Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BOBSIH856

IH obsession with star

Does anybody know why IH had so many "stars" in their truck line up? Loadstar, Transtar, Paystar,Turbostar (concept truck) now ProStar and Lonestar, Terrastar, Workstar, Durastar and after IH was sold to TENNECO international became NAVISTAR? Did I miss some stars? Maybe they feel their trucks and company really shine.

Bob

Maybe it's because they are All Stars.

GT&T

You missed Cargostar a COE.

DWF

Runner did you know there were a Sno-Star and a Snow-Star?

Yes sir. I think we talked about it briefly a few years ago. The sno-star. Was the designation for their light line truck and scout. Special plow editions. The Snow Star was a spirit of 76 scout II that catered the us olympic ski team around. Correct? I may be backwards but im pretty sure we discussed it like that

There is a Paystar 5000 large water truck over at a construction area near here. The big sucker with the diamond tread fenders.

Looks big from the seat of the 464.

I was told it is an 80's model and probably a Cummins 855 with possibly an Allison.

Runner you remember well. Eason

People love stars. You know, "star struck," and all. Good marketing if you ask me.

a star can be considered a mark of excellence! good marketing strategy IMHO. Why does Ford call all their trucks the F Series?Take all the series trucks ever made- if you are not up on them you might have to ask who made that model but not so with a Binder

if someone don't know who made a Loadstar or Transtar they don't know trucks so it lends itself to all the Binders

..the 6x4 that we used to cart big rock for the River Catchment Board ......a ACCO 1950 model......DV550 powered, was called the "Rock Star "

....yeah, I know...a bit sad isn't it.......

Mike

Actually Loadstar was used on the medium duty L & R series in the early 50's

Well, "Loadstar" sounds like "Lodestar." And Studebaker had "Transtar" earlier.

I was watching an interesting show on the most "effective" weapons/machinery used in WW2 , The Studebaker army truck

was one of their choices . We exported them to Russia in great numbers to help their armies mobilize against Hitler .

They were so rugged and dependable they turned the inevitable tide against the Nazi war machines advances.

I would think there is probably a few surviving trucks still left ??

..the 6x4 that we used to cart big rock for the River Catchment Board ......a ACCO 1950 model......DV550 powered, was called the "Rock Star "

Mike

In the Road Test Department at Fort Wayne Engineering, there was a cart of batteries and jumpers for getting trucks that had been setting started. It had a label on it---Startstar.

Mike

In the Road Test Department at Fort Wayne Engineering, there was a cart of batteries and jumpers for getting trucks that had been setting started. It had a label on it---Startstar.
Howard are you retired from Navistar? I was at the New Carlyle proving grounds this fall doing some testing. Reading the above comment about Studebaker who originally owned Navistar's current proving grounds.

Yes, I worked in the Product Reliability group in Fort Wayne for 30 years.

I've been trying to find an excuse that would get me into the new test track. I don't have any good excuse, but I've heard there is a bicycle tour that makes a lap around it, might have to try that. I grew up near there and it always seemed like a big mystery behind all those trees. Who were you with for the testing? I understand Freightliner continues to use the track. That seems like a strange combination.

Yes, I worked in the Product Reliability group in Fort Wayne for 30 years.

I've been trying to find an excuse that would get me into the new test track. I don't have any good excuse, but I've heard there is a bicycle tour that makes a lap around it, might have to try that. I grew up near there and it always seemed like a big mystery behind all those trees. Who were you with for the testing? I understand Freightliner continues to use the track. That seems like a strange combination.

I work for Spartan Motors. While there they were doing 5000 mile durability testing on a prostar and there was also a freightliner running the course, they also had a loaded down F550 on the Oval track and skid pad area. While waiting to start our testing the visitor area had a lot of posters of IH trucks hanging on the walls. After our testing was complete the driver took us in our firetruck through the diffe rent test areas it was really near and I hope to go back soon.

I was watching an interesting show on the most "effective" weapons/machinery used in WW2 , The Studebaker army truck

was one of their choices . We exported them to Russia in great numbers to help their armies mobilize against Hitler .

They were so rugged and dependable they turned the inevitable tide against the Nazi war machines advances.

Go to Russia. They liked those trucks so well they reverse engineered them and built copies for decades.

How about Diamonds for engines. Green, black, blue, red, probably more.

Go to Russia. They liked those trucks so well they reverse engineered them and built copies for decades.

That and the K series IH

How about Diamonds for engines. Green, black, blue, red, probably more.

add SILVER and the later Red Diamonds were the Royal Red Diamond series

post-376-0-65523300-1457389947_thumb.jpgThis 2070A has gotten the nickname "DeathStar"