Started My 806 L.P. restoration

On 7/1/2017 at 5:14 PM, tony in ca. said:

Couple pic's of the linkage apparatus.

We had to do quite a bit of repairs , re- makes ,most of the pins & all the hitch pins ,and machining on holes.  I exhausted all my leads there is no parts available.

If you go back to page 19 - 21 there are pictures of the linkage before repairs  and further along pics of the machine work.

Tony

IMG_4712.JPG

IMG_4713.JPG

IHOutlaw on here is re-making a lot of quick hitch parts. Wish I would have known you were on the hunt before now.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:06 AM, SMiller said:

IHOutlaw on here is re-making a lot of quick hitch parts. Wish I would have known you were on the hunt before now.

Thanks for the heads up .

I met him at Des Moines but did not know he did parts for Q.H's .

He would be the one to do it for sure. Has a lot of expertize  in them.

Tony

8/9/17,

Tractor therapy Wed today.  

We did odds & ends in prep for engine coming soon from M.Shop.

Last week they asked for head & valve train and all rolling mass . They are going to re-balance

Its been bored 30 over and pistons are ordered , They told my that they wanted to go through head again and I said fine all take valve train and you give me a long block when done.  They agreed and he emphasized that they are going to be mic- ing everything and double checking all specs. 

That tells me a lot that they want double check specs .

Here is to keeping fingers crossed that we will have an engine ready for install after I get back from Rantoul.

Tony 

16 hours ago, tony in ca. said:

8/9/17,

Tractor therapy Wed today.  

We did odds & ends in prep for engine coming soon from M.Shop.

Last week they asked for head & valve train and all rolling mass . They are going to re-balance

Its been bored 30 over and pistons are ordered , They told my that they wanted to go through head again and I said fine all take valve train and you give me a long block when done.  They agreed and he emphasized that they are going to be mic- ing everything and double checking all specs. 

That tells me a lot that they want double check specs .

Here is to keeping fingers crossed that we will have an engine ready for install after I get back from Rantoul.

Tony 

Have them record their measurements. When I overhauled a JD engine for a neighbor I measured pretty much everything and recorded it and had the spec written at the top of each column. When they came back because of an oil consumption issue I knew right away that it wasn't a fitment issue on my end. Turns out they never worked the tractor to seat the piston rings.

3 hours ago, BOBSIH856 said:

Have them record their measurements. When I overhauled a JD engine for a neighbor I measured pretty much everything and recorded it and had the spec written at the top of each column. When they came back because of an oil consumption issue I knew right away that it wasn't a fitment issue on my end. Turns out they never worked the tractor to seat the piston rings.

Great idea . Will do.

Tony

• 1 month later...

Wells guys , I returned engine to Machine shop Just before I left for RPRU in Des Moines, in June.

Today, I approached owner of machine shop and asked how long he thought was appropriate for me to wait to get my engine re done ,:angry:

He and tech promised me that He would start assembly tomorrow and I should be able to pick it up Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Everything is done all parts are there and they just got rolling mass back from being re balanced.

Today being Tractor Therapy Wed. WE attached buggy umbrella to our home made stands and even though there is no engine , WE have shade and operator comfort , How is that for optimism.?:lol:

Umbrella came with the usual convoluted generic stands but we never used them, in the day, we made our own sturdy stands and when I received this girl from Texas she had owner made buggy stands on her also.  So, to stay with the," Cal-Tex. Cotton girl" theme. we made our own version, No fender holes allowed.

Few pics,

Tony

IMG_5199.JPG

IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_5202.JPG

10 minutes ago, BOBSIH856 said:

Do they hold up pretty good going down the road?

Yes, if you mean road gear tractor travel. However , if you are trailering tractor , I would collapse it tilt back and tie together.

That is why we went to all buggies in old days . These were left on year round ,were sturdy did not get crazy in wind . The old originals we used were tougher built IMHO.

WE left them year round because in fall of year we put the heat houser on and it made it pretty cozy and stood up to the elements , at least out her in Cali..

Tony

2 hours ago, tony in ca. said:

That is why we went to all buggies in old days . These were left on year round ,were sturdy did not get crazy in wind . The old originals we used were tougher built IMHO.

WE left them year round because in fall of year we put the heat houser on and it made it pretty cozy and stood up to the elements , at least out her in Cali..

Tony

They used to do the same thing here in west Texas. Sometimes Dad would pick up a piece of cotton bale wrap (made out of burlap or "jute") and wire it across the back of the heat houser to help hold some of heat in.

OH Happy Days !

Finally have an engine back. 

I took it in on 6/8/17 and received it today 9/26/17 12 days short of FOUR MONTHS !

I decided to bore 30 over instead of going back to standard as it was first go-around.  Crank was redone at 30 over.

They went back over head , Rocker arms , lifters,  and re-balanced .

One thing I did not care for is that they are using Reliance again. 

We had big conversation about this but being the were standing behind their work , They said Reliance is our aftermarket supplier for everything.

This time they built engine and everything was Mic'ed before installed. 

I picked it up without invoice ,He said I need time to figure fair part of your invoice.

We'll see !

Couple Pic's of  engine it just seems so long and I've been so depressed looking at that 806 in pieces.  Now we can move forward!

Tony

IMG_5204.JPG

IMG_5207.JPG

IMG_5205.JPG

Tractor Therapy Thursday today.

Bob & I got the engine stab in and ready to move on.

Its great to be back on track and moving forward.

Few Pic's

Tony

IMG_5208.JPG

IMG_5209.JPG

IMG_5210.JPG

IMG_5211.JPG

Thank You Gentlemen ! I can't wait to hear that motor sound like it should.

If not,I am going to sell the whole darn thing to Ryan Peters. He made one run and enjoys funny gas  engines.:lol: and really needs another 301 806.B)

Tony

On 9/29/2017 at 11:15 PM, tony in ca. said:

If not,I am going to sell the whole darn thing to Ryan Peters. He made one run and enjoys funny gas  engines.:lol: and really needs another 301 806.B)

Tony

Maybe he would trade you even up? :P

Gentlemen & Ladies ,

We had fire in the hole today ! Bob and I got the 806 running today !

No knock but I am still not satisfied with the engine performance .  We ran out of time today and I will run her out in next few days to break her in.

I had a M&W governor rebuilt for her, but I am not impressed, so going back to stock.

Bob Is going on a family vacation for two weeks , then we'll get her on Dyno and see what we have.

Few pic's of today doing our PSI pre oiling.  Had some videos but they did not download.

Tony

IMG_5231.JPG

IMG_5232.JPG

IMG_5233.JPG