2023 crop pics

Crops have perked up some after the rain. They seem to be filling out so hopefully that means good things and they don’t stop. Grasshoppers seem to have slowed up some finally too. Still a bunch moving around but nothing like before. Spray and the rain must’ve helped.  Lots of pods on the canola if they just all fill. Still won’t be a super great crop but there should be something at least if it all makes it and matures.   Was checking for army worms and bugs in the canola tonight. Didn’t find anything so far. Need to go check my rented land on the reserve. A haven’t been out there since the big rain. Been to bush running for parts of working on the combine. 

951B9616-19CD-4CA5-BD97-A5BCED38E2D8.jpeg

78B8DAAC-FCE9-4D12-945E-94B791B50DD0.jpeg

08190A6E-DC58-4361-8D0D-49A3935306BE.jpeg

674DCCA5-EF51-4A44-8113-E2D0ACC14B38.jpeg

• Like 3

took a drive around myself aswell tonight seeing lots changing neighbours peas are turning fast and will be combining in 2 weeks or sooner even, hope to start getting thing out and ready to go this week yet, seems july has gone fast like usual and harvest is coming quicker every year

things are filling quite well but i'm losing faith in the canola amounting to much top pods have aborted and bottom are smaller than usual

well things can change alot in 23 hrs since i posted had a thunderstorm brew up that brought more than rain with it i lost a 320 acre feild of wheat to hail between hangers and stripped heads i'm sure its 100% write off, little damage on my land up around home, oh well the way it goes i guess, it was getting dark when i got around to driving around so hopefully thats all for surprises 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, wheatking said:

well things can change alot in 23 hrs since i posted had a thunderstorm brew up that brought more than rain with it i lost a 320 acre feild of wheat to hail between hangers and stripped heads i'm sure its 100% write off, little damage on my land up around home, oh well the way it goes i guess, it was getting dark when i got around to driving around so hopefully thats all for surprises 

I was watching the radar wondering how you were making out. Looked kind of ugly over your way. We just had a storm go through here too. Never did show up on the radar. Lots of thunder and lightning. Only a tenth of so of rain though. No hail here but my brother in law at Emma lake said they had a inch in around 10 minutes time. Some hail with it too.  Was almost non stop lightning overtop is at around 9:30. Every direction you looked you’d see a flash very few seconds. 

First night in a month pretty much since I’ve had a few spare minutes to just take off for a while and kick back a little bit. Drove by some of my canola but I did t take any pics. Not to much has changed anyways, nothing blooming now except for a couple of alkali spots among the slough.  Went up along the river for a while and did a little bit of hiking down the riverbank. Nothing to crazy but I found a game trail following a ridge down the bank. Was kind of a neat little spot with a nice view.  Made a loop around by the forks after that and then back around through the bush and home again. Was a nice little break anyways. Just felt good to be doing something other then running for parts or pulling wrenches.  Hopefully get some grain hauled out this coming week. Need to get the swaggers out and ready yet too. Still 2-3 weeks away from anything being ready to go here yet but it’s coming up pretty quick. 

9D80E916-66F4-48D8-AAFB-15923415F46E.jpeg

D705514F-7D50-45D6-8E32-BD1D1AF8BDFB.jpeg

72969360-675D-4853-8DE1-0B42D955539D.jpeg

8C591F79-D2F1-45B9-84D3-F8FCA7B20A84.jpeg

9651F71E-972A-4F4D-A718-151C14027B46.jpeg

3B608B0C-BF05-48D3-BFB1-07172807048E.jpeg

53D3582F-9F34-4113-AEBA-D1BAD9B74A15.jpeg

68787125-CBDF-49F2-96B9-4BFC3F2AE584.jpeg

7609ADCE-266E-4B6A-849D-BBD0191923E8.jpeg

83DE9935-B1E5-4390-AA8F-63CB654969E5.jpeg

420B582C-3B6D-4F37-B370-2A351019538F.jpeg

• Like 5

Is your river low for this time of year? I took this photo this morning while raking hay beside my canola. Not much flowering left at this point. Its quite tall. Could be quite a challenge to get through the swather. 

IMG_4882[1].JPG

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Is your river low for this time of year? I took this photo this morning while raking hay beside my canola. Not much flowering left at this point. Its quite tall. Could be quite a challenge to get through the swather. 

IMG_4882[1].JPG

They’re close to normal for the time of the year. Maybe down a bit. North branch is still up a little so it’s kind of averaging out a little. South branch is always shallow though. Very difficult to get a boat down it.  Even the main river is iffy in spots. Lots of big rocks. 

Looks like lots of pods. Hope they all fill out nicely for you. 

well harvest has started in the country not me but neighbours were goin on peas, not the best crop had some disease issues but they were averging 15-20 bushel, i started spraying mine out so i'll be 10 days or so till i roll, checked on some canola the seeds are getting firmer but no color change yet for swathing 

• Like 1

I was out crop checking last night too. No worms in the canola so far. Could see some damage possibly from grasshoppers on the canola stems. Maybe birds as well, not to sure. Wasn’t enough to kill the plant though and the pods seem to be filling regardless. Some very heavy spots around the field. Wasn’t out in the middle at all so don’t know what the whole field looks like but made a lap all the way around it on the reserve. Looks a lot better then it did a few weeks ago. Some of the canola that was stressed is blooming now again though. Only a few acres worth so it’s not major at least. Probably won’t make it in time for the rest of the field though. Wheat and barley is changing pretty fast.  No one combining around here yet though. 

E61A4C34-C42B-4DA8-B362-3EA31FFBB35D.jpeg

A799824F-34C3-453D-80C9-B987E36DCD76.jpeg

9EB8930A-CD02-469F-85E0-6A4E90E0A4C7.jpeg

B04AF92A-83E9-4C88-AECC-4EF6AE3333D9.jpeg

42E7B2B6-1DEC-4F4B-A1D8-159C88589503.jpeg

• Like 4

Took a picture of the neighbors organic corn today. At least I think that's what it is. Kind of looks like a field that didn't get planted and just grew up to weeds with some volinteer corn in it. You can see the rows however. Drove by some of his other corn today, looked like he just batwinged it! Stuff on the rive bottom was still standing, suppose it might get mowed net week? Doubt if it would pay for the fuel to combine it, you be the judge.

IMG_2142.jpeg

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Took a picture of the neighbors organic corn today. At least I think that's what it is. Kind of looks like a field that didn't get planted and just grew up to weeds with some volinteer corn in it. You can see the rows however. Drove by some of his other corn today, looked like he just batwinged it! Stuff on the rive bottom was still standing, suppose it might get mowed net week? Doubt if it would pay for the fuel to combine it, you be the judge.

IMG_2142.jpeg

I could never think about organics around here.  The soil is heavy enough that a heavy rain could keep me out of the field a couple weeks or longer in terms of cultivating.  Back during the mid-1990's I had three consecutive years where I drilled soybeans then got a few heavy rains a couple of weeks after.  The beans crusted in and there was no way to rotary hoe due to the wetness.  Water perks real slow down to the drain tile.   It was 30 inch rows from after that stretch into today.  The field in your picture sure is a mess.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

I could never think about organics around here.  The soil is heavy enough that a heavy rain could keep me out of the field a couple weeks or longer in terms of cultivating.  Back during the mid-1990's I had three consecutive years where I drilled soybeans then got a few heavy rains a couple of weeks after.  The beans crusted in and there was no way to rotary hoe due to the wetness.  Water perks real slow down to the drain tile.   It was 30 inch rows from after that stretch into today.  The field in your picture sure is a mess.  

It's really something to watch. Most people that farm 'organic' do 40 or maybe 80 acres. This guy is trying to do about 1000. Doesn't cultivate at all. His Grandpa and Father were fantastic farmers, both dead now and probably turning over in their graves!

On 8/6/2023 at 4:43 PM, DT Fan said:

IMG_2142.jpeg

Some of the organic stuff around here tends to look not a whole lot better.  Was a huge organic farm tried to start up. They wanted to turn it into a million acre  company. Lasted a couple years lol. Takes lots of work to clean up a mess after the fact too. One bad year of weeds takes 10 to get rid of or more it seems. 

• Like 1

Poor Farmer, I spent the weekend "playing in the Parkland", I though most crops look quite good but no doubt not a record breaker. Strangely a very good field of Canola would have one very little bet than here at home next to it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IKS said:

Poor Farmer, I spent the weekend "playing in the Parkland", I though most crops look quite good but no doubt not a record breaker. Strangely a very good field of Canola would have one very little bet than here at home next to it. 

The rain a few weeks back was a game changer. Without that we’d be in pretty big trouble right now.  I’m hoping we’ll make a average crop but I’m not getting my hopes up. I’d sooner be surprised then let down.  

Getting to be decision time though now. Have some wheat and barley left over from last year yet. Debating cutting my losses and letting it go or go buy another bin. It’s looking better crop wise so thinking the new bin might be the option for this year. Sure not giving them away anymore though either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

The rain a few weeks back was a game changer. Without that we’d be in pretty big trouble right now.  I’m hoping we’ll make a average crop but I’m not getting my hopes up. I’d sooner be surprised then let down.  

Getting to be decision time though now. Have some wheat and barley left over from last year yet. Debating cutting my losses and letting it go or go buy another bin. It’s looking better crop wise so thinking the new bin might be the option for this year. Sure not giving them away anymore though either. 

i think locking the bins could pay off for a guy this year i'm carrying some over, the crop they keep predicting is out there i dont think is there once the combines really get rolling 

peas are all sprayed a few days ago think we'll try on monday combining, i got some canola that i think is ready to start going down so try to get some canola down before we start combining,   my hailed stuff got wrote off so its goin into bales for cow chow so really i'm already done 2 quarters 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wheatking said:

i think locking the bins could pay off for a guy this year i'm carrying some over, the crop they keep predicting is out there i dont think is there once the combines really get rolling 

peas are all sprayed a few days ago think we'll try on monday combining, i got some canola that i think is ready to start going down so try to get some canola down before we start combining,   my hailed stuff got wrote off so its goin into bales for cow chow so really i'm already done 2 quarters 

Was talking with the ag manager of the coop where we buy a lot of our stuff today. He had 3 quarters of barley wrote off too So they cut it and baled it up for the cows too. Sucks but at least you can get something out of it. Crop insurance seems to be doing a better job of that now too. Used to be you had to combine it and leave a check strip then monkey around trying to get the adjusters out and figure it all out. All the work to prove there was no crop there.  

Im not a huge fan of carrying grain over but I don’t like throwing money away either. Always run the risk of bugs or spoiling.  It should’ve all been gone last winter but of course hindsight is 20/20 lol. 

Here is a couple pics of our wheat crop today. It has been dry but we got some rain not timely but at critical times. I think wheat should be in the 45 to 55 bpa range,just from past experience. The wheat got in late around the end of May. The last green pic is a small corner of field we had machinery to move away on. It didn’t get seeded until mid June and no fertilizer other than soybeans for three years and it isn’t even to bad that spot should avg around 25 to 30. Also should add about 2/3 of field was seeded with 6200 in press drill. We had trouble with tractor on airseeder and it was late so we hooked up drill and seeded.

9EB60C56-D840-493E-A3FD-0F0DE1D4B696.jpeg

EE9F85AB-FC23-4B6D-B6A2-688DD38E0FAB.jpeg

49E948E5-4048-460A-84E8-960D79EA1030.jpeg

98750D3F-AD89-4B28-9926-6BEE9AB66577.jpeg

A9BDF6A1-51E8-41B4-AED0-8459DEC359E3.jpeg

D2DDFBFA-59ED-4ACC-9406-A14979617ECF.jpeg

99018AC5-5F9B-4DEF-A479-5C2F8942ECEA.jpeg

• Like 4

wow your barley is way ahead than anything here, few wheat feilds like yours mine are still fairly green yet 

first quarter of canola swathed today, most of it was just right to swath but a few patches of holy s**t green but i chopped them anyways currently getting a down pour right now so that should help it cure out

• Like 1

Our canola is probably 2 weeks away from swathing yet. Probably going to spray some and try straight cutting some of it for a change. 

Just shy of another inch of rain here this morning again. Hopefully that’s it now for a while. Not going to do the cereals any favors that’s for sure.