International T-9 Diesel

IH OAK

Oak, the advise Rustred ,Dale and TP are what I would do with your engine, If I was doing this project I would try to get it running ( this one take head off ) and re use gasket:huh: ( be sure to retorque it after you warm it up and torque it down about 10 ft lbs more than it calls for)

after its running you can assess what condition everything is in and you may have a change in direction on it. Engines sitting that long do weird things and it could need a major overhaul which is very expensive for those engines. I always keep in mind what the final value will be and if it makes me money or just sits there. Don't get married to this project by getting in to the point of no return My wife used to occasionally   give me a question or two about a purchase and I always came back with" I don't but anything that I cannot sell and get my money back in a weeks time if need be"  I am not telling you what to do but rather what I usually do with dead iron btw- I wouldn't reuse a head gasket for anyone but myself. that can come back to bite you in the arse if it fails or the owner will complain to ppl that you put the head back on it and it didn't last - they will forget that you did them a favor and advised them of the risks

since I mentioned the words I live by I will share one a tractor jockey friend told me many years ago that works for me as well. We were standing around talking about tractors and he said I got a motto ! '( I was waiting for something up there with Socrates ?) and he said " If its orange I don't buy it"✔️ works for me too?

• Like 1

If you can salvage the gasket and it looks in very good shape lightly brush off loose stuff to clean and apply a medium spray of aluminium paint, KOOs other magic was Permatex aviation gasket, this stuff is like a gooy shellac 

He is at the end of the road in the north and improvise is a necessity but he has had much success

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hardtail said:

If you can salvage the gasket and it looks in very good shape lightly brush off loose stuff to clean and apply a medium spray of aluminium paint, KOOs other magic was Permatex aviation gasket, this stuff is like a gooy shellac 

He is at the end of the road in the north and improvise is a necessity but he has had much success

I use permatex aviation gasket shellac on all new gaskets(Other than head gaskets) myself.  Helps hold them in place until the fasteners are tight, probably also helps them bond, but don't know that for fact.  Old heads here used it, it rubbed off on me.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I use permatex aviation gasket shellac on all new gaskets(Other than head gaskets) myself.  Helps hold them in place until the fasteners are tight, probably also helps them bond, but don't know that for fact.  Old heads here used it, it rubbed off on me.  

the best thing to use on all gaskets is permatex high tack sealer including all head gaskets. i have been uing this stuff for almost 50 years and its the only thing i use. gaskets remove very easy. not like shellac garbage that turns into cement then the next guy is swearing at who put this engie together. a real pain in the azz to clean up too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rustred said:

the best thing to use on all gaskets is permatex high tack sealer including all head gaskets. i have been uing this stuff for almost 50 years and its the only thing i use. gaskets remove very easy. not like shellac garbage that turns into cement then the next guy is swearing at who put this engie together. a real pain in the azz to clean up too.

I am with you on the High Tack on all gaskets but the head gasket and I have used it on head gaskets until I discovered Permatex Copper Spray a Gasket. 

Copper Spray-A-Gasket™ Hi-Temp Sealant by Permatex®, 12 oz. Aerosol Can. Fast-drying, metallic copper sealant helps dissipate heat, prevents gasket burnout and improves heat transfer. Fills minor surface irregularities. Seals...
Fast-drying
Temperature range -50 °F to 500 °F (-45 °C to 260 °C) more details on - https://www.carid.com/gasketing.html

Suggested Applications: Cylinder head gaskets, carburetor gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets and other high temperature applications

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hillman said:

I am with you on the High Tack on all gaskets but the head gasket and I have used it on head gaskets until I discovered Permatex Copper Spray a Gasket. 

I use Permatex Copper on head gaskets or Aluminum paint, and like I said, aviation on the rest.  

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 1:15 PM, rustred said:

as i said before you are wasting time. takes a couple hr. to remove the head remove the valves clean the valves and seats and then check them out. have you even thought that those small gas valves could be stuck then you will break the decompression unit inside the valve cover. i have seen that happen also. that engine is grossly gummed and rusted up inside there. that tell the story what the cyl's will be like. have you tryed to push on the small valves to make sure they open?? have you tryed the diesel valves to make sure they are not stuck. a diesel will need good compression to run and that wont happen when the valves are not seating due to rusted seats and valves. do it properly and tear it apart and then you will be much happier with the end result. i dont know why people think pouring stuff down exhausts and filling cyl's is a magic cure. where do you think all that rust will go? it will just clog up the rings and score the cyls. same with the head tear it all apart and do the proper clean up . i have worked on enough of these gas diesels to know what works and what dont work.  i can see reusing a head gasket as i have done that also but this is nuts. when you pulled the valve cover off that was your sign to keep going. you also asked about the decompression lever not staying engaged, i said the spring might be broken. have you checked that out? you are posting your findings but not following important advise us old guys give you. then there is the injection pump that definitly will need to come apart. you have a big job ahead. 

The decompression lever doesn't stick because valve 1 won't go down and it can't move far enough to lock.

The spring is not broken.

I am planning on sending the injectors and maybe the pump to a friend who has a diesel shop.

On 8/12/2020 at 7:54 PM, dale560 said:

They have a tin covered copper. Your only out your time is right. We are going to get flamed for this badly. I put a set of heads on my godfathers U mm. Ground the valves one was burnt. Ground valves and  seats. Went back over looked through 10 gaskets hanging on nail it still runs one of the buildings at farm was moved in from another neighbors. It was a single tractor shed, they called it. About 5 wd9 gaskets hanging in that building 

If I recall correctly, King of Obsolete reuses almost all of his IH headgaskets as long as they're not trashed. Seems like he coats them in aviation sealer or something. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I saw him state that at on time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RBootsMI said:

If I recall correctly, King of Obsolete reuses almost all of his IH headgaskets as long as they're not trashed. Seems like he coats them in aviation sealer or something. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I saw him state that at on time.

Yes the old time guys would hardly never buy a new head gasket. But modern gaskets don’t lend themselves to reuse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

Yes the old time guys would hardly never buy a new head gasket. But modern gaskets don’t lend themselves to reuse.

yes and they only used grease on them also. not all this spray stuff we have.

• Like 3

On 8/15/2020 at 10:52 PM, RBootsMI said:

Thanks.

One of my brothers is an A&P aircraft mechanic and his boss can get stuff like this cheap.

13 hours ago, IH OAK said:

Thanks.

One of my brothers is an A&P aircraft mechanic and his boss can get stuff like this cheap.

airplanes and these engines is two different things. they is no parts out there so how can he get them cheap. i heard it all now. sleeves and pistons are about 2k. gaskets about 400,00 doing the head can be 1000.00. no problem to throw 10k at that engine!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, rustred said:

airplanes and these engines is two different things. they is no parts out there so how can he get them cheap. i heard it all now. sleeves and pistons are about 2k. gaskets about 400,00 doing the head can be 1000.00. no problem to throw 10k at that engine!

He is talking about aviation gasket shellac I believe.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TP from Central PA said:

He is talking about aviation gasket shellac I believe.

sure dont need that  garbage!  you ever try to clean gasket surfaces with that stuff? like cement. permatex high tack is for gaskets and if he cant afford10.00 for a can something really funny.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rustred said:

sure dont need that  garbage!  you ever try to clean gasket surfaces with that stuff? like cement. permatex high tack is for gaskets and if he cant afford10.00 for a can something really funny.

I like it, use it a lot.......my brother works for cat in the gen-set end of the business, they are required to use it in those applications as oil leaks are a no-no.  Never had any issues cleaning it, have the finger pads for die grinder to clean, but when I put something together it's not normally torn apart for a long time after either.  Old heads here we learned from used it often, but a lot of that could be because aircraft engines are built here, as were Piper air planes at one time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I like it, use it a lot.......my brother works for cat in the gen-set end of the business, they are required to use it in those applications as oil leaks are a no-no.  Never had any issues cleaning it, have the finger pads for die grinder to clean, but when I put something together it's not normally torn apart for a long time after either.  Old heads here we learned from used it often, but a lot of that could be because aircraft engines are built here, as were Piper air planes at one time.

have you tryed this permatex gasket sealer. ? no leaks thats why i use it. and the gasket just peels off. i also know a cat mechanic and he also said no shellac. 

2 minutes ago, rustred said:

have you tryed this permatex gasket sealer. ? no leaks thats why i use it. and the gasket just peels off. i also know a cat mechanic and he also said no shellac. 

Was he a gen-set tech?  I actually get what I use from my brother.  I say it's permatex but it's actually from the lock tight brand.

The shellac can be a challenge to clean and may render useless for a third time

They are making a ton of better products all the time, used to like that about working maintenance company paid for trying new products all the time and some were very good

Careful Red what did the young nearsighted gunslinger say in Unforgiven, you guys are some crotchety old hens...lol

Here are the different products. The permatex aviation sealer I have used on tons of head and intake gaskets. The Indian head and high tack worked good on other gaskets. The copper coat works well for old head gaskets. Even jd has their own can of permatex.  Most new style gaskets get a light coating on outside perimeter then nothing but the coating on gasket it was supplied with

803EDC34-3920-44F7-B2C0-34A0B92A513F.png

5B7F5B6F-10E1-403E-8826-912E0177BB1D.png

0F3E5A31-87CD-412C-8426-8CC455699D02.png

D6DC0DFD-B8B2-4DAF-AD96-87871D8D681F.png

E9726E39-BCD5-408C-9279-185DC661AA70.png

• Like 1

I love listening to you guys talk about magic compounds in a bottle.  I have used magic bottles a few times, but install most all my gaskets dry and I seldom have leaks.  If I do, it was either from damage during installation,  or poor mating surfaces.  In either case magic bottles are not going to cure it.  Most every modern gasket says to install dry.  I don't reuse old gaskets.  Not unless they are new rubber coated metal made for multiple use, or old copper/metal non crush gaskets made for reuse.  Coating a solid metal gasket in hi-tack or copper spray is actually recommended.  As I recall, the 5.9 Cummins had a few years they used solid metal gaskets (2005~? Range) and said to coat them.  I do not apply it to "everything".  Shoot, for what it is worth, there are some very good RTV and anerobic products that basically render a lot of gaskets unnecessary now.  Obviously except head gaskets and few others.  Point is, you guys say you "always" use the stuff and "never" have leaks.  I say I "never" use the stuff and "never" have leaks.... so, it seems to be pointless debate.

Oh, and Indian Head shellac should be banned.  That stuff is terrible. I hate it, and the guys I work for think it's just wonderful.  

Agreed, like most things reuse means it must have some good baseline condition for any chance of success then the proper inspection and preparation of surfaces, reuse I would go with the potion of your choice, new I would follow the recommendations of the manufacturer, drag racers seem to use the right stuff almost exclusively for replacing general gaskets and copper for head, my buddy likes this CIH stuff in a red tube on his equipment , likely made by loctite or permatex, the silicone style products can work well if properly applied and cause other problems when not

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dale560 said:

I guess that’s why everything i have leaks.

Tell you what, if anyone here owns a '00 to '55 series Oliver and it doesn't mark its territory, I will switch to what ever they are doing!  Tractors do leak, but I never been around another brand that can and do leak like those things do.  I couldn't imagine one with a Detroit in it leaking along with everything else to the rear of it!

• Haha 1