Progress report on my 66 I.H. pick-up restoration

The good news here Tony is that all of those wheels look awesome: they all suit your Binder but they give it different looks.

Personally I lean towards the steelies and hubcaps. They give an understated look that ties in nicely with your painted rocker covers and colour-coded interior. I particularly love the 'International' script hubcaps that were suggested by Sledgehammer B)

When considering wheels, have you considered what you're doing with the interior? You've mentioned the colour, but is that a retrim of the original bench? Or more modern buckets? I would think steelies and hubcaps tie in well with a bench seat; whilst Modern buckets would pair well with the full chrome wheels.

Any direction you choose will be winner with that sharp body. I reckon I speak for more than myself when I say this is an exciting build to be watching and I'm stoked for you :D

I should also compliment you on your choice of gauges. They look fantastic in the body-coloured steel dash. Obviously not factory gauges, but not a screaming clash either. A great period-looking aftermarket gauge.

On 12/31/2016 at 3:28 PM, redneckchevy9 said:

in mot cases, old school & new school don't seem to jive in my book.  Although i am fairly young, I like the old school look.  Nothing drives me more nuts than seeing a gorgous muscle car with newer style wheels on it.  

Agree 100%. A new musclecar would look ridiculous with big old fat sidewalls on a 15" rim. An old musclecar looks ridiculous with a 20" rim. I understand having to go a little bigger to accomadate larger disc brakes but there is a line where it gets tacky in my book too..

1/6/17 ,

Just few pictures of progress to date.

Air conditioning being wired & set up . Wiring being done on entire truck .  Radiator is done ready for install.

Our big hang up ! Need a fuel tank !  Mine was rotten inside ,the donner truck tank is to big to fit in this space . Looking for a 1966 A1000 pick up tank no luck so far.

Tony

IMG_3690.JPG

IMG_3691.JPG

IMG_3692.JPG

IMG_3694.JPG

IMG_3695.JPG

IMG_3696.JPG

10 hours ago, new guy said:

Scoutparts.com shows a couple tanks for pickups. Dont know if they are close to what yours is..

https://scoutparts.com/NOS_Saddle_Fuel_Gas_Tank/p16972

14 hours ago, new guy said:

Scoutparts.com shows a couple tanks for pickups.

If you call scout parts for a price on tank have a seat nearby :)     They are known for some proud pricing

I believe Tony's tank will have the fill connection in the top of the tank , the one linked is for a fender fill style .

they are showing a NOS tank that should be correct

Edit ,my mistake fuel tank is gone now !

Thanks fellas ,for the web sites for tank .

We have checked all and the ones we find have different filler locations.

We are looking !

Amazing ! A person thinks you have all the big stuff done and its the little stuff that offer the challenges.  Example , Fuel pump on engine will not fit ,without little bending persuasion ,so decided to go with a electric fuel pump , After lining brackets for Vintage air ,stock radiator & fan will not fit. So we are using stock radiator with electric fan cooling to preserve most of the stock look . Finding new or used good Front brake drums not to be found so, we are using a new set from Ford Or Chev. I forget which and drilling the holes & machining the center hole to match.  With the four barrel need to revamp stock air cleaner  to fit carb & clear the hood. 

Remember this is a torsion front end ,that had a six and the 345 came off a solid front axle little heavier 1/2 ton P.U. Everything looks the same but just little larger all around.

Its been a challenge but the suspense has been great . Hoping I do not have severe withdrawal  symptoms when its done.

I will say this though !, Doctors tell you not to sit on your wallet while driving or on a tractor because it throws your back out of line and can cause back pain.  WELL , DOING THIS P.U. HAS ELEVIATED THAT PROBLEM ! MY WALLET IS AS FLAT AS A CREDIT CARD. IF YOU GET WHAT I MEAN :o:lol:

Tony

Hey Fellas,

Little update on the Binder today,1/17/17.

Engine wiring done , Grill , Radiator, electric fan ,done  ,Air conditioning installed.   The hoses under fender well is the Air Cond. Hoses.

Men were working on exhaust system . We decided to bring them straight back and tuck them under before bumper. They will not be seen but will be CeramiKoted.

They reworked tail gate with buffer.

Rod and I today decided on wheels ,be about 6 weeks for them to be built . they are billet two piece and wanting to emboss I.H. on center.

I included a pic of the one we both agreed on. It is concaved as my preference.  May Have grey or gold paint insert . Depending on Upholstery which will be 77 chev. buckskin in color.  Rear will be 10" & front 7" 

Few Pic's,

Tony

IMG_3721.JPG

IMG_3722.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

IMG_3725.JPG

IMG_3726.JPG

IMG_3727.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

IMG_3730.JPG

IMG_3731.JPG

metalfx_modsport_cover_loc_20x10-1602-089-00-501.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Feb. 1 2017 .

No pictures ,not much too different then last pic's .

However , lot of tying loose ends going on.  WE made our own new fuel tank ,Stainless, Exhaust is done but being CermiKoted . Wires etc. are being completed.

New front Drums finally coated and on.  Measurements being made to order the billet wheels.  Waiting on Chrome shop for bumpers , Not satisfied with first coating so redoing.

With new tank we are planning on putting fuel pump in tank.  Thinking it will be ready for its first start soon.

Tony

36 minutes ago, tony in ca. said:

Feb. 1 2017 .

No pictures ,not much too different then last pic's .

However , lot of tying loose ends going on.  WE made our own new fuel tank ,Stainless, Exhaust is done but being CermiKoted . Wires etc. are being completed.

New front Drums finally coated and on.  Measurements being made to order the billet wheels.  Waiting on Chrome shop for bumpers , Not satisfied with first coating so redoing.

With new tank we are planning on putting fuel pump in tank.  Thinking it will be ready for its first start soon.

Tony

What grade stainless did you use?

38 minutes ago, tony in ca. said:

Have no idea . It was made by a local race shop that Rob uses for such things.

Tony

If its made from 400 series (409 most common) sermakote is a good choice. With the product you use can you get a mirror like finish on your pipes? 

8 hours ago, BOBSIH856 said:

If its made from 400 series (409 most common) sermakote is a good choice. With the product you use can you get a mirror like finish on your pipes? 

Oh! , I thought you were asking about fuel tank.  If so ,Do not plan to CermiKote it.  Just buff & Leave it natural ,perhaps clear coat, it will be tucked up in frame.

As for exhaust pipes, Rob's men built them in house and they asked me; "Do you want to leave these stainless & polish them? "  Or CermiKote them to match manifolds exhaust & intake. ?

With CermiKote all I need do is wipe them off to keep them looking good.  I am no way interested in laying under P.U.  polishing S.S. exhaust pipes to keep them looking good. 

The pipes will be tucked high and tips will end  down ward, tucked before bumper .  Of all the samples of tips I saw there was none that I thought would enhance this particular truck.  If I can get decent sound from hidden pipes, I think less is more.

Tony

18 hours ago, tony in ca. said:

Oh! , I thought you were asking about fuel tank.  If so ,Do not plan to CermiKote it.  Just buff & Leave it natural ,perhaps clear coat, it will be tucked up in frame.

As for exhaust pipes, Rob's men built them in house and they asked me; "Do you want to leave these stainless & polish them? "  Or CermiKote them to match manifolds exhaust & intake. ?

With CermiKote all I need do is wipe them off to keep them looking good.  I am no way interested in laying under P.U.  polishing S.S. exhaust pipes to keep them looking good. 

The pipes will be tucked high and tips will end  down ward, tucked before bumper .  Of all the samples of tips I saw there was none that I thought would enhance this particular truck.  If I can get decent sound from hidden pipes, I think less is more.

Tony

I would ask what material they used for the gas tank at minimum it should be aluminized steel. I'm guessing they probably used a corrosion resistant material but I would have them confirm just for a piece of mind.

1 hour ago, BOBSIH856 said:

I would ask what material they used for the gas tank at minimum it should be aluminized steel. I'm guessing they probably used a corrosion resistant material but I would have them confirm just for a piece of mind.

Thanks for heads up on that! 

Iwas going to say it looked more like aluminized steel . 

I ll double check . I saw it there under truck but we spent our time talking about where to place fuel pump and the opening so it fills from same as stock.

tony

2/7/17 update

Getting ever closer.  Working on final finishing touches before ready for Upholstery.

Working door handles & window ratchets , Accelerator paddle linkage to engine & carb, Exhaust system is in (welder told me it was 400 SS) but we CermiKoted them.

Wiring being done under dash, Tailgate finally in.

Wheels are ordered they say six weeks but I am figuring 8 . Anxious to hear it run ,but they were still mocking up new tank and fuel pump location.

Few pictures. BTW wheel people said they think they can manufacture I.H. on center hub. One fly in ointment is that this trucks wheel bearing housing & nut sticks out more then other vehicle's.  

Few pictures,

Tony

IMG_3795.JPG

IMG_3792.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3789.JPG

IMG_3788.JPG

IMG_3787.JPG

IMG_3786.JPG

IMG_3785.JPG

IMG_3784.JPG

IMG_3783.JPG

IMG_3779.JPG

Tony, thanks for the update.  I love the way the engine compartment turned out, very sharp.

It's not my truck, but I am getting excited to see it finished and hear it run. 

I am checking this forum on a regular basis to see if you have any news about the binder and the 806.

Thanks, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

On rainy day schedule today ! Not use to that here in Cali.

Checked with Rob on P.U.

Ready to start ,waiting on new fuel tank to be finished.

With vintage Air I assumed ducts would be under dash . He surprised the **** out of me with custom vents in dash and hoses all plumbed  under dash.

Also Original steering wheel is finished ready to go on but he is waiting on few pieces for column.

He turned key on for me and all the dash gauges lights have a Red glow to them . Like the 1066 & 1456's with green glow.

Wheels are in the works , waiting on odds & ends.

Few pic's

Tony

For your pleasure I took some pictures of friends the binder is sleeping with ; First is frame & engine of a 57 Chev. Cameo that having the body worked on . and the other is a 57 Chev . Bel -Air that was a rusted out P.O.S. when I saw it after being blasted.

IMG_3942.JPG

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3944.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3947.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

IMG_3949.JPG

IMG_3950.JPG

IMG_3951.JPG

IMG_3952.JPG

Love the detail on this truck. 

I have a 1959 B120 4x4 that's been in the family since new. It shares a lot of the same parts as yours. Hoping to get painting on it summer. Was IH red factory but was painted white in late 60's. 

Keep up the excellent work. It's coming out super nice. 

2 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Man those A/C vents make that dash really pop!!  I thought it was going to be one of those under dash type. Looks great!!

I did too !  He surprised me and I love it.

Now we are thinking of finding a good looking radio and filling in that big blank area, put speakers lower back sides of cab.

Tony