2023 crop pics

I remember one year in the early 2000's we got snowed in, thought harvest was done but never got a big dump and finished combining Jan 20th, was the best conditions all that fall, also buddy would bale every few days and the spear would be hot from picking the bales, let's just say they were very warm

• Like 1

19 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Happy to hear you guys got done what you did.  Good feeling to have it in the bin. Sucks you couldn’t quite get it all but sounds like you’re better off then most there.  Hopefully you won’t be short on straw. 

You got a lot more snow then us. We’ve had a mix of rain and snow the last 3 days now. First snow we had pretty much vanished. We’ve got around 3 inches now again. Took the sled out 2 days ago and brought it down to the house to wash it off. Made one lap around the yard and put it back in to polish it up lol. Going to be a few weeks yet by the looks of the forecast. If what they’re saying comes true we might have a sloppy muddy mess around here again. Talking +5 for Sunday I think.  Everything is really slippery around here now. I hauled water for the house 2 days ago and actually spun out coming up the hill from the well in the bush. Had to back in a 1/4 mile or so and take another run at it. Sketchy part was sliding backwards down the hill lol. It’s not super steep but the truck wouldn’t hold it. Curve as you come down the hill so it’s a little bit hard to get speed up plus it’s a blind corner so you can see if anyone’s coming. 

Spent the afternoon in the bush today again clearing trails. Have my one loop opened up so I can get through now again. Been busy hauling firewood out of there so I had the worst part almost done. 3/4 km or so we cut 8 loads of firewood. Half on the road and half out of the bush just along the road. It was a real mess. 

FEDA314A-1152-4269-80CE-8382CDC60599.jpeg

47EB7CF0-27A8-40C4-9193-1296939A6998.jpeg

A8E9AFC1-22BD-4F57-95ED-43B6B4A3C323.jpeg

6CA14B11-78EE-4006-91EF-143DBC8BC177.jpeg

FD47BCA9-51AE-4683-BAFD-7579BEB19758.jpeg

E7F174D8-4322-49B3-ACF9-DB3E07C2E028.jpeg

F4AD3E9F-A39C-4C9E-ADD2-E4DC48833933.jpeg

7969B5E0-A6EA-442B-B162-5E9C6D02F155.jpeg

Got lots of round straw carried over so we'll be fine. Square straw we will be running close on but not a big deal. As for the wheat, still gotta dry it all and then bin it but it's in a pile covered for now so that's ok lol. 

I'd say we had more snow than what you got a week ago yet. Now we're probably at 8-10 inches but it is starting to melt and settle. Ground isn't froze yet so it's pretty slushy on the bottom. Looks like it should all disappear next week lol. This was at work today

Snapchat-1101102733.thumb.jpg.30f687f154586213fa70b6a2d0041803.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

I remember one year in the early 2000's we got snowed in, thought harvest was done but never got a big dump and finished combining Jan 20th, was the best conditions all that fall, also buddy would bale every few days and the spear would be hot from picking the bales, let's just say they were very warm

We had greenfeed last year that would not dry down. Was on the ground about a month. Finally I just rolled it the day before it snowed. Should've really wrapped the bales but for all there was we figured it would be fine. Some of them were pretty hot when I would spread then for the cows. A couple were almost smoking lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think that year he even baled canola not your first choice for feed but it was juicy and warm, might have even enjoyed a pre oiled 🥩 no snow around Edmonton, lawn is still green but lots of sloughs have dried up we will need some moisture at some point, heard 1 motorcycle go by today

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hardtail said:

I think that year he even baled canola not your first choice for feed but it was juicy and warm, might have even enjoyed a pre oiled 🥩 no snow around Edmonton, lawn is still green but lots of sloughs have dried up we will need some moisture at some point, heard 1 motorcycle go by today

Might have been my cousin lol. They just got a place not far from Camrose. Haven’t found out exactly where yet. He rides a Harley too.  His son lives just south of there so they moved out to be closer to the grand kids. His son works for black cat ground engagement tools in Edmonton. 

• Like 1

It was 2004 I believe that lots of guys were bailing crops up here. We had a early frost on the 14th or 15th of august. Lots of canola got cut and either chopped or bailed as green feed. Some guys ram into problems with high nitrate levels though. One guy lost 30 head of cattle over it. Still a silage pile on that old farm from that year.  I think it might have been 2002 guys were trying to bake straw well into November here as well. Was a drought year so guys were getting everything they could.  The older NH chain bailers were working pretty good with the snow in the swathes. Other guys were going when it was real cold out trying to pick it up. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Got lots of round straw carried over so we'll be fine. Square straw we will be running close on but not a big deal. As for the wheat, still gotta dry it all and then bin it but it's in a pile covered for now so that's ok lol. 

I'd say we had more snow than what you got a week ago yet. Now we're probably at 8-10 inches but it is starting to melt and settle. Ground isn't froze yet so it's pretty slushy on the bottom. Looks like it should all disappear next week lol. This was at work today

Snapchat-1101102733.thumb.jpg.30f687f154586213fa70b6a2d0041803.jpg

Geez way to make a guy jealous lol.  Hudson Bay club was taking sleds out to start clearing trails. Was less then ideal conditions though. Yours looks great by comparison lol. 

• Like 1

everyone will be chomping at the bit to go for the first ride haha alot of the table i talked to at the show all said come ride here , come here i just said where ever it snows we go, i got a couple loads of grain to go out next week then it can start snowing big time 

did some reading on the summit neo sleds as i purchased a few raffle tickets from the porcupine trail blaster club for one, the more i read the more its not the sled for me but i'll take it if i win,    would like to get into a full sized summit 800 if the right one came along 

13 hours ago, wheatking said:

went to the snowmobile show in saskatoon, was alright but man are sleds and gear getting expensive, the little kid sled was about $8000, i guess i'll be sticking with mine for the next while i started it the other day but havent checked it over yet to see if any nest or broken stuff hiding 

Did you see the Can-Am side by side on display there on show special? $85 000 I think it was.  I was going to go with some friends but was combining and they sent me a pic of it. I don't even want to look at trucks for the price that thing was!

17 hours ago, db1486 said:

Did you see the Can-Am side by side on display there on show special? $85 000 I think it was.  I was going to go with some friends but was combining and they sent me a pic of it. I don't even want to look at trucks for the price that thing was!

no i never wandered over to them at all just looking a sleds and looked at a couple trailers that were way out of my price budget, sledding itself seem to be a hobby thats getting really expensive to enjoy 

4 hours ago, wheatking said:

no i never wandered over to them at all just looking a sleds and looked at a couple trailers that were way out of my price budget, sledding itself seem to be a hobby thats getting really expensive to enjoy 

Even just parts are getting expensive. 550$ in those few loose parts at the front of the table.  Ended up getting one wrong bearing so I can’t start putting it back together anyways 😢. Guy who ordered it mistook a A as a 4. Just so happened that crossed to another bearing in a chaincase from a older sled.  Luckily it’s a more common bearing. 6205 I believe. 

1C68B3FC-FE61-4FC9-B96C-FA20AE5B63A9.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well looks like the warm weather may be finally tapering off. Been above zero every day here for the last 10 days or so now. Surprisingly still a trace of snow in the fields but it sure ain’t much. Yard got all muddy and greasy again and where it was shaded and froze it’s like a skating rink now. Can Hardly walk in places.   Been turning grain in the bins the last few days.   Had one bin of older wheat that I had some issues with. Rooftop inspection door must’ve leaked in some water and it had one musty spot. Took a load to the elevator but they said they couldn’t take it with the rusty grain beetles in it. Tried another elevator and they said they’re dead so go ahead and dump it.  Treated it today just to make sure. Canola bins have been ok so far but haven’t cooled off a whole bunch yet either. Still around 60°F.  Should be ok for another month or two now anyways at least. 

Brother called yesterday morning at about 10:30 and surprised me out of the blue wanting to go quadding. Called him back a half a hour later and said ya ok let’s go. Needed to get away from here for a bit anyways.  Saw some pictures on Facebook this afternoon from nipawin. Guys were lining up to launch boats in Tobin lake last Friday. River was wide open there yet. Where I crossed it was pretty much all froze over though. Sure wouldn’t test it even on foot yet though. 

1080AFA3-D951-4FF0-84EB-0F94E080CBD6.jpeg

72167859-A610-4039-BF9E-3B0398F76ABC.jpeg

EB942FFF-B389-44D3-96A1-7599BB17994B.jpeg

BEBB9DF4-E9F8-4803-A46B-270C8BCD9C55.jpeg

D817F9E2-00A3-4306-9E4B-1B6025BA7E72.jpeg

B1220E7D-0F10-4FFD-B41F-9A2F1BD9DC2A.jpeg

AF79E4D0-F78F-4054-B7F3-C464A2152007.jpeg

90A97E87-5B9E-4FCF-82E6-97E3E2F049E5.jpeg

ED827E4C-8C4D-4388-BBD9-E84C78AE9F06.jpeg

FCEF23CF-74B6-483E-8025-9392D869E43C.jpeg

9D960AE6-8780-49A5-A86C-817A4609CA3B.jpeg

8A646622-DDF5-4099-A4E7-48D5F331AB7A.jpeg

FB45423A-2C9B-41E1-B9A3-3129FF313421.jpeg

E33AA4E1-FF1A-45D6-9C66-B125CDCA62FB.jpeg

• Like 2

well your way ahead of me for snow anyways, was plus 11 here yesterday and plus 2 today and calling for plus 10 again tommorow which is great as grain cleaner called and were gonna clean peas for next year and a couple more loads of grain to go out before cool weather rolls in, i'm ready for snow, cause for me once it snow the year is over and time to wind down, the awesome weather weve had keeps the works goin getting this and that done

seems that bugs in grain is getting to be more and more of a problem last couple years and buddy had some old durum, was dry and cool and still found bugs in it, i had 7000bu of durum with bugs last year what a pain that was to deal with 

• Like 1

Little update on my 'organic' neighbor. Whatever that stuff he planted, (buckwheat?) he combined it. I'd like to know how that went. He also combined the river bottom corn. Unless it got a lot better going South, doubt it, it probably didn't pay for the fuel to drive the combine there! Let alone do the harvesting.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wheatking said:

well your way ahead of me for snow anyways, was plus 11 here yesterday and plus 2 today and calling for plus 10 again tommorow which is great as grain cleaner called and were gonna clean peas for next year and a couple more loads of grain to go out before cool weather rolls in, i'm ready for snow, cause for me once it snow the year is over and time to wind down, the awesome weather weve had keeps the works goin getting this and that done

seems that bugs in grain is getting to be more and more of a problem last couple years and buddy had some old durum, was dry and cool and still found bugs in it, i had 7000bu of durum with bugs last year what a pain that was to deal with 

That was 40 or so miles north of home. We don’t have much for snow left around the farm either. Just the shady spots and a little bit of white in the fields. Certainly not snowmobile conditions yet lol. Could’ve almost picked your way down the trail up there though. Would’ve been awfully rough though. 

Yea those bugs can be a real pain that’s for sure. We’ve dealt with them a few times now.  I have one other bin with wheat from a year ago but I’d been taking some out of it during the summer and typically don’t have issues with that bin. I filled it up with some other wheat from a year ago at harvest time so hopefully it’s still good anyways. Prices sure aren’t doing much though. Wheat can’t seem to get back over 10 bucks even. Stuck down around 9. Canola is a real roller coaster too. Had a target trigger today on a small bit that I’d hauled in last week. 15.50. Would like to see a 7 or 8 on that second digit not a 5. Could be worse I suppose, could be a 2. 

We don’t do anything exciting just bale hay when the sun shines. I never think to take pictures. However I do help on a Christmas tree farm and that season is about to hit high gear. I’ll try and get a few pics in here for you all

Matt

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cm228 said:

We don’t do anything exciting just bale hay when the sun shines. I never think to take pictures. However I do help on a Christmas tree farm and that season is about to hit high gear. I’ll try and get a few pics in here for you all

Matt

For sure please do. We could all use a little Christmas cheer anyways lol.

Got a few pictures today. 

One of the tools of the trade. Husky 572.  Yes it wayyyy more saw than needed to cut down Christmas trees but it’s what I have. There are other tools but I’m no good with pruning tools. I’m good with giving it the final prune at ground level! I’ll get some tractor shots tomorrow. 

I got a shot or two of the tree fields. Sections of this field have been picked clean the last couple years. 

The group pic is from a wholesale order we delivered to a church in Briarcliff Manor Ny. Around a 3hr drive. They ask for a Sunday delivery as it’s easier to have plenty of help there. We usually get to the church just before their service starts. We join them for service and then they come out to help unload. We’ve been delivering to this church for around 20 years. The owner of the tree farm I work for is the guy on the left with the tan jacket and white Santa clause beard. I and my youngest son are in the back. I’m in the red plaid and my boy has the green shirt

IMG_2520.jpeg

IMG_2521.jpeg

IMG_2522.jpeg

IMG_2523.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s a lot of years of hard work to get those trees to that point. Looks good.  Saw is definitely overkill but I do the same so I’m not going to judge lol 😂.  

we were just talking this afternoon weather we were going to get a real tree again this year or not. We’ve never put up a fake one but some years have slacked off and didn’t go to the bush to get one.  We have a bunch on our own quarter but I’ve never taken the time to shape or prune them. Lots are grown close together too so that’s not the best either.  Usually manage to find something acceptable though and throw some ornaments on it.  Definitely not all of them were Charlie Brown Christmas trees lol. 

18 minutes ago, acem said:

Still mudding soybeans out.

PXL_20231123_192640912.jpg

PXL_20231124_191415157.jpg

Ooff that doesn’t look Like fun. If that was our dirt there’d be nothing left of the seat cushion from being puckered up all the time lol. Hopefully the end is in sight you’ve had a tough fall with mud and down rice. 

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2023 at 4:31 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

Even just parts are getting expensive. 550$ in those few loose parts at the front of the table.  Ended up getting one wrong bearing so I can’t start putting it back together anyways 😢. Guy who ordered it mistook a A as a 4. Just so happened that crossed to another bearing in a chaincase from a older sled.  Luckily it’s a more common bearing. 6205 I believe. 

1C68B3FC-FE61-4FC9-B96C-FA20AE5B63A9.jpeg

Ryan....not to mention  that ''diesel  additive,'' that you sometimes use,  has increased in price as well...:rolleyes:.

Mike

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mike newman said:

Ryan....not to mention  that ''diesel  additive,'' that you sometimes use,  has increased in price as well...:rolleyes:.

Mike

I haven’t tried the cherry flavored diesel to see if it has any better additives yet might have to look into that 😂😂 no carbon tax on the red fuel so it’s cheaper so far lol.  Still stupid expensive for what it is though. Paying 1.45/l give or take a few cents now. 

Just now, poor farmer/logger said:

I haven’t tried the cherry flavored diesel to see if it has any better additives yet might have to look into that 😂😂 no carbon tax on the red fuel so it’s cheaper so far lol.  Still stupid expensive for what it is though. Paying 1.45/l give or take a few cents now. 

...twice  that here...sigh

I should apologize for that   annual reminder of the inadvertent use of the wrong feul,  Ryan, but I won't because your explanation  of the incident was so amusing.........:D

of course I have never done dumb things....:unsure:....what !!!:rolleyes:

Mike....

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

That’s a lot of years of hard work to get those trees to that point. Looks good.  Saw is definitely overkill but I do the same so I’m not going to judge lol 😂.  

we were just talking this afternoon weather we were going to get a real tree again this year or not. We’ve never put up a fake one but some years have slacked off and didn’t go to the bush to get one.  We have a bunch on our own quarter but I’ve never taken the time to shape or prune them. Lots are grown close together too so that’s not the best either.  Usually manage to find something acceptable though and throw some ornaments on it.  Definitely not all of them were Charlie Brown Christmas trees lol. 

Yes many years, 6-7yrs to get to the 6’ saleable height. 

We used to go out on the farm and cut a small hemlock each year for our tree. Then we started helping on the tree farm, now we get one there.

• Like 1