Sign in to follow this  
WishIhada1466

The Horse and Mule Thread

Wow guys! Nice pics and absolutely beautiful scenery! I am not a horse person but some of the photos are like a postcard!

• Like 1

Gdaughter, city slicker , tells me she wants to be a "country girl"

Told her, "show me, don"t tell me"

20191128_193820.jpg

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, MTO said:

What a stud!

There was a mare or two around...

• Haha 2

I grew up around horses but this is my first. Totaled a motorcycle and bought her with the money.  Neighbor found her dead one morning. She was only about 7. Tore me up pretty bad. Still have horses but not much interest since then. Nikki was about 4 in this pic and I was around 30. We had some good rides!

20191012_135405.jpg

• Like 6

Lucky an Tigger! My big dogs are the horses I have now and will probably be my last.Lucky has got to be in his 30s. Starting to get hard to keep weight on. He use to be a lot huskier. 

20190702_071821.jpg

• Like 5

And then there is Mike. He is in his 40s. I am his care provider now and will probably be his last.😪

Moms neighbors were going to get rid of him years ago so she started taking care of him. She cant anymore so it's been passed down to me. It has been a rough go the last 6 months but he is usually still happy to see me so I keep trying. I guess I better take some more pics.

20191229_203852.jpg

• Like 4

........pretty horse's.........pretty country.........pretty  girls.......you folk have it all:)

.......50 years   of backhoes/  excavators,  and living in a rural   area, has given me a lot of "close up and personal " experiences with horses.........sadly it has been about giving some semblance of dignity to a much loved horse/pony whilst    sad eyed   owners look on.................

Great pictures from you blokes....thankyou one and all ........

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don’t have a picture of him cause the access to phone cameras wasn’t good when he was in his prime and he was teaching me to cowboy. He came off the Drummond ranch and he could definitely cow. He was a better ranch horse than an arena horse and green riders was scared of him with cattle around cause he could change direction without shifting gears.  I got him as a blown up head horse. I worked him through his arena and box issues and made something out of him again. For a long time he was my go to mount. Even after I retired him he was my trusted pasture horse when I needed him. Last year he was at the ripe age of 32 when the other horses came up to feed and he wasn’t there. He was the top dog and the rest followed him so I knew something was up. Jump on the atv and go searching and I found a newborn calf I didn’t know I had yet and also found him laying peaceful beside the pond. Still alive but I couldn’t get him up and knew it was his time. I talked to him for a while then I left him beside the pond. 

I’ve had to shoot other horses of mine when the time came but I didn’t have the heart to do it to him. He wasn't struggling or suffering and that was the spot he picked so I wasn’t gonna take it from him. The next day I went back to see him and cut off some of his mane for memories.  Sorry for the long post without pics but I didn’t want any pics of him being retired. I wanted pics  of him kicking butt and I don’t have any.  Just good memories.  I’ll take some of my others and get them up when I get a chance

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tmtbob said:

Don’t have a picture of him cause the access to phone cameras wasn’t good when he was in his prime and he was teaching me to cowboy. He came off the Drummond ranch and he could definitely cow. He was a better ranch horse than an arena horse and green riders was scared of him with cattle around cause he could change direction without shifting gears.  I got him as a blown up head horse. I worked him through his arena and box issues and made something out of him again. For a long time he was my go to mount. Even after I retired him he was my trusted pasture horse when I needed him. Last year he was at the ripe age of 32 when the other horses came up to feed and he wasn’t there. He was the top dog and the rest followed him so I knew something was up. Jump on the atv and go searching and I found a newborn calf I didn’t know I had yet and also found him laying peaceful beside the pond. Still alive but I couldn’t get him up and knew it was his time. I talked to him for a while then I left him beside the pond. 

I’ve had to shoot other horses of mine when the time came but I didn’t have the heart to do it to him. He wasn't struggling or suffering and that was the spot he picked so I wasn’t gonna take it from him. The next day I went back to see him and cut off some of his mane for memories.  Sorry for the long post without pics but I didn’t want any pics of him being retired. I wanted pics  of him kicking butt and I don’t have any.  Just good memories.  I’ll take some of my others and get them up when I get a chance

Shooting horses is tough. The best one I ever had did the same for me. Cleaned up his dinner one night, laid down and died an hour or two later. He was pushing forty. I've fostered more than a few that weren't mine to the end. Harsh as it sounds it'll make you a believer in kill floors. Horses die long and hard. Especially it seems the ones that have had good lives.

• Like 2

Great thread--------great pictures.

The famous horse Wrangler doesn't have any fancy pedigree papers------just his Coggins and vaccination papers..

But we will take him like he is-------All Horse.  He is 20 now-------lost vision in his right eye and has recently come down with some urinary problems that we are treating him for. 

Resized_20191108_153025.thumb.jpeg.aa0a0a2a9ed953309fadab1c550470dc.jpeg

20131015_112804.thumb.jpg.b53cb03969d9f265f1fc0ae2b78f475e.jpg

Great to see the little children with the horses.  We originally bought him for the grandchildren------he has always been fascinated with the little ones.  And-----grampa and gramma have been fascinated with him--------he is just a big pet now.

20141108_154445-1.jpg.0012b67d00a10d22c2f4d65230a34872.jpg

He used to be pretty fast--------Wrangler and I were talking about that once and he went on to tell me that his great grandaddy (Tornado) ran for the Pony Express and his grandaddy (Lightning) had been one of Jesse James favorite steeds.  I never was able to find any evidence to back up either claim---------but I have never caught him lieing to me!!!20191220_113645.jpg.be9dd183df43a408e12af2836f1a9561.jpg

I now refer to him as my best friend and "my big brown pill".  He does more for this old codger than all of the pills I take.

Funny------what the outside of a horse will do for the inside of a man. 

Keep the pictures coming.....

DD

• Like 7

My neighbor was a draft horse guy.  Th e team was used mostly for light farming operations -----parades etc. As they got older the were mostly pets.   One day when he came home from work one of the team was missing.  He found him on a hill in the pasture laying under a large tree.  He got his backhoe and buried him their.   One year to the day the other horse was missing.   He found him laying on the grave of his deceased partner.-----A true story----I still get teared up when I tell of it.

• Like 7

538E2D9C-A42C-4F83-A3BD-627712B4EC84.jpegWe picked this one up last year.  He’s got doc bar in Him on both sides. Hoping he’ll make a good head horse.  I call him Charley

45836292-7EBD-457E-A218-11EEA2162199.jpegThis is one of my better head horses.  Won a lot of money and saddles on his back and another heavy bred doc bar horse.  

3244816D-6120-48E2-BB48-40BCB0FF671E.jpegI picked her up cheap for a practice horse cause she’s another one that takes an experienced rider. She’s one of the faster ones I’ve had over the years and I don’t remember ever being outran on her. Little goofy and I call her h3ll b!tch. My mom doesn’t like that and calls her Hillary. I’ll let you figure out where that name came from. Yes they are all fat and probably lazy now. Seems like my plate always gets more on it with things I have to do instead of things I like or want to do. 

• Like 4

This is what my wife bought for me when she was looking for a horse, said me and the mule have a lot in common.

AD758380-6479-4E2C-ADB7-F9F9F3165F83.jpeg

F7092F84-6F93-4D30-AB8C-18110047C3E4.jpeg

• Like 3

Some of ya'll may be able to shed some light on Wrangler's urinary problems.

I noticed one morning that he went to 4 different spots trying to pee-----straining hard but no water passed.  Feeling of his belly-----he was real tender on the bottom left side and he was somewhat lethargic------just not quite himself.

Got him across to the vet------no sign of any infection.  Vet is concerned that he might have a tumor or something putting pressure on some nerves.

With all of mine and my wife's health issues-------and his loss of vision in one eye;  going off for scans and possible surgery is not a practical option.

Gave him several medicines to relax his system and got him back to peeing------and brought him home taking banamine every other day.  So far----so good;  got two more doses of banamine to go and will see what happens when we get off of the banamine.

Under side of left belly is still tender-----eating and drinking OK;  appears to feel OK.  He is definitely aging fast.

Anybody experienced anything similar??

DD

No clue on bladder problems. Hope its something that clears up. One of my geldings has a nervous bladder or something.  He goes everytime I feed him and he had to go a few times on the only ride I took him on. I think that's why they sold him.

A very lucky horse,  well taken care of.

Feet were manicured to perfection.

013.thumb.JPG.afd8f2dcfdb6f3ef2e895fc9155397f5.JPG

• Like 1

036.thumb.JPG.4faa5d433e2e9dfeaa75a96c4c6d9d52.JPG   085.thumb.JPG.37fade015b1f3fb370e820e34e52b580.JPG

One owner, Low miles, Just had it's knees replaced.

Who said that you need a dog to tree a coon??🐴

20130305_123302.thumb.jpg.d63c952fff1664e0495c0a1abece14f6.jpg

20130305_123721.thumb.jpg.c1d0984aa2d111a2167c27939e24fb02.jpg

From years ago.

I ran up on these pictures looking for something else this morning.  Really was fun to watch both Wrangler and the coon.  They don't miss much that happens in their barn or pasture.

DD

• Like 3

Practice pen pickup '86-87 thereabouts. Yella was a soured saddle bronc that came out of some amateur stock contractors pen. So they thought he'd make a calf rope horse!!!? He showed up and the boss said "he's yours,fix him" .After quite a while he made a decent pickup horse,wheat pasture and after I got the box sour cured,heading horse. Little light weight for dragging bulls around. He always did throw his head like that. Spike hair,RayBans, beer company tshirt,no chaps or shin guards College Rodeo in the 80's. I had the world by the a$$ and didn't know it.

14425451_309482709421744_4598104019488512426_o.jpg

• Like 4

we have sold all our horses - we have had grade/registered/gaited/western/riders n drivers loved them all to varying degrees and hated them at certain moments 😉

Image10152011201621.jpg.854760aa9027a2de20fde8eb944feeba.jpg

good ole jake/bay great cow horse, quarter/thorough cross, would run down anything you put in front of him - clara in the background

Image11212011141132.thumb.jpg.f8bafcaa422d41388a55c403ed0bd2d8.jpg

Above Let to Right, Kate, Willow, Stealth

This is Yankee Below, he loved attention and was a good boy - best pole horse ive ever been around or owned if you could ride him that fast he would make u a winner!!!

Image09052011213852.jpg.c1303d0ba057a717f75ae17e67e8878c.jpg

This was Liberty below, she was the most amazing horse i have ever been around, would run up to the fence like a jolly dog every time she heard the door open or a voice, frolicking around like a kid, she always wanted to be ridden and would give you all she had, we were just getting ready to turn her loose to compete on barrels and she was struck by lightening and killed behind our barn - so sad 

Image09042012112503.thumb.jpg.0f47b192a0ed9b87a1fed09a35bd3369.jpg

• Like 3

20140811_121415.thumb.jpg.ef4b3e45ceecc9f8930003eadc9c8807.jpg

I called her pony kids called her rose, she could drive single/double or ride - she had little mans syndrome like most ponies and ruled the pasture!!!

Below is a lil red dun Chili, she was spicy - sold her to a gal for running barrels 

SAM_0266.thumb.JPG.0073d2283ee7e8aa36205152ace2c005.JPG

SAM_0249.thumb.JPG.9a3fbb085ecf216cd02c014ad3beb073.JPGSAM_0250.thumb.JPG.00dfc9e1797c674354bb62f4baa476c6.JPG

My fox trotter Mare Lady, was perfect for me, she had been broken hard and beaten, i rescued her and made her into a great horse. She only trusted me tho. She would drive single/double or trails, rode her in many fun shows with my daughter and friend. Do anything you ask and ran well for a trotter. I found her a good home with a gentle owner. 

SAM_0240.thumb.JPG.d9874c91c72e63c0ea332c77b11a9acb.JPG

SAM_0234.thumb.JPG.f3c7ff4c07b91b16c35226143e00515e.JPG

Me and Sam, he was a draft cross, he was/is at the stables at Big Cedar Lodge south of Branson, MO. He got picked on and beat up and if you look closely can see some of his injuries. I always go love on him when i go down there. Hes a gentle giant!!!

SAM_1295.thumb.JPG.f67bf59b87c4b72254a559028c1708fc.JPG

This was Nitro and my daughter he was a successful college rodeo horse, he would goat tie and barrels were his events. 

SAM_1492.thumb.JPG.d3fdb336bc2db4b51930580071c0d551.JPGSAM_1491.thumb.JPG.de81f1043d3a737dc8d7ec690b9dea6e.JPG

• Like 5

940055282_myhorses.jpg.e35e94ca82aeff22ca38a4018921c333.jpg

Left to Right

Nitro, Lady, Clara, Stealth, Jake 

• Like 4