2023 crop pics

Well first nice day in a little over a week now. Really warmed up this afternoon and the sun was out with crystal clear blue skies. Decided to go open up some trails that had a whole bunch of deadfall on them. Didn’t get any work done on the main trails but got the loop to my grandfathers mill site cleared up again at least. Burnt up a tank of gas. Have another 3-4 days left yet of work to do. Hoping to take the trucks up and bucks some of it up into firewood for this winter. Most is green but there’s some good dry stuff too.   Was wandering around down by the river and found a traffic pylon from Prince Albert. Floated downstream about 35-40 miles and happened to get stuck there I guess.  I’m sure it didn’t make its way into the river on its own. 

DE6D9634-5D67-4DD0-A0BD-C855F74876B6.jpeg

353E6821-2DA1-4EDE-8BB5-E8C9707A4C1F.jpeg

D584D5AD-47AB-4C35-B3AB-779EBC19CF8C.jpeg

584D4547-5D6A-46C0-9087-1BD0F48068F1.jpeg

A44EC62E-EFC2-4E25-88A5-0B89215F7040.jpeg

9B42F74A-AC60-4CBE-BAA1-95F706D990C2.jpeg

83E8F5EE-F932-43D8-A58B-5329F16C5808.jpeg

721C6745-6958-448D-B739-E9280F944751.jpeg

0270BCA6-F7E5-4E74-8A59-48B0B9DCB0A4.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DT Fan said:

farmer/logger, do you ever do any fishing in these beautiful rivers and lakes you post pictures of? I drool every time I see them!

I haven’t for years but there are quite a few that do fish in the river north of home. My brother and nephew do a fair bit of fishing but not to many others in the family do.  I’ve lost more fishing hooks then I’ve caught fish in the river so I kind of gave up lol. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I haven’t for years but there are quite a few that do fish in the river north of home. My brother and nephew do a fair bit of fishing but not to many others in the family do.  I’ve lost more fishing hooks then I’ve caught fish in the river so I kind of gave up lol. 

Okay, what kind of fish are in the river?

1 hour ago, DT Fan said:

Okay, what kind of fish are in the river?

Sturgeon, jack fish, goldeye walleye and I’m sure a few other species that I don’t know.  Been quite a few sturgeon caught just north of home near the forks of the rivers.  They’re a ugly looking dinosaur lol. 

• Like 1

Got the last of my spraying done this afternoon finally. Got the sprayer rinsed out and all the lines blown out tonight when I got home. Still have to get some antifreeze for it but it’s drained enough even if it freezes I don’t think it will hurt anything. Hopefully get that last little bit of canola combined this week and then put things to rest for the winter.  Was another really nice afternoon today again. 

BA3B671A-35AE-4FC6-A29C-ADDBB72DD920.jpeg

05DA0DA8-8A68-40C7-994C-A4F41A938FC4.jpeg

• Like 1

Gave mother the keys to the swather and said don't give em back till next summer😄

Took the 656 up north to start hauling hay home

IMG_20231009_115059539.thumb.jpg.999f857e26d897eb5888303495e0238b.jpg

After a short derail

IMG_20231009_143658631.thumb.jpg.61eac6ddb952ae455eb29909f327c4db.jpg

Got going with two loads hauled home before dark

IMG_20231009_161541474.thumb.jpg.619b10b277ffb49f87e771f90cba7b6b.jpg

Couple weeks of good luck and I will have em home to get test weights and yard.

All meadows put up right at double last year (not a great year to go by) and should have enough hay for a semi bad winter if I have to start feeding Nov 1st.

Still tons of grass in the hills and if fire don't burn it off or snow cover it up, I should be able to graze well into January 🤞🤞🤞🤠

• Like 4

Well that’s the official end to harvest now. Was kind of fun to be back in the cab even if it was only for a hour lol.  Not quite dry but it’s close enough. I’ll have to haul it straight in anyways as I don’t have any bin space left.  Had a load on the semi yet that we had to haul in this afternoon before I could combine as it was.  Little piece yielded better then I thought so it’s kind of like a Christmas bonus lol. E9DDA97E-227F-44E5-8BB5-5BC88EC807F3.thumb.jpeg.52df06f35c8b2f1146727cf12357dd9a.jpeg

C835962D-6EF2-4980-9FB2-0BF881FF7534.jpeg

F44AB179-99B5-4484-88F9-FB51A7B3036C.jpeg

FCE85CC7-CB06-4858-9237-B43E425D2D46.jpeg

• Like 5

not to much goin on around here every one seems to have gotten what they wanna do done and now are looking for new projects to do, i wanted to rototill the garden before winter made a few rounds and it quit turning pulled into shop found seized bearing and bad chains debating to change all bearings or fix the one and carry on i got it tore apart into 50 pieces so hope i remember how it goes together

i see the snow show advertised in saskatoon, hoping to maybe attend this year, usually we plan but the weather always goes bad around that time 

• Like 2

Got a couple of pics doing the last field of beans. Kind of broke a 'snout' yesterday, Went and talked to Aaron, got new, used spring, back in business. Didn't seem like it was right though. Long story short, opened up the field knowing that shout might let go at any time, it did. Did the last 1/3 Nascar style, all left turns! Anyway, managed to get done, changed heads and got things put away before dark. Guess I got a partial line-up picture too. Had to get them all out to get the head and trailer back in the shed.

IMG_2577.jpeg

IMG_2579.jpeg

IMG_2580.jpeg

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, wheatking said:

not to much goin on around here every one seems to have gotten what they wanna do done and now are looking for new projects to do, i wanted to rototill the garden before winter made a few rounds and it quit turning pulled into shop found seized bearing and bad chains debating to change all bearings or fix the one and carry on i got it tore apart into 50 pieces so hope i remember how it goes together

i see the snow show advertised in saskatoon, hoping to maybe attend this year, usually we plan but the weather always goes bad around that time 

Must be something in the water lol.  Just in the process of putting ours back together so I can till our garden too. I went in with the high clearance sprayer and sprayed the spots I could get into. Even with the boom tips folded in I didn’t have quite enough room to do it all. Figured I’d be on the *^%* list if I sprayed out all the raspberries rhubarb and strawberries lol.  Wind was in my favor so I think I’m safe. Find out next spring I guess lol. 

0F990463-C7FF-4436-BDB8-59263659ED0A.jpeg

AEB51362-1051-497E-84F7-45E7D79F33CF.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, db1486 said:

Canola is sure dusty this year. Driving blind alot of times lol

When I finished up everything else before it really was like you were driving blind. Just point and shoot kind of thing.  Went back in the daylight the next day and didn’t find any missing pieces so I thought I did pretty good lol.  No way I could’ve straight cut like that though I don’t think. Least not without overlapping a whole bunch. My lines would’ve been pretty crooked in the field too I think lol. 

• Like 2

Was running soybeans today, and noticed on the far end of the field a kid running towards me. Not sure what to think until he gets to me and hands me the bag. He thanked me and then ran back to the white truck that decided to come get him!

Made me feel good about our local FFA program. Had heard of stories the past few years it was starting to slide. Last year they hired a new advisor, and guess he is determined to turn things around. Good for them!!

IMG_20231011_173223266_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231011_173234093_HDR.jpg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Farmerboy72 said:

Was running soybeans today, and noticed on the far end of the field a kid running towards me. Not sure what to think until he gets to me and hands me the bag. He thanked me and then ran back to the white truck that decided to come get him!

Made me feel good about our local FFA program. Had heard of stories the past few years it was starting to slide. Last year they hired a new advisor, and guess he is determined to turn things around. Good for them!!

That is neat! They should turn the program around for sure doing things like that!

• Like 1

When I finished up everything else before it really was like you were driving blind. Just point and shoot kind of thing.  Went back in the daylight the next day and didn’t find any missing pieces so I thought I did pretty good lol.  No way I could’ve straight cut like that though I don’t think. Least not without overlapping a whole bunch. My lines would’ve been pretty crooked in the field too I think lol. 

I put all led lights on the Massey a few years ago and I found I could see through the dust better at night. Dad said it was pretty tough to see with the halogens on the cat

• Like 1

you know they invented auto steer for times like those!! never thought i'd enjoy it as much as i do especially in times like those, combining peas and can see a dang thing so dusty gives you time to watch for rocks 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, db1486 said:

I put all led lights on the Massey a few years ago and I found I could see through the dust better at night. Dad said it was pretty tough to see with the halogens on the cat

I almost pulled the trigger on a set of led lights for the 2188 this fall but ran out of time to get them installed before harvest  so I left it.  I didn’t do that much combining after dark this fall anyways. Only a couple of nights I worked past 11:00. Most nights I was in the house by 10:00 for a change. 

2 hours ago, wheatking said:

you know they invented auto steer for times like those!! never thought i'd enjoy it as much as i do especially in times like those, combining peas and can see a dang thing so dusty gives you time to watch for rocks 

I’ve considered adding auto steer to the combine now that we have the straight cut header. Before that it was kind of pointless. Swather doesn’t have auto steer either so the combine wouldn’t have a straight line to follow anyways. 

3 hours ago, Farmerboy72 said:

Nice to see for sure. Coop where we buy our fuel was handing out some baskets kind of like that as well. Mom and dad went out for fuel one day and the manager came running out with a bag full of goodies. Said we’d won it in their draw but I’m not sure he even had one just handed them out lol. Wasn’t going to ask questions just thanked him and said just for that I’d hold off on doing a snow dance a couple extra weeks.(he’s always bugging me about snowmobiling and thinks of me every time it snows lol)  He’s not a winter person.  

• Haha 1

haha just jokin on the auto steer i put it in my swather before i had it in the combine that made life easier as i cant hold a straight line no matter what and being we had the 21-2388 sometime depending on canola crop 36ft was to big so i could set it to 30 or 33 ft and go nicely

better lights on the 2188 would be better i was always gonna put them on mine to but then just upgraded combine, my seeding tractor id like to install LEDs 

must be nice to get all them goody bags, i didnt get any this year, but the banks and FCC have come out before 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Farmerboy72 said:

This close to done with beans and am waiting for fuel! Lo fuel warning has beeped at me twice, better not take the chance!

IMG_20231013_173911649_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231013_173847791_HDR.jpg

Lol I get nervous when the gauge gets below a 1/4. Don’t think ours has a low fuel alarm at all just the gauge. Have run it down to the empty make a couple times but was kind of puckered up and fingers crossed lol. Least that’s a east problem to fix.