Fast Hitch Planter build

In temps below 60 degrees we took a heat gun and warmed the piece thoroughly and kept the paint and gun in a warm room. It tends to let the paint set quicker, although a full cure takes almost as long. The advantage is that the dust doesn't get into the wet paint as bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks nice. Basically you could build a quick attach unit that would slip into FH tubes. Have to make a 3rd link adj like you did somehow, but be good way to have both worlds

That is basically what I did. The toolbar that the units mount to is removable on cat1 3pt pins. I can slide it off and have another toolbar with something else attached if I would like. It was a lot more work than I thought it would be but a good challenge. I had never seen a FH planter before and now I think I know why. LOL

A buddy sent me a CL add a few nights ago with some planter parts on it. We have gotten a lot of rain this week so I had time to call. After a little negotiating I came home with this last night.

E25B8BFE-080E-4E5F-BE3D-AA2233A0C892_zps

There are 6 boxes with lids and I lost count somewhere North of 100 plates. A couple lids are cracked but the fiberglass is is excellent shape. I had been on the lookout for round boxes for the fast hitch planter for a while. The plates are a bonus. There were even some AC plates in the mix that will work in my 3pt AC planter.

1619EFD8-0BF9-4928-9774-795284AF505D_zps

This one had a mint decal left on it. The others are visible but not as nice. The guy said he was cleaning up in the shed and these had been sitting for probably 30 years. I was really happy with the price and the wife got dinner out on the way home so she was happy also.

I had to take a day off today to reset hours for some work/DOT rules so I worked a bit on the planter boxes/plates I picked up earlier in the week. The plates are all sorted and wired in bundles with like kinds. The lids are all clean and I repaired a couple with some JB Weld to see if it would work.

This idea came from one of Tony's resto posts. (Thanks) Bolts that hold the fiberglass hopper to the base were IH stamped. This was 3 hrs in the tumbler and the dust cleaned off.

Before:

D7E98CAE-7097-45D4-88C4-224BF0651FC6_zps

After:

F3D3094D-4726-4669-9E13-FFAC5FB966C6_zps

75B41DC3-FA70-4053-B6C4-583936336DB3_zps

B1D7E1D0-88AD-441D-BFE4-41E7053B2EFB_zps

BE3F779E-ED34-408D-8E67-4628A0D03680_zps

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got the chance to try out the planter last night. At first it wouldn't plant very well. The units had been used to plant beans in a previous life. I adjusted the depth of the disc openers to full depth and it coordinated with the closing wheels much better.  I was running into problems getting the closing wheels to turn without having the disc openers buried.  Normally angle adjustment would fix this but it wasn't helping me any.  I will admit that irbid harder to setup than a 3pt is but it works well and has been a fun challenge to build. 

First I had to finish prepping the seed bed. The old rotary how works well to bust up any clods.B22323EA-144A-48CC-9388-11A4A58906B2_zps

9E32DFE6-4E7F-4E66-A4E2-B9DA840EB469_zps

FE0BE521-36CA-4E1E-86FD-FBCAB90EE399_zps

Even the garden gets finished in he dark...

4D1D5BED-667B-4E07-A48B-05F665AE94B7_zps

• 10 months later...

I'm bumping this back to the top because of some updates.  Since purchasing the 140 from MTO I was wanting to use it to plant the garden with this year.  The FH setup worked but did not have the adjustments I really wanted to fine tune things.  So, last week I took the FH planter apart and removed the old welded on brackets to bring new life to the project as a Cat 1 3 point setup.  I went looking through my metal selection and found enough parts to re-purpose into the brackets and tabs for the 3 point.  

Lower link tabs were pieces of a DMI field cultivator originally.  I had to cut them down to match.  There are two holes so I have some adjustment of where my link go. D6F7D397-574E-4A8C-92CC-0823BC21E3FF_zps

Pins are pointed in to gain the neccessary clearence for the units.  I am shooting for 30" rows and things will be close because of the width of the lower links.5508853C-F06B-482B-9233-7B232595CE46_zps

Top view showing where the units will mount.ABD57E8C-9E04-4EB4-8536-E5D2438DF810_zps

Side view with one unit bolted up to check clearence.  0A0D8AEF-69DD-4614-9AEF-0E16E5B298BC_zps

Last night I had a chance to get back into the shop for a couple hours.  Worked on the top link mount.  I think the steel is a little bit of overkill but it is what I had.  

905E2D7D-BCC0-4489-826F-4BB458E2D3C6_zps

I drilled two sets of holes for adjustment in this part as well.  That part took a while since each piece is 1.5" thick and they had to line up.

CA61A4E5-708C-4EFE-9AA0-339B23CDD7F3_zps

CDAA8188-E144-498A-9F3D-353F99D9292F_zps

After that I removed the orange paint and bevelled the edges to get things ready to weld.  That is my plan for tonight.  If all goes well, things will get a coat of paint tonight or tomorrow some time.  

Finished the toolbar portion tonight. Some pics.  Currently has 1 coat of primer on it.  

E24A191E-57BD-49D4-873A-A025576F1926_zps

7FB41844-5014-4554-9EFB-E04DFA3C046E_zps

Second pin is for adjustment if necessary. Holes are 2" apart on center.  

03CBFD3A-DB3B-4110-A951-768F15531120_zps

You do some good manufacturing work !   Here, I thought you were "Just" a ELITE academic field researcher :lol:

Love those buckets , the cleaned bolts look like new from here.  ( from your previous early posts)

That planter appears to be suited to the 140 very well.  With the three point you have so much more adjustment.  I planted cotton for many years with a Farmall 400  and a 184 four row planter  fast hitch . Did a fine job but sometimes that fast hitch was just little limiting.

Back in the 70-80's with that many planter plates that you got with the buckets, You would of been a rich man, at least out here.

IMHO , the I,H, 186 planter was the best for a very long time and it had buckets like those.

Looking forward  to seeing pictures of the 140 - planter duo , planting.

Tony

P.S.  look in on MTO occasionally because it appears he turned ORANGE after parting with the 140. He may need Therapy or Medicine.:o

Nice looking rig. 

Back in the day we had an 8 row IH corn planter for many many years. Don't remember the number. Units looked pretty much the same as yours but it had galvanized round metal buckets and seemed like the press wheel had tractor tire type tread. 

Seed companies used to just give you the plates if you bought their seed. Than one day they stopped doing that and started charging you for them. 

I agree with Tony about those bolts looking new. I need to get me a tumbler.  I've been using a wire wheel on bench grinder. Every once in a while I catch it wrong and shoot it across the shop. Keeps things exciting. 

Thanks for sharing all the pics. 

Keep up the good work 

46 minutes ago, 65806 said:

Thanks for sharing all the pics. 

Keep up the good work 

Thank you for the kind words. The tumbler works well for small things. It is the type used to clean brass for reloading. If you get one, buy walnut hull tumbling media. The corn cob type breaks down in about 6 hrs and the walnut hulls will last for days of run time. I still clean larger parts on a 2hp bench grinder with a knotted wire wheel. Never forget safety glasses using one of those.

A member here sent me some seed plates when I first built the planter but I'm always on the lookout for a few specific ones for sweetcorn and popcorn. The boxes were options in their day along with the type of press wheel tread. I like the round boxes for my small time use vs the rectangular ones. They are easier to see into and clean out by hand. 

From the operators manual

7AC95590-0D91-4CCE-8D71-9AD9A4126DB6_zps

1 hour ago, tony in ca. said:

You do some good manufacturing work !   Here, I thought you were "Just" a ELITE academic field researcher :lol:

Back in the 70-80's with that many planter plates that you got with the buckets, You would of been a rich man, at least out here.

Looking forward  to seeing pictures of the 140 - planter duo , planting.

Tony

P.S.  look in on MTO occasionally because it appears he turned ORANGE after parting with the 140. He may need Therapy or Medicine.:o

Thanks Tony. Dont know if I've ever been called Elite or Academic....:)  I have to work like everyone else but what you see in these pictures is what I really like and enjoy doing. Ever since I was a little kid I have enjoyed building things and I guess I never grew out of it. 

The planter boxes and plates came from a CL posting that a buddy sent me. I went to see the seller and left with a truck load of boxes and plates for what I considered to be pennies on the dollar. 

MTO is a big boy and still has his Super A. We do check in and joke around.  I had no idea that I was paying money for the purchase of contraband like that though...  sigh.....I'm sure he will be ok, after all, he already admitted to the group that he has a problem (orange one) and that is the first step to recovery. ;)

The paint got dry finally. 

07486AC0-F98A-4ECB-BF40-7F0FF976D6F7_zps

41413D75-4AC2-463C-A350-EE40F02341B1_zps

1F885FF0-6D57-4053-8FB7-5BCFC4B10599_zps

8ECABB82-DDB8-47D4-8E44-F2BA0BD5EDB0_zps

I left the lids off on purpose. It will take a little fine tuning when the time comes but everything turns fine and I think it will work better than it ever has.  I couldn't quite get 30" because of where the bottom links needed to be. It sits about 32" when it's moved in all the way but that will work fine for me. 

Sorry to high jack, but are those planter units reasonable to buy?  I am trying to find some to build a planter, and I don't want to buy new green ones

26 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

Sorry to high jack, but are those planter units reasonable to buy?  I am trying to find some to build a planter, and I don't want to buy new green ones

PM sent

I set it down late yesterday afternoon and let it run across the ground a little bit.  I think all it needs is a little grease and some chain lube and it should be ready to plant corn.  

• 2 weeks later...