Life in Alaska

AKwelder

Well the old truck is running, it needed a new voltage regulator, a new blower switch and pig tail, a new blower motor, all new fuel return parts on the injectors, and a new relay for the EEC.   It still has a few issues, but it runs and works 

And after that that I have an old beat up truck, but it lives.  

Dang it

715BC53D-1EA4-4157-A4CE-29F4468781B3.thumb.jpeg.4ee016161309ce8eca64508cf1f46979.jpeg

this sucks, I guess I will be welding this week

anyone know about these aftermarket front ends

2827DCB7-4C71-4622-92FC-19A4C7F20C42.thumb.jpeg.36576d2b8e6bb90a26df05e8c880bb99.jpeg

So my plan is to warm up my work area, and pull the steering bracket this week. I will clean it up and weld it since it is plate steel and not a casting.  

And maybe figure out why there are only three bolts holding it on to the tractor

At least it happened in the driveway and not across town at the in-laws

anyone have a lead on a IH front end?   

11 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Thats nice and handy isn't it   Least you know where to find a good welder lol. 

I hope so, but let's hold off on calling it good until we see how it goes.  ?

I pulled it off tonight, how pleasant.   I hope to weld it up here this week and be back running this weekend.  But let's see how well Murphy holds up his end of the deal

On 2/5/2018 at 8:28 AM, AKwelder said:

So my plan is to warm up my work area, and pull the steering bracket this week. I will clean it up and weld it since it is plate steel and not a casting.  

And maybe figure out why there are only three bolts holding it on to the tractor

At least it happened in the driveway and not across town at the in-laws

anyone have a lead on a IH front end?   

Might have a couple leads no idea of shape tho shipping might be salty tho....

8 hours ago, mader656 said:

Might have a couple leads no idea of shape tho shipping might be salty tho....

If you get a lead give me a call. I would be very interested 

and yeah, shipping.  Ouch. 

2 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

If you get a lead give me a call. I would be very interested 

and yeah, shipping.  Ouch. 

If you need tips on welding that I saw a wino last night  wearing a welding cap and carhart jacket on main street. I will send him your way, he should be sober by the time he gets there.

1 minute ago, Finney said:

If you need tips on welding that I saw a wino last night  wearing a welding cap and carhart jacket on main street. I will send him your way, he should be sober by the time he gets there.

Sure send him up, hope he can get thru TSA with his chipping hammer lol

I welded it up the other evening after work.   But it's been 15 below so I haven't put it back on yet.  Maybe after work today,  5 inches of fresh white stuff for guessed next week. 

Well I went to put it on, and had hole alignment issues, and not enough help or patience.  So tomorrow I will get help

anyone know if the bolt pattern is the same on each side? Or do the sides have a different distance between the holes than the back and front?  Or is the hole pattern the same all the way around?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, back to posting.  We have been getting snow and I have been plowing.  There are only so many pictures of a 460 in a snow bank I see worth posting .  We have about three feet on the roof, and more coming.   

Today was the growers  coop meeting for the peonies.  Buisness and details.    We have ordered fertilizer, pesticide, herbicide, drip irrigation parts, and another batch of root stock.  It will double the number of plants we have and also put some in pots for sale next spring. We should have our first stems for sale this year. Current projection is to cut 250 flowers in late June and early July.  

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on a boiler re-piping.  They are remodeling a house and they asked me to re-work the boiler, install new baseboard, and clean up the mechanical room. So while they strip down the house I built a new manifold with controls.

402CBEB0-9066-4F17-98C2-0A9DA3CFCA75.thumb.jpeg.90dd1ab7d172ecc86b307338a3a4baa1.jpeg

so in my spare time I will bring this on line and re-work the plumbing.  

It was warm today, so out I went to clean up the lower yard,  stopped by a buddies house , here is his 73 with 67k original on the clock

E9884351-E458-4B9A-BCBF-EE68E5B6CC28.thumb.jpeg.dc02f5b1b9b7c41a2cb708e3153cd5f9.jpeg

ans of course it might be for sale,  yeah, just what I need

driving the 460home with the new lights in the dark

3FE3AA1C-AA09-4445-8166-66C39AA762A6.thumb.jpeg.6612a37acf7211952073f1866955b182.jpeg

Even have working dash lights, just need to get the fuel gauge  and tach working

5D98A56B-C937-4087-983F-1B49704067F9.thumb.jpeg.bd121cb3cc819ad80e01c35b49d7b6fa.jpeg

AK, I've got a really nice factory IH wide front from a 560 that's for sale. It has the aftermarket short turn steering arms on it. $650 but shipping would probably be a killer from central Minnesota.

9 minutes ago, 806JR said:

AK, I've got a really nice factory IH wide front from a 560 that's for sale. It has the aftermarket short turn steering arms on it. $650 but shipping would probably be a killer from central Minnesota.

PM sent

2 hours ago, Finney said:

That's a neat looking job on the valve board.

Thank you

9 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

....no comment but I have met you.....;)

That board is cool idea.  Clean and easy to track issues etc.

Thanks.  ?

I hope to get some of it done this week.  On the side note, it is starting to look like spring, 24* here this morning

Nice work on the board. Everything's layed out nice. Springs trying to pop up here too. Been above thawing the last few days now. Any black spots in the yard are getting muddy already. Still a pile of snow left yet though so hopefully get a couple more rides in yet. One more trip and I should be awful close to the 2,000 km mark. Usually only put on 1000-1200. 

• 3 weeks later...

Life has been busy.  We still have a couple feet of snow here, and it is just getting above freezing in the afternoon.   So I have been clearing some paths for melt water.  Well I found my tape measure 

E938C444-1189-4E58-B264-DBD5642F837F.thumb.jpeg.258b437ab2ef5072a8aa7cee49372c98.jpeg

Headed to Minnesota Tuesday for another surgery trip for my oldest, working on the plumbing for my buddy this weekend , and I ordered another batch of peonies for Memorial Day   

4 hours ago, NY1468 said:

Did you figure out how big your snowblower is? I’m glad that our snow is in random patches here. Good luck with your southern trip and operation. 

Yep, I have a 16 foot auger?

thank you you for your wishes

So we are driving thru town today, I hand my wife the phone and ask her to take a picture of the truck at the stop light

A95F7A7B-E343-4D5B-B03B-F597650A8222.thumb.jpeg.a15ae4e651e0ac3737eae0738a784f8b.jpeg

I know it sucks to to look at but the truck on the right in front of the car is a Navistar test vehicle, painted wierd so you can’t make out the design.  They are driving the road north testing vehicles.  Never see others but Navistar has a bunch of rigs, hauling a few concrete blocks back and forth.  

I will keep an eye out for it again and see if 8 can get a better picture next time