Random thoughts on the DV-800 and other V8's

Sask466

I don't believe anyone's mentioned the AC 440. IIRC, it was an orange Steiger with a triple nickel in it.

I wonder how Steiger came to build a tractor for Allis.

AC wanted to get into the 4x4 business so they contracted with Steiger. The 440 was built from 1972-1975 and was a rebadged Bearcat. Then AC came out with their own design. Steiger also built tractors for Ford and Canada Co-Op.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I imagine guys like Jerry Lagod have all left IH, moved on to greener pastures, started their own companies like Hypermax. Guy my son graduated college with got on at Melrose Pk in the dyno room about 8-10 years ago putting new engines thru their paces. He got laid-off about 2 years ago. I've seen it dozens of times, the "Good Guys" don't take being told NO very long before they move on. One poor manager in an organization can kill a company. At the same time a good manager can instill brilliance in his people and lead them to the top of their business.

That is almost painfully true. Great contributors are usually beaten down by everybody from management to the HR department. I have yet to figure out why management is considered so special and critical that it deserves enormous pay while engineering is considered to consist of simple people that are easily replaceable. Oh wait, guess who writes themselves a paycheck? It never changes...

I imagine guys like Jerry Lagod have all left IH, moved on to greener pastures, started their own companies like Hypermax. Guy my son graduated college with got on at Melrose Pk in the dyno room about 8-10 years ago putting new engines thru their paces. He got laid-off about 2 years ago. I've seen it dozens of times, the "Good Guys" don't take being told NO very long before they move on. One poor manager in an organization can kill a company. At the same time a good manager can instill brilliance in his people and lead them to the top of their business.

That is almost painfully true. Great contributors are usually beaten down by everybody from management to the HR department. I have yet to figure out why management is considered so special and critical that it deserves enormous pay while engineering is considered to consist of simple people that are easily replaceable. Oh wait, guess who writes themselves a paycheck? It never changes...

A well written treatise on the vagaries of 'big business' Gary.....

....a 'local ' example ...down under...is the top dogs in NZ's giant dairy industry.....the producers are on the rack....whilst the hierarchy gets unbelievable multi million dollar 'rewards'.......but, as you point out, its not Joe Average Farmer who gets to scratch out the suit wearing ,shiny shoe brigades cheque.......

Back to the topic.....where I worked for three years in the Turks and Caicos Islands.....power generation came from' V' diesels......five in number....with at least three full on whilst t'others were serviced etc....

Caterpillar V16's......running at 920 +/- 2 or 3 revs per minute .........and capable of huge hours because of that low speed......Very interesting for an old "diesel head " !!

Mike

part of the reason IH was looking for a big cube V8 back then was length laws were more restrictive and trailers were getting longer. After length laws relaxed cabovers went away and you had all the room you wanted for an engine . for a while at work we had a CO4000 day cab with a dv573 that motor pretty much fit under the cab

Did you actually drive a truck with a 573 in it? if so you are a rarity, that had to be mid 1960's?. Tell me more, were they good, bad,?

It certainly wasn't a power house but an ok tractor tired by the time (1973) was sold pretty soon after I got the they also had a fleetstar 1900 i believe with a 478 , and a DCF400 with a 573 that was getting repowered to an 8v71 when I started there. got to remember a lot of city tractors back then were 1800 loadstars with 345s or 392s. also had one of Dr Evils favorites a 549 powered VCO190. 8 spd roadranger

part of the reason IH was looking for a big cube V8 back then was length laws were more restrictive and trailers were getting longer. After length laws relaxed cabovers went away and you had all the room you wanted for an engine . for a while at work we had a CO4000 day cab with a dv573 that motor pretty much fit under the cab

Did you actually drive a truck with a 573 in it? if so you are a rarity, that had to be mid 1960's?. Tell me more, were they good, bad,?

It certainly wasn't a power house but an ok tractor tired by the time (1973) was sold pretty soon after I got the they also had a fleetstar 1900 i believe with a 478 , and a DCF400 with a 573 that was getting repowered to an 8v71 when I started there. got to remember a lot of city tractors back then were 1800 loadstars with 345s or 392s. also had one of Dr Evils favorites a 549 powered VCO190. 8 spd roadranger

I don't think I'd ever say a (V)CO-190 was my favorite truck, but a VCO-190 w/549 V-8 would make some nice noises! I doubt an 8 SPD Road Ranger shifted much better than the 5+2's in the CO-190's I rode shotgun in. All the ones I was around had Red Diamond 450-6's. I still can't believe that as popular as they were around the Midwest with livestock haulers that there aren't a couple around anymore. Maybe there's some out in the southwest where there was less snow & ice so no salt and rust. If I had my choice of one to save, it would have a big V-8.

I knew of a local construction company that had a V800 in a S series IH back in the late 70's. They said the same thing about the power, but it was reliable. That one was rated 320hp @ 2400, so maybe that was a factor on longevity? It's strange that the 573 & 800 shared the same 4.5" stroke. Was the short stroke why they might've short on torque?

I remember the 800 had it's distinctive "flutter sound". It really was unique, no other engine had that sound.

Archived