International T-9 Diesel

IH OAK

53 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Hey now, I thought I was the only one who did that......Some of the 2 cylinders around here had copper head gaskets, we would anneal them and use them over, and over, and over again...........Don't know enough on the gas start diesel to know whether that is a good idea or not, but if you have the time, what are you out if it doesn't work?  

They have a tin covered copper. Your only out your time is right. We are going to get flamed for this badly. I put a set of heads on my godfathers U mm. Ground the valves one was burnt. Ground valves and  seats. Went back over looked through 10 gaskets hanging on nail it still runs one of the buildings at farm was moved in from another neighbors. It was a single tractor shed, they called it. About 5 wd9 gaskets hanging in that building yet

• Like 1

this young guy has time on his side and is giving everything his got! nothing he is doing is going top ruin his life and I bet he figures things out very early in life and makes something of himself

If someone doesn't like him I think they need to realize everything on here is not directed at said person. And some of us think said person is a kid by the way he treats others

just sayin?.....I missed my meds ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

One thing I am going to point out here. Carefully remove head. Carefully lift gasket. If it is still complete and looks good you can reuse the old one. Paint it with silver paint. I will get flamed hard but in a pinch the old one can be reused and is better than the new one you buy. JD 2 cyl, mm moline sand old ihc tractors we fixed for old timers you could mak do. I would pull head inspect and clean it up a bit and reinstall. It is just your time.

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Hey now, I thought I was the only one who did that......Some of the 2 cylinders around here had copper head gaskets, we would anneal them and use them over, and over, and over again...........Don't know enough on the gas start diesel to know whether that is a good idea or not, but if you have the time, what are you out if it doesn't work?  

I thought about that, I have done it a lot for older Kohlers and other small engines I have rebuilt but I thought that it probably wouldn't work on a larger engine.

I have some more pictures but I probably wont get them from my brother till tomorrow or the next day.

9 hours ago, J-Mech said:

And the success too. 

You said a month or so ago that you were done responding to his posts. Now you're still causing trouble.

DWF

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

They have a tin covered copper. Your only out your time is right. We are going to get flamed for this badly. I put a set of heads on my godfathers U mm. Ground the valves one was burnt. Ground valves and  seats. Went back over looked through 10 gaskets hanging on nail it still runs one of the buildings at farm was moved in from another neighbors. It was a single tractor shed, they called it. About 5 wd9 gaskets hanging in that building yet

These didn't have tin on them.............the A my brother has was bought new here and it had one in it, not sure who put them in, he buys them just like those from someone and still put those in new, has a new one hanging on the wall when I was down there this weekend, hate to know what those cost now, nice shiney copper for a G.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, farmalldr said:

IH OAK, just keep on truckin.  Take the info you like and run with it and let the rest fly by.  You might try here for gaskets if you haven't already.  They make them and have old stock also of some.  Good folks.  https://www.olsonsgaskets.com/

Dennis

Thanks.

I tried there but they didn't have prices.

The reason I don't want to pull the head is not money. I am the kind of guy that doesn't want to do anything I don't have to (because being it is old and has set in a barn for 25+ years something else might break and I would have to fix that too).

I got the pics from my brother.

I pulled the valve cover to see what was up and everything is covered in white slime like decayed oil.

IMG_7354.thumb.JPG.362e0d4b80598aa72cfbb40151182838.JPGIMG_7355.thumb.JPG.99146a6bc5f1a242d689112a256ece8d.JPG

the compression release cam doesnt push on the valves.

Here the cam is up.

IMG_7372.thumb.JPG.ca13816a2475bfbb2758757caf6a39f1.JPGIMG_7374.thumb.JPG.b72b8db6c63b360f79479724a253754c.JPG

And down as far as it will possibly go.

IMG_7373.thumb.JPG.ecc14f44494eedb63133e9423448e9b9.JPGIMG_7375.thumb.JPG.efe90e5c1ac74e64ff6b7548a0ab3ced.JPG

When i took the brush guard off to get the mouse nest out, I found that someone cut out the grill.

IMG_7329.thumb.JPG.61665bf8b231689ac711934eb16d823e.JPGIMG_7332.thumb.JPG.2c7057d7d42b1826394688e29b25c065.JPGIMG_7333.thumb.JPG.5c52a2570ff32313bd9939b0401a1afb.JPGIMG_7334.thumb.JPG.1110343464337c4e4297ec10204e862a.JPG

I found the clock.

IMG_7389.thumb.JPG.7f53709444550c254b14aafcb3381afa.JPGIMG_7392.thumb.JPG.68d94ae7c503c08003888d4f38078216.JPG

IMG_7357.JPG

IMG_7359.JPG

I was thinkin I  could pour atf/ascetone or diesel/engine oil mix in the exhaust and bump the valves so it can be settin in the cylinder and on the valves at the same time.

When I removed the brush guard and saw the radiator I thought "No way I am gonna use this without the brush guard." The radiator is not damaged at all.

On 8/12/2020 at 12:11 AM, ray54 said:

A head gasket is cheap in comparison to finding other engine parts for old iron. Hunt up King of Obsolete 's post in the construction equipment section here. But I must say he is just lucky to make some of his old iron run that has sat in a lake for years.

What is The topic called?

That don't look to bad to be honest, considering where it was setting....................We had engines here that didn't run in so long sitting in enclosed sheds with dirt floors that the sweating in our weather here was so bad the internals were all rusty.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IH OAK said:

I was thinkin I  could pour atf/ascetone or diesel/engine oil mix in the exhaust and bump the valves so it can be settin in the cylinder and on the valves at the same time.

as i said before you are wasting time. takes a couple hr. to remove the head remove the valves clean the valves and seats and then check them out. have you even thought that those small gas valves could be stuck then you will break the decompression unit inside the valve cover. i have seen that happen also. that engine is grossly gummed and rusted up inside there. that tell the story what the cyl's will be like. have you tryed to push on the small valves to make sure they open?? have you tryed the diesel valves to make sure they are not stuck. a diesel will need good compression to run and that wont happen when the valves are not seating due to rusted seats and valves. do it properly and tear it apart and then you will be much happier with the end result. i dont know why people think pouring stuff down exhausts and filling cyl's is a magic cure. where do you think all that rust will go? it will just clog up the rings and score the cyls. same with the head tear it all apart and do the proper clean up . i have worked on enough of these gas diesels to know what works and what dont work.  i can see reusing a head gasket as i have done that also but this is nuts. when you pulled the valve cover off that was your sign to keep going. you also asked about the decompression lever not staying engaged, i said the spring might be broken. have you checked that out? you are posting your findings but not following important advise us old guys give you. then there is the injection pump that definitly will need to come apart. you have a big job ahead. 

• Like 1

One thing to remember, IH OAK. Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from poor judgement. Listen to the suggestions from others who have already made the poor judgements, you can learn from their experience.  I think that is what rustred is trying to tell you, maybe a little more gruffly than I just did. 

• Like 2

well i dont put lipstick on anything or paint my tractors. just tell it how it is.and i do the job correctly.  just cant stand to see someone given good advice then brushes it off. and dont do the job properly. i had a super wd6 when i was about 17 and had the head off then and had it sent in to weld it. put it all together myself also. no manuals either. that was about 45  years ago. have had many of these engines apart since then.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IH OAK said:

What is The topic called?

Not clue ? this typing is high tech for me. You young one just do things ? like my 3 year old grand daughter, my fat fingers do good to type. He post a lot then disappears in the Great White North. With more thought maybe none of his IH's have been underwater only his 2 or 3 Cat D6's. Maybe on this forum you cannot look by author.

With luck the gasket is reusable. Also with luck the injector pump is Ok. But keep this quit I am not much on gas start IH diesels. They tended to be trouble,if you don't ALWAYS THREAT THEM AS THEY WANT. Like always idling them to cool down before shutting it off. I drove all sizes from TD 6 to 18,just not to much. I have delta with with old Cats that sat 20 to 30 years with no trouble. But I feel fuel made 30 years ago is better than what we buy today. Engines with this modern fuel that sit 5 years are going to be more trouble than 30 year old stuff. But only a untested theory,just something to keep in mind. On old Cat pumps you can pull a plate off and see if they move,I don't know if the IH is so friendly. So listen those that do know, Rusted seem to have been there and done that. 

• Like 1

Read thru Koo stuff just for encouragement.  If you really want to break it loose without disassembly look for his "bar starter".   Made out of an old starter with a bar welded to it to pry against the flywheel ring gear.

Make sure other bolt ons aren't seized, injector pump, water pump, distributor etc. 

If you put foreign liquids in to soak it could lead to a tear down to clean out .........

• Like 2

As of just now, compression release valves 3 and 4 are open. I have a piece of bailing twine holding the compression release lever open.

Two of the valves are open. I can't find anything in either of my manuals about which one is what and the manifolds don't help either.

525293316_copyedit.thumb.JPG.96a5181f6c067f6a92c7f27676d85bcb.JPG
I would probably pull the head now but I don't want to do it outside where it is setting because I don't know how long it would be off and I would rather it be outside. I don't really have a good way to get it in because our tractor is out of commission. 

Thanks SO MUCH for the advice!

Next time I am in town I am gonna get a couple of cases of brake parts cleaner, a coupe cans of kroil, a gallon of atf and a gallon of ascetone.

11 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

Read thru Koo stuff just for encouragement.  If you really want to break it loose without disassembly look for his "bar starter".   Made out of an old starter with a bar welded to it to pry against the flywheel ring gear.

Make sure other bolt ons aren't seized, injector pump, water pump, distributor etc. 

If you put foreign liquids in to soak it could lead to a tear down to clean out .........

yes i have seen that starter bar set up he made. but that dont mean the engine is going to run if it happens to pop free. a tear down is still in order. the only thing on the positive side is the muffler being covered is better chance of breaking it free. if open to water its remove engine, complete tear down with a cutting torch and hyd. press to press out the sleeves. thats the worst case though. i am working on a massey 44 special that had water get into it. and its a mess. 

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

• Like 1

I just went out and checked, only compression release valve 1 is stuck. all of the Diesel valves are free.

What is this? It is grounded to the distributor. I can't find it in any of my manuals.

1571365735_COPYEDIT(2).thumb.JPG.67f596db5334012a248ab7087dc6ada9.JPG