Molded plastic re-machined.I have a plastic holder for a GPS unit I use off road.The roller allows a very tight grip but it popped out and was lost, it had little trunnions molded on the ends of the roller. I received a new replacement unit for free from RAM, nice of them. I made a new UHMW roller with a riveted SS pin to hold it in .

IMG_0760.jpeg

IMG_0761.jpeg

IMG_0762.jpeg

IMG_0764.jpeg

IMG_0765.jpeg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, just Dave said:

You will likely need to use some gear reduction even with the DC motor.  I’ve had a Bridgeport head on a planer before but the feed rate was a problem.

For sure.  

Pass the 5 inch 8 point wrench. This is a hand full of scrap turned into a hammer wrench that was able to move the rusted stuck bearing adjuster on my track loader. Two hammers in unison 180 degrees apart move a thread in a floating fashion where a pull on a long handle will bind into one side. I have saved buckets of various drops at the saw and shear so free. 

IMG_0503.jpeg

IMG_0504.jpeg

• Like 3

IMG_0786.thumb.jpeg.545c036839ed5c12fb5ad142e6eca6de.jpeg I made some progress on the drill press yesterday, Rainy day so inside work. Polished out all the bearing bores and did a final wipeout of the head casting. Notice the sleeve on the wire brush. If you bore a piece of plastic for a tight fit you can slide it down to contrail diameter of brush at speed for a good fit on various size bores. I jacked it up and moved it back on to the column. The casting is around #500 and I don’t have overhead crane available in this location, 9 foot ceiling but still not enough headroom over this unit. The machine seems to of had good oil in it at the time it was subjected to water in the head so most of the rusty crap scraped and wiped off with out to much trouble. The paint inside is pretty good the paint out side is terrible. The casting is pretty much bare to the filler they smooth machine tool castings with pre paint. I am mechanically focused so maybe later.

IMG_0787.thumb.jpeg.5c0049ba8ed612dc66e1f2549f4a963b.jpeg

IMG_0791.jpeg

IMG_0791.jpeg

• Like 3

I put that last picture in twice once right side up and it came out upside down so I flipped it in the photo album and inserted it again but  the site still makes it upside down???

This bead breaker is a connecting rod out of a steam pump and a couple other scraps. It works on tractor tires, semi tires and cars and truck tires are a cinch. I have had 10 or 12 foot bars on it breaking down rusty semi tires that came with my property back when bad dumpers lived up hill. Any way simple cheap and very effective. The white plastic is some scrap I stuck in there to keep the rod from chewing on my wall. That’s a trailer tire off an old RV of mine I’ve been scrapping. I took some aluminum down to the scrap yard yesterday that I had picked clean of all nails, screws, staples and wood. I thought it would worth while…..what a waist of time. The rest is going in the shred lot screws and allIMG_0798.thumb.jpeg.1076b88957b68274a5dbd19b139da525.jpegIMG_0799.thumb.jpeg.740f8b8d18cbc78155fde6c7ae8b590d.jpeg

• Like 4

A little screw up made goodIMG_0818.thumb.jpeg.66f101020990137953ee88869c808522.jpeg

I had a little nickel stick welding to do on a cast vice. So in the process I managed to graze a clamp screw seen here. Not to worry, a few strokes of a triangle file working from a clean spot one thread at a time, into the damage straight out the other side to the correlating undamaged V.IMG_0819.thumb.jpeg.1e1115c09eb597f94ed8ef14709d353d.jpeg

This works fine on bent, dinged threads also. A file can be your milling machine and your lathe n a pinch. On very hard materials I will some times use a cutoff wheel with the 60 degree profile ground on the edge of my wheel. This can be particularly useful on ID threads that have been damaged.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2023 at 6:16 PM, mike newman said:

seeing a   ''honda''  coming into an otherwise interesting synopsis on various machine tools etc......brought me back to the harsh realities of this world......:rolleyes:

Mike

Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians has sucked the guts out of American manufacturing. There is probably a big correction coming, I hope it’s a good one and I hope we live to see it. I have an old set of Bluepoint wrenches, very thin. lite and a very good precision fit. I broke one one and the Snap-On guy cried and cried about replacing it.  Blue Point branded wrenches were only in small sizes at the time so he wanted me to buy a 7/8” Snap -On for a reduced price and forget the life time replacement warranty. I should have gone over his head, but there was work to be done, so I let free enterprise screw me. Let the buyer beware and aware I the idea of a better product for a better price is long gone. To sum up I’ve never had a Honda I didn’t love.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, just Dave said:

Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians has sucked the guts out of American manufacturing. There is probably a big correction coming, I hope it’s a good one and I hope we live to see it. I have an old set of Bluepoint wrenches, very thin. lite and a very good precision fit. I broke one one and the Snap-On guy cried and cried about replacing it.  Blue Point branded wrenches were only in small sizes at the time so he wanted me to buy a 7/8” Snap -On for a reduced price and forget the life time replacement warranty. I should have gone over his head, but there was work to be done, so I let free enterprise screw me. Let the buyer beware and aware I the idea of a better product for a better price is long gone. To sum up I’ve never had a Honda I didn’t love.

......Dave,,,I get that about the Honda....my foray's into  " non  American ""consumer   goods ...down under here, includes  ""Yamaha""   quad bikes.....and that possibly is more about the vagaries of trade and currency   machinations...and the subsequent horrendous cost.....than availability....But it seems even our domestic manufacturing base has been exported ''off shore''.....primarily to  offer a cheaper product to the luckless consumer.....and to heck with the quality.......

New Zealand used to make excellent boots...not the most glamorous  of product line's  but great to keep your feet from fraying around the edges...but now we  rely on imported crap ...sourced from faraway lands where  half  the peasants go  bare foot...... 

As for the ""Blue point'    tools...(Spanner  , Dave  ,,,Spanner...not Wrench,,,sigh )..... an example of the male low life that is proliferating most of our countries ...smashed its way into the 20 ton Hitachi Excavator back in that era and removed the batteries....drained the diesel..but worse...much worse stole my set of Blue Point pry bars and my late Dads  18inch Diamond    Caulk  Horseshoe  Co   (Duluth  Mn  )  adjustable spanner.....  That really hurt...

Mike

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, mike newman said:

As for the ""Blue point'    tools...(Spanner  , Dave  ,,,Spanner...not Wrench,,,sigh )..... an example of the male low life that is proliferating most of our countries ...smashed its way into the 20 ton Hitachi Excavator back in that era and removed the batteries....drained the diesel..but worse...much worse stole my set of Blue Point pry bars and my late Dads  18inch Diamond    Caulk  Horseshoe  Co   (Duluth  Mn  )  adjustable spanner.....  That really hurt...

There was a large Deere articulated 4wd being used on a county bridge project here several years ago. The lengths that the modern low life will go to avoid “working” is really something. They stole the batteries and drilled a hole in the plastic fuel tank and made off with several hundred gallons of diesel, which is all too common. But, this tractor was equipped with several thousand pounds of wheel weights bolted to the outside duals. They stole those as well. I would think it would be much easier to get a job than steal the still attached 450 lb wheel weights at night? Idiots…

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

There was a large Deere articulated 4wd being used on a county bridge project here several years ago. The lengths that the modern low life will go to avoid “working” is really something. They stole the batteries and drilled a hole in the plastic fuel tank and made off with several hundred gallons of diesel, which is all too common. But, this tractor was equipped with several thousand pounds of wheel weights bolted to the outside duals. They stole those as well. I would think it would be much easier to get a job than steal the still attached 450 lb wheel weights at night? Idiots…

....yeah doesn't  just make you  so mad DFP......more so when those basturds  steal this stuff from   ''regular'  blokes   who have some measure of integrity  and would never  ever stoop that low......

Mike 

• Like 2

32mm 8 point xtra deep well socket. Can’t find one,  so

IMG_0828.thumb.jpeg.74f8185e5e80d17d707929c3477a1fb6.jpeg

to the scrap pile, mainly bare ends from DOM  and CDS,  good high yield steel.

IMG_0829.thumb.jpeg.3bfa9d61590b494b3128179b4a2f775d.jpeg

Grind the rust and mill scale out to preserve end mill life span.

IMG_0830.thumb.jpeg.5e2692b8998ee0197530284ec3ec45fa.jpegIMG_0831.thumb.jpeg.877d9489026089dee828b827f8241b71.jpegIMG_0832.thumb.jpeg.80269252c989549003223161ff276773.jpeg

1/4” endmill 1050 RPM .600” depth of cut. Eight  1/2”  flats evert 45 degrees on .505” spindle off set with hand feed brisk. There is an over run on one of the flats , my screwup. Other wise it fits perfectly on the head bearing lock nut on my Honda Silverwing. I was getting a little shimmy but still smooth motion so I decided to tighten things up. I made need a tire also.

IMG_0833.thumb.jpeg.a253a58eda7856d2e6adb88ce1cb65b7.jpegIMG_0834.thumb.jpeg.fa03b78a8860b2f4efcb81551763e050.jpeg

I put an 1 1/2” hex on the other end to drive it. 3/8” hog mill. I have about an hour in rust removal and machining.

• Like 5

Very good!  Reminds me that I should get the extra lathe chuck I have set up to clamp on my rotary table.  I got it for use on the tailstock of the lathe but it may as well do some other duties as well.

• Like 1

Collect every chuck you see. They are very handy at the press for an adjustable support. I have a monster chuck hanging under the front of a Kubota, it makes good ballast and I have crafted a implement coupling system that uses the three jaw to connect.IMG_0086.thumb.jpeg.fe16ddec7c7e960825cc7f30f6c08be5.jpeg

Generally I only use the front 2” receiver for a rubber clad snow blade I use for my concrete driveway. I needed to move a couple trailers and I had the Goosen Harper chipper on the back and wasn’t done with it yet so I made this ball attachment. The winch swivels almost 180 degrees to keep the cable reeved evenly. 

On 5/27/2023 at 7:13 AM, mike newman said:

New Zealand used to make excellent boots...not the most glamorous  of product line's  but great to keep your feet from fraying around the edges...but now we  rely on imported crap ...sourced from faraway lands where  half  the peasants go  bare foot...... 

Scene is an Oz government departmental outlier.  At morning smoko one staff member is opening his mail parcel of a new issue of boots.  Ribald discussion ensues and concludes that he'd be better off tossing the boots and wearing the cardboard box.  It would be more comfortable and last longer

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

The gear head drill press is about ready to go back together. I don’t see any signs of water getting up into the spindle, but it does have grease in the bearings, that bad. The machine has an oil pump and should see some spray making to the spindle. The bearings are smooth so disassembly/cleaning should do it. The preload nut is quite tight. The spanner holes are .140” , a size I don’t have at hand so I will grind a pair of set screws. I have some 1/8 points on hand, but I don’t like to foul spanner nuts with poor fitting tools.

IMG_0851.thumb.jpeg.189c4439b6f1ac68d62a40ec310cda5f.jpegIMG_0848.thumb.jpeg.6fec2af656f152c886e785cc41c14eec.jpeg

This little Cutter Grinder is older than me but good as new. I used it a bunch making hardened unobtainable parts for my IH 150B engine clutch.

It is going to take a very long capacity press to get this spindle apart. It would fit my 50 Ton but that would require a bunch of rigging to stretch out the press so I decided to see if the lathe would push it. There should only be a ton or two of press.

IMG_0853.thumb.jpeg.33868a069ca858b056c6b9475cef072e.jpeg
It went well 

• Like 4

That last photo might help explain the demise of the tailstock adjusting screw nut on our vintage lathe.  It was made in Brisbane Oz and went into the local garage in 1935.  I inherited it and had to do some fixing to make it workable.  It doesn't get a lot of work but demonstrates that a lathe is a long way ahead of no lathe.  But chance of any replacement parts is about zero.

The tailstock fix was the left hand thread section of a suitably sized turnbuckle machined and adapted to fit.

• Like 1

I hauled some scrap the other day and ran across this, seems a shame considering  how many people are going to fall off a ladder this year. For many it will be their last trip up a ladder.

IMG_0877.thumb.jpeg.0776629b3f313b83022487a3fbd68dd9.jpeg

• Sad 1

I can’t imagine that truck wasn’t worth more than the scrap yard payed for it. I have seen a lot of stuff scrapped, mostly by people interested in a few quick dollars, that should have never been. I have an anvil in my shop that I got from someone on their way to the scrap yard. I saw it and told the guy, “You’re not going to scrap that are you?” His response was “Why, what is it?” I gave him $50 and he thought he took me for a ride. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I can’t imagine that truck wasn’t worth more than the scrap yard payed for it. I have seen a lot of stuff scrapped, mostly by people interested in a few quick dollars, that should have never been. I have an anvil in my shop that I got from someone on their way to the scrap yard. I saw it and told the guy, “You’re not going to scrap that are you?” His response was “Why, what is it?” I gave him $50 and he thought he took me for a ride. 

There are a lot of stupid people out there, sadly.

• Like 2

I was doing a little dirt work with my 75 Mustang 1700. There was a noise and then no hydros. I could see down past all the ridged hydraulic lines that the pump mount was coming loose, and when I got my hand down in there to touch the pump I could see the union off the suction side had come loose, lost suction. It has a 1 13/16”  hex nut SAE O ring fitting going into the suction filter and a 2 1/16” hex on the union. My service wrench set doesn’t go that big , so I made a couple wrenches with stub handles to fit down in this miserable little spot.

IMG_0889.thumb.jpeg.f4619d30f23d395837a9e79df288cd92.jpeg
IMG_0891.thumb.jpeg.0ef4871dd8a21e8e04788a0baedd0592.jpeg

I used some scrap corners saved from the shop floors through the years. I welded them up a little tight so I could grind the sheared edge to size. Once one the respective hex’s I slid on some cheaters and was able to easily tighten the union. I fired it up and all works great. I plan on some cleaning while I have a bunch of sheet metal off. Life is easier when you build it.IMG_0890.thumb.jpeg.e92133344a1329b6d8c9851d62de5a44.jpegIMG_0894.thumb.jpeg.03aa837398a996bb2f8e398119299fee.jpegIMG_0896.thumb.jpeg.96052d91b9a4db701c72584a61b6b565.jpeg

• Like 4