Fast Hitch Planter build

I have been thinking about building a fast hitch planter for a long time. A year ago I purchased a 463 cultivator to save it from the scrap yard and gain a set of FH points. That put the ball in motion as I started to look for the rest of the parts I would need for the planter. Last summer I found a guy about 5 miles away with a bunch of 295 planter units on an old bean planter and was able to buy 3 units from him (1 for parts and 2 for use). The FH points were setup to hold a 4.5" toolbar. The planter units were setup for a 2.5" toolbar. Another obstacle is that fast hitch prongs are close to 30" apart putting them right in the way of the planter units. That means a double toolbar.

I started with the prongs from the cultivator and a piece of AC toolbar that was the correct size left over from another project. The FH on the tractor was lowered until the bar was at a 45* angle making the center line of the toolbar perpendicular to the floor.

21D7C4F4-1FD1-4FA9-AEFF-BD1CA300853B_zps

I decided to basically build a small 3pt to give me the ability to level the second toolbar/units. The center point is a category 1 top link I had laying around.

BEB4FAC4-0708-4DBF-816B-BE86C920402B_zps

It was fastened with tabs that were notched and welded to both toolbars.

08FA94D1-375B-4A06-99D2-11D30828F795_zps

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to keep them at 45* for all the welding so things will line up.

F7A7675B-C012-4CC7-8A91-1AEF4C756994_zps

Next came the outer links. I used some thick bar stock that I already had and drilled it for cat 1 pins. That matched up to longer pieces of bar stock and was cut at a 45* on one end and welded to the larger tool bar.

64777829-1956-4167-8E7E-37B675C384D8_zps

F0CBCA24-3A3A-4304-A487-A0C98420D992_zps

The outer pins were welded on facing the same direction making the smaller 2.5" toolbar removable.

361A1702-EDD8-4DEB-9B70-02BE5E1FC035_zps

With one unit bolted on.

869B4DF7-3EA5-429C-857C-D8B6E2D6BD78_zps

With both units bolted on. I have hopper lids and drive chain covers. The covers are cleaned and painted 935 white. I have a few plates thanks to a member here that sent me a few choices to work with. There is one left drive and one right drive keeping the drive chains facing out for ease of maintenance.

E2BB5E91-F6D8-46A4-AF75-18B96B9541EE_zps

Up next will be to clean up the units, paint some of the pieces, and build stands for the sides so it will stand up on its own when not in use.

A couple AC no till openers or a fertilizer set up on the front bar would eliminate the need to build stands to set the planter on and serve to make it a more versatile planter. cb

That is a great idea but the FH is in the wrong place for anything to be mounted to the front toolbar that is set for in furrow be it no-till coulters or fertilizer. I actually have a Gandy box setup I had contemplated mounting for some granular fertilizer but that might complicate things to much. This will just be used for sweet corn and some food plots that will be in worked areas anyhow.

Thank you for sharing. I have a couple FH toolbars that I've kept around for a projects like this. I already used one on a Herd seeder.

A couple AC no till openers or a fertilizer set up on the front bar would eliminate the need to build stands to set the planter on and serve to make it a more versatile planter. cb

Wonder if you could use AC notill units with the down pressure locked in on the fast hitch?

I was back out in the shop last night after work looking at the planter. The next thing I knew it was coming apart. I took a couple pics to remind me of where the chain runs (before I saw the routing pattern in the manual). The chain routing is different for the left drive than the right drive. I found that to be interesting. The book clearly shows it as well. My plan is to clean up and/or paint most of the pieces. I will replace the few bearings and hopefully have it in good working order by spring. This may take a while since paint dries so slowly in the cold and the old torpedo heater doesn't keep things at 75* :)

Right hand drive unit

0A774CF0-8547-456E-95E1-4B3E612179B0_zps

FF27777A-061A-40CF-AF22-C704967E30A7_zps

This is half of the closing wheel and the backing plate. They both had a little bit of pitting but nothing too bad considering where they came from sitting in the dirt for years. Hopefully the self-stching primer seals that up. I have had good luck with it in aerosol form in the past on parts like this.

716FFEA5-72B7-4B8D-BB05-514CF67EEA16_zps

I have also been on the lookout for the correct decals that were on the chain covers. The original decal covered a 12"x2" area and INTERNATIONAL in black letters. Any ideas?

COOL PROJECT!!!! Was a FH planter never made by IH or did you just want to make one yourself?

Yes, there were FH planters made but I have never seen one with disc openers. Most of the ones I have seen were for a single prong FH like some of the Cub/A/140 type tractors had as an option. The 295 units started in 1969 from the best I can tell in the online parts catalog.

Thanks for the info Sledge. I see in the background your Scout is without the new rear bumper you fabbed up, so you must of had a wild hair up your a$$ and went to building all sorts of things, or the wife left you alone long enough to have some fun in the garage.

Some that know me would argue that I normally have a wild hair about some sort of project. The bumper is in the corner and the Scout is getting a new floor from front to back. The wife was grading papers in the house so I snuck out for a while ?

Here are the chain covers all painted with 935 white. They are fiberglass so I cleaned them up really well before primer/paint.

85F36292-004F-4359-869F-307FEAC7B266_zps

Neat project! I know you said that fertilizer coulters wouldn't work on the front bar because of the FH, but might it work if you did 2" off row center to do 2x2"? Just a thought. We like to put plenty of fertilizer next to the row for sweetcorn.

Here's my redneck paint rack. It isn't pretty but it works.

859FA419-DE38-400E-8243-69F36F5B9FBD_zps

Hey it seems to work well! You should see what my painter uses, Its a combination of Mexican Portuguese Redneck and redneck rednecks all rolled into one and it works better than up town. Ask Danny he visited "THE PAINT SHED" lol Tony

Paint is drying slowly in the cold

029E6B10-5460-401B-A24C-6CD8052F1DF4_zps

• 2 months later...

This project has seen a back seat lately. I thought since things were warming up and I wanted to use it soon that I had better get with it. The other half of the press wheel got painted this week and in between other projects I got the wheel put back together. It won't all have new paint yet but should be functional when I finish.

13E93EA4-0784-4A10-BE65-395FE07BB2F3_zps

• 4 weeks later...

I think I am about done with the planter now and it's about time. It has been too wet to plant at work so I spent yesterday working on the planter. I made a stand for it when not attached and finished cleaning up the hoppers and associated parts. It got new bearings for the closin wheels and I even fixed a couple weak spots in a hopper with some fiberglass resin. FBC3BA6E-4276-4CFF-ADD1-FCC2C397AD97_zps

FBB9F230-F95A-4AA4-93D2-28C9A83B55DE_zps