Sign in to follow this  
BMiller

My new project....well, sort of...

Just wanted to stop in and say hello...I have been away for awhile. To make a long story short, about 20 years ago my Dad gave me this '45 Farmall A. We had went together to a farm sale in Northern California and bought it, and he fixed it up. There was a guy that owed him some money, and was a self proclaimed painter. The paint job looked ok at first (see picture), but it only lasted about 3 years or so. Well, my family and I moved from CA to Utah in 2011, and I parked the A at my Dad's shop. It ran great when I last ran it about 3 years ago. I wasn't sure what my plans were with the tractor.

Well, my Dad passed away on Christmas Day this year. By far the hardest thing I have ever gone through in my life. The only thing that was close to this pain was in '84, when I got off the school bus on our farm in Iowa to see strangers taking away all of our equipment. Thanks FHA....

When I traveled back to CA the day after Christmas to be with my Mom and sisters, I stopped by the shop and looked at the A. Some dirtbags decided to steal the carburetor and magneto/distributor off of the tractor! I am still mad about this....anyways, I decided right then and there that I needed to bring that tractor to Utah. So, on January 18th, I did just that! She is now safe and warm in my garage, and I am slowly bringing her back to life.

So, hear is my question....I have heard many things about converting these 6 volt systems over to 12 and adding electronic ignition. I have a '48 H and '48 C back in Iowa, and they are both still 6 volt systems with no issues. However, since I have to replace the magneto/distributor on my A, I am giving it some thought. What do you all think?

I am looking forward to getting her running and repainted, and I will paint a small tribute to my Dad on the tractor as well. I can't wait for the end result! Thanks for your input!

Brad

post-117041-0-53723500-1454442007_thumb.

post-117041-0-00493700-1454442021_thumb.

Hi Brad,

Sorry about your dads passing but glad you were able to corner something, Farmall A, that is meaning full to you and a memory of him.

It is your tractor so anything you decide is ok. I also have an A, C, H and kept them stock as 6volt, one with mag and the other two have distributors. They will start fine with proper battery cables and tuned. Good luck with it and keep track of your others in Iowa. As you probably know, mags do not care if 6v or 12v.

Here is a pic of my A

Dennis

post-633-0-79523800-1454473029_thumb.jpg

Hey Dennis! Thanks for the kind words! I am really enjoying working on my A, and hope that someday it will look as nice as yours! That's a beautiful tractor you have!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your father. I've been there, it's a hard thing. My best to you, and your family. I'm glad you could get something to remember him by. Could be he's going to be alot of help to you with it. Sometimes I catch myself thinking that my father is watching me while I do something, usually when it's a good time for a swift kick for a bonehead move.

I'm sorry to hear about your father. I've been there, it's a hard thing. My best to you, and your family. I'm glad you could get something to remember him by. Could be he's going to be alot of help to you with it. Sometimes I catch myself thinking that my father is watching me while I do something, usually when it's a good time for a swift kick for a bonehead move.

Thank you for the kind words...I have already found that it is really helping to be able to walk out to the garage and work on the tractor when I am struggling with the loss....He was an incredible Dad. I know he and Grandpa are right there beside me helping me work on it.