Jump to content

2023 crop pics


Recommended Posts

A video just released today.
It is a large farm of 2000 hectares which is located in the South West of France.
It replaced its two New Holland CR harvesters with two Axial Flow 8250s, not to mention Quadtrac tractors which replaced Challenger tractors.
The land is very sloping in some places.
They need powerful machines.

Hoping not to be off topic

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

We got the last of the straw baled up and the beans in the ground. 
 

IMG_0246.thumb.jpeg.5bc0cdee7ff9b54bb363bf00436cf763.jpeg

 

IMG_0247.thumb.jpeg.69a88ce7e6c29e6306d3d499360240bd.jpeg

 

IMG_0251.thumb.jpeg.9c108dc4fa178d6d1cf04dc47d511815.jpeg

 

IMG_0250.thumb.jpeg.5b58671959c38015cbe0e9e6361d5f40.jpeg

Kind of hard to fathom growing two crops when you come from up here lol.  I know it’s been done for years but still impresses me. When you do that are the beans a early maturing variety?  Soybeans have been tried around here a little but most kind of gave up. You’re pretty much guaranteed to be combining well into October and that can be hit and miss if the weather cooperates or not.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Kind of hard to fathom growing two crops when you come from up here lol.  I know it’s been done for years but still impresses me. When you do that are the beans a early maturing variety?  Soybeans have been tried around here a little but most kind of gave up. You’re pretty much guaranteed to be combining well into October and that can be hit and miss if the weather cooperates or not.   

We are planting the same maturity that we planted on everything else. Double crop beans are almost certainly not able to be harvested until a killing frost. They may mature fully if the frost really holds off, but most likely will still be green when they are killed from frost. We won’t plan to combine them until November sometime likely. We combine well in to December all the time, but that isn’t common in this area. Lots of BTO’s will spend 8 figures on machinery so they can be done by Halloween. Some people really seem to, at least in my opinion, really over manage the double crops here. They really agonize over maturities and varieties. The crops are flexible and it really just depends on the weather if they are successful or not. Most farm magazines say you can’t do what we have been doing for years and we seem to get along just fine. There isn’t much wheat grown here anymore to compare what we do with others. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Double crop beans will mature here before frost. You can grow soybeans, Milo or corn after wheat here. Don't grow corn after wheat without irrigation and insect resistant varieties.

The node is moving in my rice. The Early field will start heading soon.

The sunflower heads are starting to turn down.

PXL_20230712_171757505~2.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crops are suffering a bit more here now. Canola is nearly done blooming. Down to the last 25% or so now blooming or left to bloom.  Wheat still looks decent but likely will need some rain to fill. Barley is thin in places and starting to turn on the hillsides now. Our best canola crop is oddly enough on our sandiest quarter. The one side isn’t as bad and that’s where the canola is. Must’ve caught a few more showers or something.  Wheat on that same quarter is very thin or dead where the sand is though just on the other side of the bush.  Down in the swamp it’s very heavy though. 

9C81A7C7-0357-47EF-B448-CAA191059ACD.jpeg

1F8A2670-2732-4947-838C-150FAF328B69.jpeg

9CF83314-07FA-454F-8988-4E94B61F06E2.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a pic of one of my rice fields and Mt magazine in the background.

It's a little hard to see because of all the haze but there is a cloud over mount magazine.

There's been a cloud over it all day. I understand that under certain conditions clouds form over mountains. Mt magazine is higher than anything around it and our humidity is high today. It's unusual to see.

PXL_20230713_002530424~2.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seeing the first signs of stress in the wheat fields here. Hilltops and gravel patches are running out of moisture and turning a lighter colour. Its been quite some time since a significant rain. Only thing saving us is the below normal temps. Lucky to get into the 70s some days. Took a few pictures this evening of wheat and canola. 

IMG_4859[1].JPG

 

IMG_4864[1].JPG

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally our turn to get a decent rain. Only had a 1/4” this morning and figured that was it for the day. Sum was back out and it looked like it was going to clear off then at about 2:00 it started to rain. Ironically that was the exact time the rcmp started their musical ride on the reserve just next to us. One of 3 stops in the province I think. They still put on the show but they got pretty wet I think.  By 10:00 tonight we were sitting at 1.3 inches. It was a very welcome rain and should really help fill out what crop we have left. Moisture was all but gone and if we hadn’t gotten any more it was going to really hurt the yield even more. It’s a couple weeks late but we’ll still gladly take it. Maybe help slow down the grasshoppers a bit too. 

9CC39FFC-1BD4-4F70-8783-B14688C088E1.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Finally our turn to get a decent rain. Only had a 1/4” this morning and figured that was it for the day. Sum was back out and it looked like it was going to clear off then at about 2:00 it started to rain. Ironically that was the exact time the rcmp started their musical ride on the reserve just next to us. One of 3 stops in the province I think. They still put on the show but they got pretty wet I think.  By 10:00 tonight we were sitting at 1.3 inches. It was a very welcome rain and should really help fill out what crop we have left. Moisture was all but gone and if we hadn’t gotten any more it was going to really hurt the yield even more. It’s a couple weeks late but we’ll still gladly take it. Maybe help slow down the grasshoppers a bit too. 

9CC39FFC-1BD4-4F70-8783-B14688C088E1.jpeg

I was watching it build, daughter and Sil wear hoping for a good rain just west of Tway on north side of Waka Lake. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've been getting rains along but it takes a lot with highs of 100F, heat index of 115F.

Got two inches over the weekend and had to start the pump on the rice today. It in the reproductive stage and is using lots of water plus transpiration for cooling.

Here's a pic of the sunflowers. The heads are turned down. The heat and humidity are so bad you can barely see the mountains. 

PXL_20230719_135623870~2.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we could get a good  couple of inches hear I think it would help the Lentils but I think the Durham and Mustard are generally screwed with the exception of the odd spot that caught a thunderstorm. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IKS said:

Durham and Lentils 1/4 mile west of my driveway. 

IMG_20230719_142755.jpg

IMG_20230719_142808.jpg

I haven’t been out of our area much this summer so I haven’t seen what everyone else’s crops are like. It’s starting to sound somewhat bleaker though as I talk to more people. Not many saying they have excellent crops this year that’s for sure.  Hopefully prices will reflect that come harvest time and into the new year.  I don’t think there’s as many jumping on new crop contracts as other years that’s for sure. Everyone’s just kind of waiting it out to see what happens. Even the elevators and grain buyers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I haven’t been out of our area much this summer so I haven’t seen what everyone else’s crops are like. It’s starting to sound somewhat bleaker though as I talk to more people. Not many saying they have excellent crops this year that’s for sure.  Hopefully prices will reflect that come harvest time and into the new year.  I don’t think there’s as many jumping on new crop contracts as other years that’s for sure. Everyone’s just kind of waiting it out to see what happens. Even the elevators and grain buyers. 

I went to Lloydminster on June 27 and there were very few fields that were not showing stress until I got north of Bigger. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We got a nice rain today. Just over two inches. It really cleared the air out and cooled off.

Here's picture of rice and beans. The beans are on 36" beds and lapping the middles. Best beans I've had in years. I'm proud.

PXL_20230721_172226345~2.jpg

PXL_20230721_170717783.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, acem said:

When I took those pics it was clear and I could see the cliffs shining on mount magazine. It looks hazy in the pics. My phone camera lens must be getting bad...

Still looks good either way. Just about lost my phone today in a pail of waste oil. Was clipping it back into the holder that was clipped to my jeans and it slipped out. Bounced off the axle on the back of the combine(i was standing on top of the back tire) and landed right beside the open oil pail of waste hytran. cracked my screen protector but that was all. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Burnt areas in the wheat are getting a little more every day now without rain. Hot today, hotter tomorrow they say. Took a few pics and video this morning. 

July 23 merc 15.JPG

Drone crop July 23.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wheat is starting to turn more here now. The late seeded barley I did in those slouch bottoms that were wet is sure doing good though. Lots and lots of n and some moisture sure makes for a heavy crop. Hoping it doesn’t all lay down, starting to lodge a bit now already.  Canola is pretty much done blooming now. Fields are mostly green with the exception of a few low spots.  Been working pretty steady on the combine so I haven’t been out checking for bugs yet. Hopefully won’t have to do any spraying. 

9F33C69F-B3E8-48A6-B732-CA525F238373.jpeg

7309CAEF-62F7-41B8-B034-C74BED11B005.jpeg

FE295C5C-059B-4CE7-8A84-EA79EBF4CFDD.jpeg

8F77683A-DA5B-4A80-B500-711B53340B96.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...