International T-9 Diesel

IH OAK

There is a guy down the road a piece from us that is trying to sell a T-9 with a 10 foot blade. He says it is a Diesel but from what I have been able to find the T-9 was only gas. His Father-in-law stuck both engines many years ago. I don't have pictures but I am going to see it this afternoon. He said he would sell it for scrap. I don't know exactly what scrap is but operating weight is 10,700 Lbs. I haven't looked into parts for a rebuild but I am sure it won't be cheap. Were there any general problems that they had? Are there any special problems I should look for with the UC? Thanks.

Is there a difference between the Ag and Industrial T-9? This tractor is (I believe) an Industrial. When I saw it my light was almost dead and I could barely see through the broken window but I am sure it is yellow.

There can be a disconnect between what he says it is, and what it is. Yes, T-9 would be gasoline and TD-9 would be diesel. He could be just remembering wrong, misspeaking, whatever. You can verify when you go back to look at it.

Parts for a rebuild won't be cheap, or expensive, because there are no parts. The only parts are from other worn out machines, or that lucky find where a guy bought one new, drove it into his barn, and dropped dead the next day.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

There can be a disconnect between what he says it is, and what it is. Yes, T-9 would be gasoline and TD-9 would be diesel. He could be just remembering wrong, misspeaking, whatever. You can verify when you go back to look at it.

Parts for a rebuild won't be cheap, or expensive, because there are no parts. The only parts are from other worn out machines, or that lucky find where a guy bought one new, drove it into his barn, and dropped dead the next day.

Unless this is different than when I redid everything on my SMD, there are some parts out there, you just have to be patient looking for them and ready to pay out the nose for them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MCC said:

Unless this is different than when I redid everything on my SMD, there are some parts out there, you just have to be patient looking for them and ready to pay out the nose for them.

SMD engine would be equivalent to a TD6, not a 9.  T9 is the same engine as a W9, harder to find parts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

SMD engine would be equivalent to a TD6, not a 9.  T9 is the same engine as a W9, harder to find parts.

Yes, but I believe an outfit in Canada is making sleeves, pistons and rings new for the TD9/WD9 engines.  I would also check with FP Smith in CA.  I could be wrong, but I also thought someone was making gaskets.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MCC said:

Yes, but I believe an outfit in Canada is making sleeves, pistons and rings new for the TD9/WD9 engines.  I would also check with FP Smith in CA.  I could be wrong, but I also thought someone was making gaskets.  

What about the undercarriage?

All the engine parts in the world mean nothing if the tracks are shot. It certainly has one or more stuck steering clutches from sitting, and you can't get those either.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I believe he was just going off of what his Father-in-law told him 20+ years ago when he "locked both engines" 

Here is his story. "Dad never changed the filters or cleaned the injectors. I told him that it wouldn't run long but he said 'it will run'. Well one day he was clearing brush out back and the diesel seized up. So he started up the gas pony motor and drove it back to the barn. About fifty yards from the barn the pony motor locked up and he pushed it into the barn with the MM. Dad always made sure people understood that it was a T-9. The blade is out back. I think it is a 10 foot blade."

My edit: The TD-9s and WD-9s only had one engine. No pony motor. The diesel fires up on the gas side with a compression ratio of only about 3-1. when you through the decompression lever the flywheel keeps the engine spinning while the compression goes to about 16-1 and it starts running as a diesel. Maybe his Dad was adamant that it was a TD-9 and NOT a T-9. When we looked at it the fuel filters (It has the IH injection pump not the bosh) were laying on the floor of the operator platform. Being he ran it on the gas side AFTER the diesel "locked up" I am thinking that it might have something to do with the fuel system. We measured the blade (I thought 10 foot seemed too big) it measured at 8'2". being we don't live far (half a mile at most) we will be able to drag it mostly across fields, I talked to the county commissioner last night and he said the short stretch of highway (100 yards at most) would be fine as long as we stay on the shoulder and clean up any mess we might make.

5 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

What about the undercarriage?

All the engine parts in the world mean nothing if the tracks are shot. It certainly has one or more stuck steering clutches from sitting, and you can't get those either.

The tracks are worn but not terribly bad. The drive sprockets are also worn but not terrible. We did get the left track to turn a little but there was too much stuff in the way to try on the right one. The steering clutches are probably going to be stuck due to the cast iron crystalizing into the asbestos. The steering brakes felt like there was nothing there.

The radiator is full of clean looking coolant and the diesel tank has at least a 1/2 gallon in it. the gas tank is bone dry but not very rusty.

The grill appears to be missing.

There is no hour meter.

There are two Hyd. valves but the outside one is not hooked to anything.

There are two older batteries and the toolbox appears to have SOME of the original tools along with lots of other stuff.

I don't know but the headlights appear to be off of a ag machine because they are red.

I was sort of surprised to see a PTO on a 1952 Industrial crawler. It has the reduced speed (535 RPM) PTO. They said that their Dad ran a backhoe off of it.

Here are some pics.

IMG_6565.thumb.JPG.b01f811b7c6ea99ef1f0d8989dceb3d6.JPGIMG_6567.thumb.JPG.3d2338265ba841a9eb75cef05e4d2dac.JPGIMG_6572.thumb.JPG.aef92fd8ce90a9e2704090c12663e405.JPGIMG_6575.thumb.JPG.3df9a626ccd7f063ef0a5b170323150a.JPGIMG_6576.thumb.JPG.2458422392badd2061ef6fd50ed8ecfd.JPGIMG_6578.thumb.JPG.793a848f5bcf64369384f45b1cec5aba.JPG

Does anybody know what the part number is for the radiator cap? It is missing.

40 minutes ago, IH OAK said:

Does anybody know what the part number is for the radiator cap? It is missing.

I think you have much bigger problems to deal with, than to be worrying about a radiator cap.  Like maybe buying it and getting it home... maybe running...  ?

This thread is entertaining at the very least. 

• Like 1

I just remembered that they said that their Dad put in new rear main seals and replaced the rollers several years before it died. He died over 10 years ago and the crawler quit over 20 years ago and has been sitting since.

1 hour ago, J-Mech said:

I think you have much bigger problems to deal with, than to be worrying about a radiator cap.  Like maybe buying it and getting it home... maybe running...  ?

I already bought it and have a plan for getting it home.?

9 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

It certainly has one or more stuck steering clutches from sitting, and you can't get those either.

Right. He didn't store it with them disengaged.

I have a Parts manual and an operator's manual but I cant find a repair manual. where is the best place to get one? I am probably going to look on ebay for a used one.

You can buy steering clutch parts new but hope you don't have big hands

If the diesel side quit you would be able to continue to run the gas side, tank capacity is small and wouldn't take long to run dry

• Like 1

There where no industrial and farm crawlers back then all the same. Until the late 1950's no yellow IH. They did not have the longevity of a Cat from back then. Cat used tapered splines on steer clutch shafts and final drives,the spline never wears. The down side you need special puller to get things apart. IH used square cut splines that wear over time. Cheaper machining and less time in a bearing replacement. But you need new shafts at some point.

And the real big thing is the diesel engines need to be treated in just the right way or the head will crack.They need to warmed up at the beginning of the day. And most importantly they need to be cooled down before being shut off, 5 to 10 minutes or more if really hot.  So red paint got a bad reputation in the construction world back in the 40's and 50's. So the change to yellow paint.

There where a lot of T and TD9's here doing farm work until parts got harder and more expensive to find. Still a bunch around if you dig. But the guys that knew them and how get work out of them, without breaking them are about all gone. Even Cat tractors from the 50's that you can get parts for are hard to sell for much money and the IH's are cheaper from anyone that knows about the parts.

• Like 1

Hope you get this home and in working order without breaking the bank. ? always wanted a crawler but probably wont happen. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

• Like 2

Where there is a will, there is a way.  I'm not saying it makes financial sense, but I'm sure it is fixable if that is what you want and something a lot of people would love to have.  I mean if they can piece a B29 back to flying status, I'm sure you can find the parts if that is what you want to do.  I would enjoy the challenge myself, but am still broke from my SMD.  Best of luck to you.

• Like 2

...it appears to have the standard hour meter  of that era...just in front of the Hydraulic pump.......a ''vertical  "   set up ...It will be covered in grime...no doubt...easy to miss........I could be wrong.....but that is where the hour meter lived ...on those Tractors...both 6 and 9 models  

If the clutch (s)    steering ...are stuck......they are a SOB to  unstick...but sometimes are retrievable.....I also sanded down all the steel plates ....  with a sanding disc on a nine inch grinder......currently have three crawlers with stuck steering clutches.....!!!

Good thread on Restorations etc   re a T9   ///worth reading   ........except the Petrol engine will be far easier to deal with.....

Luck !!

Mike

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mike newman said:

...it appears to have the standard hour meter  of that era...just in front of the Hydraulic pump.......a ''vertical  "   set up ...It will be covered in grime...no doubt...easy to miss........I could be wrong.....but that is where the hour meter lived ...on those Tractors...both 6 and 9 models  

If the clutch (s)    steering ...are stuck......they are a SOB to  unstick...but sometimes are retrievable.....I also sanded down all the steel plates ....  with a sanding disc on a nine inch grinder......currently have three crawlers with stuck steering clutches.....!!!

Thanks! According to the manual these had a clock like hour meter in the dash. I didn't think to look there. I will check my manuals again.

I have been told by a friend who has done it before that with some of the steering clutches you can get up against a tree etc. and push till they come loose. Would something like kroil help? Or would it eat the asbestos? 

How are you going to push against a tree to free the steering clutch if it doesn't run, and isn't in your possession yet? 

It still needs a radiator cap too, remember?

dumpsterfire2.jpg.2ed4e1942da0cee23deeef558910f50b.jpg

• Like 1