IH hot rod

Been working on this since May last year, when work and life doesn't get in the way

Started with a reproduction '28 model A chassis and steeled out 'glass body

post-15607-0-15854600-1451913709_thumb.j

Added a decent powerplant

post-15607-0-21242000-1451913810_thumb.j

Had a T56 on hand so made an adapter, going to redrill the flywheel to take the GM clutch

post-15607-0-49165600-1451913865_thumb.j

Custom 9" ( now has a true trac centre and 3.9 gears)

post-15607-0-88170100-1451913974_thumb.j

Yep 345 scout engine, it's going to have aftermarket electronic ignition, an alloy manifold and probably get a mild cam for it. Only other major inter part is a scout tailgate.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep 345 scout engine, it's going to have aftermarket electronic ignition, an alloy manifold and probably get a mild cam for it. Only other major inter part is a scout tailgate.

Sounds familiar ,"mild cam" one step up from original, is what my builder said would be the best.

I also plan to have aftermarket electronic ignition, with a four barrel , & headers.

Its going into a 66 I.H. pick-up we are doing. Replacing a six.

Tony

I'd be interested to know what cam he recommended Tony, I haven't got to my engine yet. The ignition I'm using is from Davis Unified ignition, it's a Chev HEI style and it's a huge bloody thing but is supposed to be able to fire a 50 thou gap. The manifold is an RPT and is significantly lighter than the original, and I'm gonna run headers and side pipes.

Had a play with the gearbox this week, to get the shifter where I wanted it I had to get a relocation kit. This meant ahh some rather serious surgery needed to be performed

post-15607-0-08177000-1454670096_thumb.j

And looking rather naked

post-15607-0-81203900-1454670127_thumb.j

Just a bit of info , No matter what cam you decide upon , Make sure it is degreed upon installation ,

You will want the intake lobe centerline at 106 degrees ATDC +- 1 deg,

If you use a fairly high lift cam be sure and check for piston/valve clearance and spring cap/valve guide. The exhaust and intake

rocker arms are 2 different ratios when doing calculations .

PS Nice work !! I am enjoying this thread

Ps Have you seen the Hamilton fuel injection setup ,Either TBI or MPFI Talk about sweet , Turn key and go ,no fiddling with

carbs , chokes etc

Cheers Kevin, I'll take note of the cam timing. As for EFI I looked into it and concluded, not at this stage as the budget won't allow it.

The RPT manifold does have bosses for injectors on it so if I went to EFI I would probably have the manifold drilled and buy blank fuel rail and drill to suit etc

Few more pics, I custom made some brackets to suit SBC engine mounts ( cheap and easy to find). And a few pics of the adapter I made to bolt up the T56. I started with a four cyl 3 speed bell housing. I lathed up a donut out of plastic that went over an old hyd centre bearing and inside the hole on the bell housing, then made a MDF template for the bolt holes. Then I transferred it all to a lump of 10mm plate and cut/ drilled it out. When I mated it all up I found that the clutch plate didn't fully engage the splines on the input shaft by 8mm, so I stuck the bell housing on the mill and took that off the back. I then decided that the being a cast bell housing I would put some reinforcement under it to take the bulk of the strain. Now I know that the whole thing is concentric I can tidy it up.

post-15607-0-05878100-1454818121_thumb.j

post-15607-0-00354900-1454818146_thumb.j

• 6 months later...

Bump! 

I've  been chipping away at the rod most of the year, the steering was tricky to get right ( lots of hours sitting on a tractor helped) but I sorted it eventually.

Oh and I found a use for a Briggs & Stratton Conrod....... Best use I've had for a bang & stop in years..........

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Great progress !!   Must of been a whole lot of brain strain involved with the steering shaft , Looks rugged

Yea, that is mark 3, version 7.4......I think........... Hopefully it will pass inspection.

ive got a set of headers made and am about to start the side pipes tomorrow.

pics when I'm done.

Got a bit more done over the past weeks, radiator and grill are in, headers tacked together, the aircleaner is a gutted oil bath off a f700 ( I think). 

image.jpegimage.jpeg