2023 crop pics

11 minutes ago, acem said:

Here's my best soybeans.

They are still wet from Sunday s storms.

PXL_20230622_144933336.jpg

Gheez Ace.....that looks great.....and not a hillbilly in sight......'nor a weed....Great looking crop..:)

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Mike.

If our vision was good enough you'd see tourists up on top of mount magazine. It's the flat top mountain on the left. It's about 20 miles away and 2500 ft higher than my fields. Mt magazine is the highest place in Arkansas. Horse shoe mountain on the right is much shorter but is close so it looks about as high.

• Like 1

Saw the first blooms starting to show on the neighbour's canola today. Mine is a little later but this does seem early for it. I have a tremendous crop of volunteer canola in the wheat that I'm hoping the spray will kill. 

• Like 2

Wheat is starting to head out now too. Believe that’s the earliest we’ve had wheat heading out. It’s pretty short so who knows what that means lol. As long as all the heads are there and they fill out I don’t mind a short crop. Sure is a lot easier to handle with the combine.  My canola on the rented land is just about to start blooming now too. Field at home is just starting to get yellow now. With the warm weather coming this weekend things should really take off again. Been cold the last couple days. Needed a jacket on just to go outside. 

BC5A708E-ACEE-443D-AB57-4C7C4337E086.jpeg

F5374EDE-F1F3-4DDE-AC9C-3AEF432D10DA.jpeg

AE97A04A-1303-4208-9DA5-FD78D3B78FA7.jpeg

• Like 3

IMG_6807.jpeg

IMG_6805.jpeg

IMG_6799.jpeg

Last day of spraying crop.  We were so far behind on spraying had to bite the bullet and bought a 2nd used sprayer.  Sprayed Saturday afternoon and most of Sunday until the pump went out.  They came out Monday and we took the pump apart to find the key had come out holding the impeller to the shaft.  Put a new one on and was good to go.  Didn’t actually loose any time because Monday was 40 mph winds so I couldnt spray anyway.  After today I only have the neighbor’s to spray which will only take a day

• Like 3

Crops are buggered here, 3.17 inches at my yard since first week of April. Mustard was blossoming 8in high. Big patches of Durham are dieing. It is starting to look serious. I think you could see a gogher standing in the Lentils 10 rods away. 

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, IKS said:

Crops are buggered here, 3.17 inches at my yard since first week of April. Mustard was blossoming 8in high. Big patches of Durham are dieing. It is starting to look serious. I think you could see a gogher standing in the Lentils 10 rods away. 

Sorry to hear that. Hard to believe we are in the same province with such a contrast in crops and weather in it. I took this shot about an hour ago showing the neighbour's canola starting to bloom. Mine is a bit later and nothing showing yet. 

canola June 23.jpg

3 hours ago, IKS said:

Dang and I thought you guys were finally getting some moisture for a change.  That’s probably more rain then we’ve had all spring as well but probably not quite as dry as you guys have been going into seeding. 

3 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Dang and I thought you guys were finally getting some moisture for a change.  That’s probably more rain then we’ve had all spring as well but probably not quite as dry as you guys have been going into seeding. 

We probably had as much snow as any in a small area but when we didn't get spring break up until way into April and it went so fast we got very little value for reserve moisture. 

Had a short crop tour this evening and have to say I am impressed with this Liberty link canola that I'm trying for the first time. Of course all canola looks good here this year. The single shot of Liberty seems to have done a great kill on weeds and as thick as the crop is there should be no further competition. 

IMG_4814[1].JPG

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Had a short crop tour this evening and have to say I am impressed with this Liberty link canola that I'm trying for the first time. Of course all canola looks good here this year. The single shot of Liberty seems to have done a great kill on weeds and as thick as the crop is there should be no further competition. 

Only canola I’ve grown that was worth a crap was liberty link canola.  

• Like 1

were holding our own so far wheat is a little shorter already but seems to be keeping on, hopefully catch some more showers and rain as time goes before its to late 

finished spraying now onto getting sold grain out of here then hopefully things will slow down for abit, ended up buying a 1086 with a bad clutch so thats another project to tackle 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Only canola I’ve grown that was worth a crap was liberty link canola.  

All I've ever grown is RR canola but since the invasion of RR Kochia I've had to try something different. Otherwise I was satisfied with RR canola. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loadstar said:

All I've ever grown is RR canola but since the invasion of RR Kochia I've had to try something different. Otherwise I was satisfied with RR canola. 

when we started growing canola we grew round up ready to get wild oats under control worked well, but then the kochia came and we had to switch to something else for better control so liberty it was, i  never cared much for the invigor line of canola but alot of other company's have there own liberty link line now 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wheatking said:

when we started growing canola we grew round up ready to get wild oats under control worked well, but then the kochia came and we had to switch to something else for better control so liberty it was, i  never cared much for the invigor line of canola but alot of other company's have there own liberty link line now 

Last canola I grew was invigor.  I did good and it will be what I grow again if I ever do.  Didn’t have to swath which was a big plus.  

• Like 1

I haven't driven more than 10 miles one way since Wednesday but there isn't a Durham field that doesn't look like this with multiple spots per half mile. Starting to look like the early 80s.

IMG_20230626_084937.jpg

• Sad 1

We haven’t experimented with many different variety’s of roundup ready. We grew some about 12 years ago maybe a bit more. Cantera I think was the brand. 1818r I want to say was the variety but I can’t remember for sure. It did alright the first year but the next year I had some issues with it. Ended up real late and got a foot or more of snow on it. That was actually in 2008 or 2009 I think.  Was a awful fall anyways. Think dad had some after but then we went back to invigor. I’d say it’s the most popular in the area. Been through many different variety’s over the years and they’ve always done pretty good for us. 

went out to look at mine tonight and it’s starting to get fairly yellow now.  Wee bit patchy right on the road where we go in and out of the field but otherwise has filled in pretty good. One of my nicest crops ever I think if it can just keep coming. We had 3/10” yesterday with a awful wind so some might have blown over the gauge too. Came down extremely hard. Prince Albert had quite a bit of hail. Thankfully none here. 

1716CE0F-293E-40A4-A90A-2BFD965C738A.jpeg

1EB4F4E5-C0EF-4F94-9FE1-3B9A3294FB12.jpeg

29E76B56-19AB-4FCB-A4BA-99A223E975A1.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I’m still in the sprayer here, it’s only 87* F, but it is getting very dry. The corn is rolled up in the thinner spots right now. If we don’t get some rain pretty quick here crops will be way below average. 

IMG_0221.thumb.jpeg.1035df92040f04a91e5255090b693857.jpeg

Only 87°F lol. Anything over 80 is hot here lol.  Siting at 82°F now as I type. Plenty hot for me anyways. Hopefully that corn can hang in there. 

Brother in law texted me this morning from his vacation out in Victoria wondering if we got any rain last night. They’re only a hour south of us where he lives. 2 inches at their farm again we only had maybe a tenth here. Seems to be a line in between them and us that the rain just doesn’t cross. Was kind of the same with the snow last winter too.  They’re up around 10-11 inches of rain now where we’re at 2.5-3 maybe all spring now. 

44 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Only 87°F lol. Anything over 80 is hot here lol.  Siting at 82°F now as I type.

It’s supposed to be nearly 100* F tomorrow. You will be able to wring the water out of the air with the humidity that will come with it. There is a chance of rain, but the last few chances just never materialized. A lot of corn around here won’t be having a good day if we miss this rain in that heat. In a normal year, you can almost always count on a rain here on or about the 4th of July.