1066?

turbo10

the hand pump on my 1066 started leaking so pulled it off and had it rebuilt put in on and now the tractor wonders back and fourth really bad when driving it down the road. i assume its air and just wondering how to bleed it off have used it alittle hoping to just work it out

Let's see what the experts say. I'm wondering if a centering spring in the rotary metering valve is missing. Ken Ryan

First off, the steering is self bleeding. Meaning, just turn it lock to lock a few times and any air will be expelled. Second, with the engine not running, you should be able turn the wheel a little in each direction and feel the resistance of the spool shifting. The spool is moved by a torsion bar (centering spring) and if you can feel that resistance, that would mean that portion is ok. Next, you should be able to put turning pressure, engine not running, and have very little if any slippage of the steering wheel. Some times you may have to have had the engine just running and shut off as they will leak down and turn freely. If it doesn't pass those tests, I think you need a reedoo of the hand pump. Those are very complex units and do not require complete tear down to reseal them. If the unit was taken all the way apart, lord only knows what could be misplaced or missing in the unit. I should have also said, the unit should turn r easily when no lines are connected with steering wheel slipped on, as they often bind up when retorqueing the end bolts and have to be loosened and tightened very gradually.

Archived