Well, it finally dried up here and we went to the field on Monday.  Rained again  late today.  Supposed to be more on the way.  Unfortunately, the 4586 is still in the shop, but with rain there is still a chance we might get it finished in time to use putting out the crop.  

Got all the hydraulic hoses changed that were failing, new AC hoses made (HVAC not done yet) and the wiring just almost done. (Just need to put ends on the fuel pump wires and finish the radio install.)  Still waiting on decals and some odds and ends to finish it up.  Probably 5 more days of work to be done.  Before we went to the field, I got the new stack and stack holder fab'd up.  Not finished, but here's a sneak peak. 

20190603_095818.thumb.jpg.f4f68a03b6ba5fe8f9d22c5ca0ccaba7.jpg

• Like 7

Guys, I promise pics and video of her in the field! But it will probably be in the fall, if we can use it then.  Field work has ran a week now, and although we have 1000 acres to go, I doubt we get to use it this spring.  Unless it rains us out, I doubt I get it done to use this spring.  Very disappointed, but at least when it is done, it will be done right, done well, and should run and work great! 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, like most everyone here...... rain, rain, rain.  We had a good run.  2 weeks straight in the field without being rained out.  I was shocked, as we hadn't gone without rain every week for like 2 months.  So..... we went back to work on the 4586 today.  Randall says he wants it out of the shop this week...... well, I mean, YEAH.  Me too!  Finished welding and painting the exhaust stack frame, and painted the lower pipes after welding all the elbows and such together.  Wired up the fuel pump on the pump end, just need to add a fuse and hook it up under the dash.  Switched most all the lights out to LED, and installed the front light panel, center hood and RH hood so we could finish up the exhaust mock up.  Exhaust runs under the hood from the turbo without issue, just like I had planned. Cut off the elbow below the chrome stack as far as I could, and that got the overall height to right at 12'.  We have some short door sheds that we wanted to make sure it would fit into.  Hopefully, I will work on finishing up the HVAC tomorrow, then can finish the cab interior.  Not much left to do in the overall project.  Likely take most of the week.  Good news is, if it dries out we'll get to use it! I'll post pics of the progress when we make some progress that is picture worthy, lol. 

• Like 3

Just found this thread and had to go back and read it from the start. Excellent write up and pics. Thank you for taking the time to include us in your project. 

9 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

All that little detail stuff takes about twice as much time as a guy would expect.hope everything turns out good.

Yes it does!  So far do good, but it was one step forward and two back yesterday.  

8 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Just found this thread and had to go back and read it from the start. Excellent write up and pics. Thank you for taking the time to include us in your project. 

Thanks!  It does take a lot of time to document a project like this.  It seems like everyone is enjoying it though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Finally got time to hop back over here and read up where you are.   Wow.   The work you put into the cab was crazy!   I really like the console concept as well, although I'm like you, a cable would have been better.  Make sure you pad that if there is any likelyhood of leaving your arm laying there to hang on to the levers--those cup holders look sharp!   

I like the long grab rails.  I will say I like my "outside" rails better for a simple reason.  When I first got my 43, Dad &  I slipped of the outside of the steps a couple times.  Not sure why, other than it seemed to be hard to gauge where the steps were.    By adding the railing on the outside, it not only gave you something to grab, it kept you away from the step edge.  Never slipped off once after adding them.  Just be careful.  I also noticed the grab irons on the front corners....not sure what I think of that but nice idea.   I think I might have put them on the back corners, but then I never clean my windshields...

I love the corner stack---always wanted to do that on the 43.   Great update.    

Sure wish I had had your info on the brake calipers back when I was working on mine.   $1000 for a used caliper is.....

I'd be curious to see where the hoses route on the back of the cab with the new placement.  One problem I had was being careful about the routing from the valve block around the bottom of the cab and over the pivot.   Couple hoses wore thru over the years.   I had a rubber hose covering the "Cradle", and a tie strap holding the pressure and return hose over and away from everything else.

Its amazing how busy and rushed everybody was this year....for having nothing to do but sit and stare at the rain!   You must have been a little dryer than us...we had that one week (June 3 -10) to get stuff planted, and that was pretty much it.  I pattern tiled one field last fall---man what a GREAT year to have tile (pats self on back).  I was only able to get on that on June 3 because of the tile.   Used to be my wettest field, now its the dryest.   The ripped corn stubble---had to tear it open and clod it all up before it would even start drying, then work it again and again....finally got beans planted on the 10th.   I have a lot of ground around me no-plant.  

• Like 1

Jeff, I haven't had time to respond to your post.  Thanks!  I'll come back here when I get some time and answer how the hoses are on the cab. We're not happy with them yet.  We have to change it somehow, but not sure how.  Would have been 100 times better if the valve had gotten centrally mounted and cable driven.  To anyone wanting to upgrade one of these, that would strongly be my suggestion. 

So, I'm not 100% done, but here is a video tour.  Obviously needs the decals, and some other things wrapped up.  A/C isn't cold enough yet either.  Has 4.5lbs in it, but I don't like my pressures.  Honestly I think the control switch just might be bad.  I have an AC reclamation machine, so I can add or subtract until it's right.  More pictures and videos to come.  It's drying out here!  Cutting wheat snd side dressing corn now.  Enjoy the tour!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Looks good! That cab is nice and quiet.

Thanks! Really!

I would say it is no louder than our Magnums.  Which is a HUGE improvement for a 1977 machine.  However, I don't know if you can pick it out in the video or not, but there is a truly annoying noise.  Chris thought it was just transmission noise, and honestly I did too.  Until I stepped on the clutch and it stopped.  Apparently I didn't put any lube on the pin or something because the clutch pedal rattles terribly!!! But hey, that can be fixed!

6 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Thanks! Really!

I would say it is no louder than our Magnums.  Which is a HUGE improvement for a 1977 machine.  However, I don't know if you can pick it out in the video or not, but there is a truly annoying noise.  Chris thought it was just transmission noise, and honestly I did too.  Until I stepped on the clutch and it stopped.  Apparently I didn't put any lube on the pin or something because the clutch pedal rattles terribly!!! But hey, that can be fixed!

Just from the sound in the videos it seemed a lot quieter inside, what it is in real life could be different.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:51 AM, J-Mech said:

Jeff, I haven't had time to respond to your post.  Thanks!  I'll come back here when I get some time and answer how the hoses are on the cab. We're not happy with them yet.  We have to change it somehow, but not sure how.  Would have been 100 times better if the valve had gotten centrally mounted and cable driven.  To anyone wanting to upgrade one of these, that would strongly be my suggestion. 

So, I'm not 100% done, but here is a video tour.  Obviously needs the decals, and some other things wrapped up.  A/C isn't cold enough yet either.  Has 4.5lbs in it, but I don't like my pressures.  Honestly I think the control switch just might be bad.  I have an AC reclamation machine, so I can add or subtract until it's right.  More pictures and videos to come.  It's drying out here!  Cutting wheat snd side dressing corn now.  Enjoy the tour!

Minor detail but where did you source the radio antenna. Looks like the exact one I need for my Allis.

14 minutes ago, exSW said:

Minor detail but where did you source the radio antenna. Looks like the exact one I need for my Allis.

Antenna came out of a tractor roof mount radio kit.  Front speakers did too.  Radio is a Jensen radio made for the Magnum tractors.  Antennas are easy to find.  Wal-Mart used to stock them, pretty sure they still do.  Part stores too.  Amazon, ebay...... 

23 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Antenna came out of a tractor roof mount radio kit.  Front speakers did too.  Radio is a Jensen radio made for the Magnum tractors.  Antennas are easy to find.  Wal-Mart used to stock them, pretty sure they still do.  Part stores too.  Amazon, ebay...... 

True. There's a gazillion choices. But not a gazillion good choices. Only want to do it once.

16 minutes ago, exSW said:

True. There's a gazillion choices. But not a gazillion good choices. Only want to do it once.

So find the antenna you want and buy it.  There are a gazillion choices, and the one you want is only dependent on you buying it.  Google is your friend.

Very nice job on the cab interior.  I know from experience how hard it is to get the cab liner material cut neatly and looking like that around the radio, etc.   A+ in my book!    I really like what you have done on the entire rig, the hoses look pretty good to me!    The important thing is---is the guy running it happy? 

BTW---a good old bungy strap gets rid of clutch linkage chatter.  Now that you mention it I remember I had one on the clutch arm pulling back the whole time I ran mine.   Kept the pins from chattering.

• Thanks 1