Impulsive purchase IH T-9

Long time lurker-first time poster. Thank you in advance for any information you can share with me regarding this T9. 

I found it on Craigslist and have been obsessed with this machine ever since. Probably spent 60 hours this past week searching and reading what’s out there (basically read about TD6 and TD9s due to the lack of info on gas engine models). 

This crawler is a 1941 T-9 gas engine TracTracTor. Is this the least discussed tractor of all time?? I have gone down a lot of rabbit holes chasing different obsessions, but I never googled anything with virtually NO results like the T-9. Note-I have already purchased this machine so pointing out my poor decision making and lack of common sense won’t serve any positive function. Haha

The uncertainty is a big part of the fun though and I can’t wait to get started refurbishing this machine. I’m am committed to bringing this thing back to life no matter what.

Feedback is appreciated, positive or negative. 

So i’m looking for some advice on how to proceed with transportation.

This tractor is 230 miles from its new home (too much for my half ton pickup to haul safely)

I am getting bids to bring the tractor to my property

It hasn’t run since 1971

it weighs about 10k lbs

tracks and idlers look pretty good

There is no oil or coolant in it

The engine is not locked up

I bet steering clutches are locked up

Hope the brakes are not locked up

So my questions are:

Will this thing roll onto a flatbed? 

Will I need come alongs or another tractor to pull it on to the shippers trailer?

Can a haulers winch pull it up?

Will the guy/gal I’m paying to transport know how to load it? 

I don’t want to get to the tractor to find out it can’t be loaded and waste time and money. Was thinking someone here may have been through this and could offer some tips/tricks of the trade. Thank you for commenting.

0ECCEAF2-5B01-4A56-876C-7BE9298A439B.jpeg

485E0FFA-7D3E-40E3-A7C8-0C8166E26533.jpeg

A40E5C73-A5F0-41F1-B82E-5907BD54DDA9.jpeg

DA6C19DB-5724-4832-A253-05825334C0B9.jpeg

3F1D72B8-7157-4748-99CC-E48893CD8A35.jpeg

B73DDA91-6E25-4E39-84C6-437893A4479F.jpeg

• Like 5

Congrats on your purchase, you should consider moving this to the construction forum

I think in a way the gasser might be easier to fix and find parts for+

The machine should roll unless your brake bands are seized on the drums or if your main clutch will not disengage

My concern first would be no oil, then no coolant, even if it was old molasses it helps prevent rust and stuff from drying out

Belt pulley is going to be a rare attachment now, might be able to flog that to fund other repairs

Thanks for the response hardtail. It’s good to hear you say that about gas engines.

Should I move it to construction because of the paint color? Where the yellow one construction machines?

Could I release the breaks from underneath the tractor through the break adjustment access?

The belt pulley is an interesting unit but I can’t use it for anything right now unless I find an old belt driven sawmill?? That would be sweet. 

Yeah the fluids being gone is not very good news...

Thanks 

1941 would be a very early model, I think they came out in around 39, I would think it got a repaint at some point and was originally red?

I don't know what climate your in but a lot of cold weather guys would probably prefer a gasser, the most common T6, rarest T14

If the brakes are seized you can access from underneath with a rectangular cover on each side at the rear, the brake bands are a hinged 3 part affair with a threaded tensioner, if your transmission goes into neutral and your gears are fine it should roll

Did you find out how long and why it was parked? And why they dumped fluids? At least it was inside!

I would try to make it roll. If the track links are not rusted  so they are stiff it should roll. On level ground a 4x4 pickup should move it.Will take a bit more to get it moving for the first time in years. The brakes will be the same as TD9 of the same vintage. So see what you can find about adjusting them. I had a Cat that sat for only 6 months and another same size Cat would not break the rust bond on a brake drum and lining. Loosing the adjustment and hammer fixed it quick. But you are not looking to do that with a truck charging you by the hour.

Starting at the basics,you pull(release) the steering clutch and then apply brake the make this old stuff turn.

Even though I see no sign of ever having a blade,here crawlers are part of the construction world. There are some that look in there and don't look here, so you may get more knowledge there.

• Like 1

It looks very straight, it looks like there are still the corks in the castings above the track frames from factory to protect the threads, the fact it has the belt pulley it could of been an ag cat, sometimes the steering is worse on one side cause they turned more in one direction on farm work but it's not all bashed up

You might be to shovel down in front of the tracks to help it start rolling, it might be a tight squeeze crawling under the rear if you need to loosen the brake bands

We pulled a dead TD24 that had sunk down into the ground with a TD18 was a tough grunt to first get it moving but after it came out of the hole it wasn't bad

Thanks for the comments. My gut tells me this thing is going to roll but not turn. Might take some digging and some carefully planned whacks with a sledgehammer haha. 

This machine was parked in 1971. The man selling it is part of a large family farm dating back a couple of hundred years and I think this machine has been there since new.

My theory is it was inherited by someone that didn’t end up with any land to work as the farm passed through the generations? They kept the tractor for sentimental reasons probably. Anyway he said it was used to pull a blade or plow to form terraces in the hills up there? Not sure but I think he indicated the tractor was slow and became obsolete. This family doesn’t seem to get rid of anything. There were horse drawn plows in that shed. And a bellows foundry type deal. It’s like a time capsule in there. They had some tornadoes blow through a few weeks back and pushed this shed over a bit. They want to tear it down and that’s why they listed the tractor. 

Our climate is extremely hot with occasional hurricanes and about 90 solid days of winter so diesel rubber tire tractors are all you ever see around here. I prefer the gas because I understand the engines a bit better than diesel. 

I am trying to go up there tomorrow and get into it. I shoveled out around the buried tracks to make sure they weren’t rusted out and I could definitely dig a hole to get under the draw bar. Would it be worth trying to pull the seat and panels to get at the clutches from the top? How big a job is that tackle far from home with no electricity and such?

Also I figured out that hood must be from a TD-9 because it has two holes in it (extra for the forward gas tank). This makes me think someone had designs on refurbishing at some point and either ran out of interest or funding. 

DD997958-4626-4510-A44B-84653C0C8179.jpeg

• Like 1

Did you check if there is any oil in the transmission or finals?

It might be good to take some fluids up there with you and add so when the move day comes it has soaked and softened up some, maybe just leave the engine in it's current state until you have it home to assess?

If it will roll but not turn you can use pipes under the tracks to pivot manuver or a winch or come along, they have no tractors to help?

No I didn’t check that but I read there may be a dipstick topside above the transmission? Yes they have equipment to help. There is a low wet area in front of this shed and I would prefer it drys out some before I try to load it. As luck would have it this is the wettest winter we have had in a long time and I don’t want to bury a flatbed under the weight of this puppy. Thanks for the tips on turning it. I like your idea to leave the engine as is and get into it once I have everything settled. Any ideas what fluid to take? I don’t have manuals yet. I’m guessing a bunch of 80 weight gear oil? What goes in those final drives in a warm climate machine? 

W9 sleeves and pistons are hard to find! And rods and mains too. They are kind of an orphan, CIH doesn't sell anything for them. Just an aside, the magneto turns the opposite way to all other gas IH engines. Same way as the diesels, though. Don't let it put you off, though! The gassers are nicer to run, especially on quick little jobs, and they seem to have more power than the diesels. Never could understand why they never built a Super W9!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FatCharlie said:

Long time lurker-first time poster. Thank you in advance for any information you can share with me regarding this T9. 

I found it on Craigslist and have been obsessed with this machine ever since. Probably spent 60 hours this past week searching and reading what’s out there (basically read about TD6 and TD9s due to the lack of info on gas engine models). 

This crawler is a 1941 T-9 gas engine TracTracTor. Is this the least discussed tractor of all time?? I have gone down a lot of rabbit holes chasing different obsessions, but I never googled anything with virtually NO results like the T-9. Note-I have already purchased this machine so pointing out my poor decision making and lack of common sense won’t serve any positive function. Haha

The uncertainty is a big part of the fun though and I can’t wait to get started refurbishing this machine. I’m am committed to bringing this thing back to life no matter what.

Feedback is appreciated, positive or negative. 

So i’m looking for some advice on how to proceed with transportation.

This tractor is 230 miles from its new home (too much for my half ton pickup to haul safely)

I am getting bids to bring the tractor to my property

It hasn’t run since 1971

it weighs about 10k lbs

tracks and idlers look pretty good

There is no oil or coolant in it

The engine is not locked up

I bet steering clutches are locked up

Hope the brakes are not locked up

So my questions are:

Will this thing roll onto a flatbed? 

Will I need come alongs or another tractor to pull it on to the shippers trailer?

Can a haulers winch pull it up?

Will the guy/gal I’m paying to transport know how to load it? 

I don’t want to get to the tractor to find out it can’t be loaded and waste time and money. Was thinking someone here may have been through this and could offer some tips/tricks of the trade. Thank you for commenting.

0ECCEAF2-5B01-4A56-876C-7BE9298A439B.jpeg

485E0FFA-7D3E-40E3-A7C8-0C8166E26533.jpeg

A40E5C73-A5F0-41F1-B82E-5907BD54DDA9.jpeg

DA6C19DB-5724-4832-A253-05825334C0B9.jpeg

3F1D72B8-7157-4748-99CC-E48893CD8A35.jpeg

B73DDA91-6E25-4E39-84C6-437893A4479F.jpeg

just letting you know that yellow is original and worth keeping that way. my friend had a yellow TD9.  this is a nice original unit.  they roll very easy if things are free in them. for example a 660 international tractor will drag that around like nothing.  I have pulled my TD18 with my 660. ooh ooh your missing the generator so how will you run the lights? lol. It has the magneto and the distillate manifold on it. time period correct.  what was the price on it? 

Thanks for the comments.

R Pope Orphan is a great word for this tractor. I know it can be put back together as long as the money holds out and my wife doesn’t leave me. I am going to start hoarding all the parts I can and maybe get some help along the way. So the magneto turns counter clockwise like a diesel? 

Rust red just give me a reason and I’ll paint it red, But I’m with you-In my mind it’s yellow. I have to admit I was hoping this was a gas engine and not distillate. I have no idea what that stuff was/is. Somebody posted somewhere to use 4 gallons of kerosene mixed with a gallon of gasoline and a pint of diesel fuel. Is that the deal? Also I have a bunch to figure in the electrical. Are those generators impossible to find? Not sure about 12v conversion. 

Looks like an awesome project! Take your time and enjoy it. One of the things I enjoyed about my T6 restoration is that the gas engine was less complex and managable for one of my first projects. Please keep us posted on your progress. :)

...wonderfull     project.....!!!!  Actually far better being  petrol th an diesel...in my opinion......A lot less dollars to spend on   injection   pumps and injectors   etc.....One huge plus   is that there is none of that pig iron adorning it......masquerading as  blade gear...….That was one quick way to turn the venerable IH crawler into a bucket of bolts....so......as such    your track frames   will still be straight  ...your idler slides will no doubt be fairly tight......pivot bar/main spring bushings  /diagonal brace bushings should all be good.   Where I live, steering clutch's    will "lock " up   even with the machine sitting under  cover...…...The T9 may well have this issue...brakes are easy to free though..if they are effected   …..

W9  tractors  have the same engine...….hopefully   you will find new parts or good second hand parts for your engine..Great project !! Keep us   informed  

Mike

One more thing.....if that tractor had kerosene  ' capability....'   it would haver had a petrol ''starting tank '' .  , that is  what that hole in the bonnet, front  left  , is for....Diesel engine had same hole (front left )...but the exhaust   outlet is on right  hand side of bonnet

Mike

Very encouraging comments Mike. You folks are making me feel better about acquiring this TracTracTor. Glad the gassers seem to be the choice for people who know. I definitely think the machines with a blade are not as awesome as the straight crawlers.  But I definitely could use a bulldozer(who couldn’t).

Going tomorrow to collect all the loose ends on, in and around the tractor. Planning to take anything that might blow off in transport. Lots of bits and pieces buried in the dirt around it and I don’t want to leave anything behind. Planning to address the brakes and have it pulled out of the shed for the first time since before I was even born. I’m hoping it will get picked up Friday and be at my place Friday night. Saturday is going to be like Christmas or something haha. I will post up some pictures tomorrow and look forward to your reactions. Thanks again.

Side note: I read something today that said a version of these machines were made for the military and specifically combat engineers. My grandad was the medical officer in the 1044th combat engineer battalion in WWII. He was attached to the 28th infantry division (the bloody bucket) that fought in the Hurtgen Forest. I am sure he was around these machines before he was KIA in Germany in November of ‘44. Anyway it’s all making sense to me. Life comes full circle sometimes...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FatCharlie said:

Side note: I read something today that said a version of these machines were made for the military and specifically combat engineers. My grandad was the medical officer in the 1044th combat engineer battalion in WWII. He was attached to the 28th infantry division (the bloody bucket) that fought in the Hurtgen Forest. I am sure he was around these machines before he was KIA in Germany in November of ‘44. Anyway it’s all making sense to me. Life comes full circle sometimes...

..gheez….what can one say to that ………………...

Back to the machine......Some one questioning the yellow paint job...??…….I doubt if its been repainted..if it has..it would be obvious here and there. I have seen   two only petrol T14's..both bladeless......both yellow, from the factory....

"Definitely   could use a bull dozer "   eh !...….Well , FatCharlie, just hop down to the local hire shop  and get modern  JD/Komatsu   whatever.....and spare  that neat old tractor from the hideous embarrassment of all that crap hanging off the old girl…….that effectively shortened thier life span...…. I would like to show you a pic of a later TD9 , that was freed from the bulldozer tyranny.....and now happily helps with farm (hill farm )  tillage etc...but this is a new computer....no pics yet

Mike

The military machines usually had a thick brass tag on the firewall for ID

Hard to use your bare crawler tractor unless a dozer came before and cleared for it's use...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hardtail said:

Hard to use your bare crawler tractor unless a dozer came before and cleared for it's use...

…….No Lance  !!!...the crown wheel and pinion are probably like new, still...…..blade gear would/could soon rearrange  that combo.....:)

...go discing/harrowing / drilling etc...The old girl will love it   :rolleyes:

Mike

On 2/25/2020 at 9:23 AM, FatCharlie said:

Thanks for the comments.

R Pope Orphan is a great word for this tractor. I know it can be put back together as long as the money holds out and my wife doesn’t leave me. I am going to start hoarding all the parts I can and maybe get some help along the way. So the magneto turns counter clockwise like a diesel? 

Rust red just give me a reason and I’ll paint it red, But I’m with you-In my mind it’s yellow. I have to admit I was hoping this was a gas engine and not distillate. I have no idea what that stuff was/is. Somebody posted somewhere to use 4 gallons of kerosene mixed with a gallon of gasoline and a pint of diesel fuel. Is that the deal? Also I have a bunch to figure in the electrical. Are those generators impossible to find? Not sure about 12v conversion. 

don't u dare paint that unit , not even red. once painted its not original and value is decreased if it is a nice original. u have the original decals on it now also. it will run just fine on gas. ran till now so why worry about it. plus keep the 6 volt system. I have a W9 tractor and it starts just fine with 6 volt. need the proper battery cables though. it just needs a clean up.  distillate was its own fuel, not a mix of stuff. you had to get he engine hot to temperature then switch to distillate. if not running hot it all did not burn and diluted the oil. so then you had to drain off the oil level each day. which eventually got thin and was hard on engine brgs. so just use gas and u could even use the diesel 15-40 oil in it. and yes the magnet turns counter clockwise same as the diesel engine. this is the only gas engine to do that. the 6 series turns clockwise.  I have a yellow td14 which was a military unit. and a yellow td18. ooh and also the fuel pumps are obsolete. I just happened to find one new old stock one for my w9. it can be deleted though , thing it those engines burnt so much fuel they needed a fuel pump to keep the bowl full.  and also you can start it with the hand crank if its there. they start so easy when tuned up. it should be running on the third pull of crank. the magneto makes its own power so no battery is required to start it by hand. battery is only for starter and lights. that's another simple thing.  what state is this unit in? it might have been used for field work.

• Like 1

It rolls!!

Drove 450 miles today just to get my hands on the T9. Spent a couple hours in the dirt. Loaded up all the odds and ends. Then spent some time digging in the dirt looking for the last headlight or anything else I could find. Loaded the belt pulley in the back of my truck. That thing is really heavy. Found some shutters but I don’t think they belong to this tractor. Found the petrol start tank and it is going to look great mounted back under the hood. Fluids in the transmission and the finals. Transmission slides  nice. The clutch levers pulled pretty solid and it felt like I was pushing against those big springs. I have to assume the plates are frozen. Clutch lever to engage the transmission felt good too. One of the brake pedals went straight to the floor and the other felt like it was engaging like it should. 

Met Rhett, the guy that owns it and picking his brain about the machine was pretty cool. Honestly he couldn’t remember too much but said he always took care of it and had some different greasing tools he used on the idlers etc. His cousin that is a little younger than me was handling the sale. Turns out the machine was bought new by the Rhetts Grandad. They used it to run a saw mill and a thrasher. He said around the time his GD retired the wheel tractors really took over. Rhett used the tractor as a teenager until 1966 when he went off to Clemson (Clemson is probably 20 minutes from his house haha). He said he has been wanting to pull the tractor out and do something with it but ran out of time. He had a couple of his men hook it up to an old JD 4040 and we pulled a couple of feet to make sure it rolled. Man that was a beautiful sight watching those tracks turn. When it came out into the natural light it really looked good and the yellow popped. 

25007B16-AC76-40AB-B729-973720BF26A5.jpeg

9CBE0783-D943-44AE-B9B5-1780C717FD0A.jpeg

FAE6396F-4BC1-4AD2-8753-71082AFAFE25.jpeg

A53D64E5-97E8-451A-B6BD-F7A8FA942321.jpeg

BA8AC5B0-93A6-4903-89FB-212E89750623.jpeg

B2A079E1-1A02-448C-9476-016635C08EEA.jpeg

D65F39B8-1373-4BB5-8B40-D862F91468F3.jpeg

C9772638-A64D-4DDC-837E-D51B7ADBD114.jpeg

0CE0738E-F187-494E-9DC5-8A47B35ED26E.jpeg

2FB3D297-A645-4FC5-B4FF-21F03318D221.jpeg

29B140CC-5161-4017-AE8C-43A42D55D27C.jpeg

38325C3A-4E80-4EE4-B90A-713523CD7547.jpeg

B2371FFF-4ED3-4598-8DBF-5DE99FB8773F.jpeg

EC3B3047-E920-47D3-B2D9-299090F0D16D.jpeg

ED858C10-1241-4F1C-9797-348404B3A732.jpeg

4894ED76-9E88-414A-B935-CF05AA596A11.jpeg

84EC0A7A-F1D0-4A33-8978-C89749FB6CDA.jpeg

4DBB8A5E-1C2C-4D23-80ED-DD5F3A45C63E.jpeg

F52437A7-4A1E-42C1-9A11-582C9E3A28D2.jpeg

Mike,

I put a picture of the lever you are discussing above. The man said he ran it on gas or fuel oil. He couldn’t remember. He wanted to smell the fuel tank to try and remember but I couldn’t get that cap of to save my life. It unscrewed and disengaged but it would not pop off. I didn’t want to break it so I changed the subject. He said he wasn’t the guy that pulled the small gas tank off either. He said the starter was broken and he always started it with the crank handle. I think this guy’s dad must have been the man in the know but he isn’t around anymore. Anyway hoping these pictures jumpstart some conversation. 

Couple of questions:

is it okay to power wash this thing? Any areas to avoid other than the obvious?

can I rebuild that starter myself or should I send that to a pro?

Are generators for these tractors around?