Sign in to follow this  
WishIhada1466

The Horse and Mule Thread

2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

20140811_121415.thumb.jpg.ef4b3e45ceecc9f8930003eadc9c8807.jpg

I called her pony kids called her rose, she could drive single/double or ride - she had little mans syndrome like most ponies and ruled the pasture!!!

Below is a lil red dun Chili, she was spicy - sold her to a gal for running barrels 

SAM_0266.thumb.JPG.0073d2283ee7e8aa36205152ace2c005.JPG

SAM_0249.thumb.JPG.9a3fbb085ecf216cd02c014ad3beb073.JPGSAM_0250.thumb.JPG.00dfc9e1797c674354bb62f4baa476c6.JPG

My fox trotter Mare Lady, was perfect for me, she had been broken hard and beaten, i rescued her and made her into a great horse. She only trusted me tho. She would drive single/double or trails, rode her in many fun shows with my daughter and friend. Do anything you ask and ran well for a trotter. I found her a good home with a gentle owner. 

SAM_0240.thumb.JPG.d9874c91c72e63c0ea332c77b11a9acb.JPG

SAM_0234.thumb.JPG.f3c7ff4c07b91b16c35226143e00515e.JPG

Me and Sam, he was a draft cross, he was/is at the stables at Big Cedar Lodge south of Branson, MO. He got picked on and beat up and if you look closely can see some of his injuries. I always go love on him when i go down there. Hes a gentle giant!!!

SAM_1295.thumb.JPG.f67bf59b87c4b72254a559028c1708fc.JPG

This was Nitro and my daughter he was a successful college rodeo horse, he would goat tie and barrels were his events. 

SAM_1492.thumb.JPG.d3fdb336bc2db4b51930580071c0d551.JPGSAM_1491.thumb.JPG.de81f1043d3a737dc8d7ec690b9dea6e.JPG

We will be at Big Cedar the end of February. I'll see if I can find Sam in the stables.

• Like 2

that would be neat if he is still there, that picture was about 12 to14 yrs ago

Finally found a picture of my limousine surrey and my mare Lady and gelding Tom. They were both fox trotters/gaited. 

The guy following me ( larry ) was riding a gated mule 

1618496336_TomnLady1.thumb.jpg.3531ee9d6f5e4b3c81722273e9e1df7f.jpg

• Like 2

FB_IMG_1577923941922.thumb.jpg.2705a63c749681c7fbd20c44065f2b71.jpg

Above camp in the Big Horns. Over 9000'. End of July and bundled up. It sure was a nice change from the 90's and 100's back home at the time. Horses sure enjoyed it. 

FB_IMG_1577924003716.thumb.jpg.7f3f6fa5f150b9f3226ce56695730a8b.jpgLunch at Lake Solitude. Elk mountain in the background.

FB_IMG_1577924112743.thumb.jpg.d72cf877c78fcf0a9319099cb078e1bc.jpg

Big Horns

FB_IMG_1577924132521.thumb.jpg.b219454326af5714f09cc70a99b468b2.jpgFresh as a mountain stream.

FB_IMG_1577924123807.thumb.jpg.c6406bd25ace579059dd4029231c187d.jpg

FB_IMG_1577924145537.thumb.jpg.a39c18c3465f69157eccc2d1577f1a1f.jpgCamp in the Big Horns. Our horses are on the highline.

FB_IMG_1577924042491.thumb.jpg.81cae942f180aa21428254d8d74190bc.jpgHorses belonging to some of the cowboys taking care of the cattle in the mountains. 

FB_IMG_1577924293933.jpg.b5d6d127b9e9f39e1a0a0f174dae24a2.jpgRode to Rushmore in the Black Hills. Tied across the road and went over to the visitors center.

FB_IMG_1577924375457.jpg.324424bca3cfe050d8d7961a63fe2d73.jpg

Black Hills

FB_IMG_1577924472053.jpg.2be64396edf01563371c6f67cd12c32c.jpg

FB_IMG_1577924391919.jpg.b91a5b6fa0db36e78e0f3efb30f5ad81.jpg

Nebraska National Forest in Halsey

FB_IMG_1577924413658.jpg.0ddb9934d334e33ebe73696804d9e30b.jpg

Nebraska National Forest in Halsey. 

FB_IMG_1577924436589.jpg.696f90fa0e57030491c48f6c2604c973.jpg

Driving 700 bred cows to calving pasture. 

• Like 6

On 12/29/2019 at 11:27 AM, lorenzo said:

H Royal Rare     AKA   Roy   Great great grand son of Secretariat 

67F527AE-85E9-40A3-8F0F-24D35D60B6C3.jpeg.20909fec95899d502689db3769f894f6.jpeg

A true story referencing Secretariat:

I had a friend (now passed on) that worked in the development----long range planning department for a planning district in northeast Missisippi in his younger days.  He was sent to Kentucky to do some research on some special project------and was sent out to meet with someone on one of the big horse farms.  He found the fellow out on the farm amongst the horses.

Finished their business and the conversation moved over to horses.  There was one horse who was nearby that had been rolling in a mud hole while they talked.

Nick had been watching him------and walked over by the fence and asked "what's this horse's name"?

The fellow replied "that's Secretariat" totally dumbfounding Nick.  Nick had to snap his picture.

The funny part now: Nick brought the picture back to Mississippi and showed the muddy horse picture to several of his knowledgeable horse friends saying a man was trying to sell him this horse--------what do you think he is worth?  The highest price suggested was $125!!!!!!

Everybody was dumbfounded when they found out it was Secretariat.🐴

Proves two things:

1.  A horse will be a horse.

2.  You can't judge a book by looking at the cover!!!

Roy is a fine looking animal Lorenzo.👍

DD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My team, Mae & Belle ... on a sleigh ride with friends New Years Eve day.. nice mid winter temps for northern Alberta made it an enjoyable afternoon.. 

07B4C060-5AEA-46CB-911E-BF89865EAF63.jpeg

• Like 7

On 12/30/2019 at 7:49 PM, Eric V Bielke said:

My neighbor was a draft horse guy.  Th e team was used mostly for light farming operations -----parades etc. As they got older the were mostly pets.   One day when he came home from work one of the team was missing.  He found him on a hill in the pasture laying under a large tree.  He got his backhoe and buried him their.   One year to the day the other horse was missing.   He found him laying on the grave of his deceased partner.-----A true story----I still get teared up when I tell of it.

WOW simply amazing how animals are able to do that. Thanks for sharing! 

On another note I used to be heavy into watching The Roy Rogers Show and back in 2013 I had one of my showpigs names Trigger.......that’s about as close to owning a horse as I’ve been so far. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, north of 60 said:

My team, Mae & Belle ... on a sleigh ride with friends New Years Eve day.. nice mid winter temps for northern Alberta made it an enjoyable afternoon.. 

07B4C060-5AEA-46CB-911E-BF89865EAF63.jpeg

Those are beautiful - percherons i presume - i had a neighbor that used to compete with draft pulling teams and they are some amazing animals - do you have leather or biothane harnesses? The amish made mine for me and I chose the biothane just for the ease of cleaning and care. Looks like you went stainless like I did. So gorgeous and powerful.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

Those are beautiful - percherons i presume - i had a neighbor that used to compete with draft pulling teams and they are some amazing animals - do you have leather or biothane harnesses? The amish made mine for me and I chose the biothane just for the ease of cleaning and care. Looks like you went stainless like I did. So gorgeous and powerful.  

Thx... yes, Percherons... one is part Canadian, but other than having a smaller head, they match up decently and “walk up” nicely together...

This is my fancy harness, it is leather,  and seems to get heavier to get up on their backs  each year, lol.... I have a utility harness I use for regular chores .... also leather, but not near as heavy..

• Like 1

aaaah yes the leather and LARGER harness is really heavy for sure - i do miss the driving, outside of the one time i dropped a rein 😰

• Like 1

My grandad was into Percherons back in the day. My dad love all horses very disappointed to see a Caterpillar diesel tractor come to the farm in 1934. Not so impressed by mules, was taken to Bishop Cailf Mule Days in 1977?. Someone ask how he like the mules,"average horse is better than the best mule". But this was in regard to cutting and roping of them.

Much easier to have good horses by just riding them several days a week all day. The old saying was "wet saddle blankets we make a good horse".

• Like 5

You're a better horseman when you ride every day also.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, exSW said:

You're a better horseman when you ride every day also.

That is for sure. My horses and I were both alot better when I rode daily in the fall and winter when the yards were full of fats and the cornstalks had yearlings running on them. I wish I had more pictures of those times but I didnt have a smart phone and was usually too busy. 

• Like 1

I’ve explained or tried to explain to my wife a few times over the years about the special bond you can establish with your horse, and the feeling you can experience when riding on a nice day in a nice location on a favourite horse.. so she saw this sign and thought it captured what I was trying to explain ....  

CD070711-680A-4D89-A790-1711A233C66C.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, north of 60 said:

I’ve explained or tried to explain to my wife a few times over the years about the special bond you can establish with your horse, and the feeling you can experience when riding on a nice day in a nice location on a favourite horse.. so she saw this sign and thought it captured what I was trying to explain ....  

CD070711-680A-4D89-A790-1711A233C66C.jpeg

Your are closer to God when your in the saddle and even closer when getting bucked off! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, redneckhippie said:

Your are closer to God when your in the saddle and even closer when getting bucked off! 

For a little bit, then you go the other way and so does your language, well mine anyway😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, sandhiller said:

For a little bit, then you go the other way and so does your language, well mine anyway😁

I cant take credit. I saw it on facebook. If you dont land right ya just might make it to heaven or elsewhere.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

0EBD7A93-BD07-4F91-B143-56401C6B5DC1.thumb.jpeg.101cf142a8af0849c2d58e26023a5124.jpeg

Damn barrel racers....

17 minutes ago, exSW said:

Damn barrel racers....

being a father of a barrel racer, and personally starting in 4-H with a horse and having them around off and on as long as i can remember, going to fun shows and exposure to more high end stuff like the american royal and in the horse circle in general, there are people with horses and then there are HORSE PEOPLE. 

There are some real whack jobs out there that are so self indulged that their horse, their clothes, their truck, their trailer, their life literally is wrapped around the HORSE. More $$ than sense is the term i like to use. A good portion of them dont know what to do with a horse if it would act up or not get in a trailer, cant understand when the horse decides today is HIS day and not theirs to run the show, and then not know how to wrap their head around it. 

A good portion of the barrel horses i was around were not cultured enough to be around anything but an arena and a barrel. Example, they would blow up around the goats in the pens for goat roping, they would spook around the cattle for roping or riding. They would run like forest gump when rounding a barrel from a banner hanging on the fence. 

I would sit on my mare a lot at arenas to get my mare used to being hauled around, noises, sights, everything, trying to give her what i call culture - sat on her for hours n hours and if out in the hot sun i carried a HUGE golf umbrella so i could sit in the shade or ward of a shower. I made sooooooo many people MAD and women would tell me to I HAD TO close my umbrella because it would make their horse spook during competition. Those women i never complied with, the ladies that asked if i wouldnt mind when they ran to fold up my umbrella I certainly obliged. 

What a cluster of equidiots. They buy a horse, truck, hat n boots n think they are a cowboy. Ive owned horses all my life and would NEVER call myself a cowboy - it would be a total disrespect to every cowboy that lives or has lived. 

The thought/quote above can only be understood by someone that has connected with their horse - Winston Churchill said this " the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man " that is as true a quote ever spoken. 

Dont get me wrong I love my tractors, I am glad i have them, I use them a ton and they are great but I have shed more tears over sick, hurt, lame, dead, wonderful horses than all of my tractors combined. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

The thought/quote above can only be understood by someone that has connected with their horse - Winston Churchill said this " the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man " that is as true a quote ever spoken. 

I've had a lot of horse's in my day. All differ breeds never any show horse's . I totally enjoyed them and they sure help clam a soul down when around them. I had two mustang's and love them dearly. My handicapp daughter is going thru a discovery rider's program now with horse's and she has really conneted with the horse. It is amazing to see these handicapp kids out there with the horse. They really enjoy iy and it helps with their low muscle tones and other low skills.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

I've had a lot of horse's in my day. All differ breeds never any show horse's . I totally enjoyed them and they sure help clam a soul down when around them. I had two mustang's and love them dearly. My handicapp daughter is going thru a discovery rider's program now with horse's and she has really conneted with the horse. It is amazing to see these handicapp kids out there with the horse. They really enjoy iy and it helps with their low muscle tones and other low skills.

therapy with horses is something not truly understood - the depth of connection with the souls of the people in the therapy nor the soul of the horse that connects with some people and not others - I have seen that many times - my daughters mare is like that with her - if she hears my daughters voice, she will come running, if anyone else goes out there her mare ignores them. my mare was the same with me. The thought that a horse will take care of its rider is amazing too, we had a horse when i was growing up, it would never go faster than she knew we were capable of going, she was only as spirited as the ability of the rider. We put neighbor kids on here that never rode and she would stand there or only go slow. Funny how they know.....thats a good horse the rotten nasty cranky horses - they never stayed around my place long. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

The thought that a horse will take care of its rider is amazing too, we had a horse when i was growing up, it would never go faster than she knew we were capable of going, she was only as spirited as the ability of the rider.

HAd a thoughbred that was like that we would put my daughter on her and she would just there with her on until some one would lead her around. Lived to be 28 had to bury that one. A sad day.

• Like 1

"I know there's horsewomen that are handier with a horse than me. 

But not every damn one of them!"