Started My 806 L.P. restoration

Tractor Therapy Wed . 5/3/17.

Bob & I took the day off today. My Butt is dragging from the CAFES show this past weekend .

We started last Tues . with the photo shoot then began hauling 10 tractors  three plows , two mowers to Tulare a hour and half trip one way .

Two goose necks and my BIL took the two heavies with his Perterbuilt.

Sorry I was so busy as Vice Chairman this year I forgot to get many pictures . Although , Some of my family posted some on F.B. Also a friend Nick DeMartin posted a video  of the 1468 pulling in the pull what you brung pull.

Just got the old girls home and tucked away yesterday, Today we started cleaning them.

Next year I'll be Chairman  and I think I'll have 12 to take so we will start week before get them staged and have someone manage the tractors and my drivers for parade , so I can concentrate on the show and put out fires.

I did manage to find a set of top cultivator brackets for 806 ,they are at painter along with the quick hitches & the umbrella brackets etc.

As for quick hitches they are machined repaired , new pins ,etc made and been Cermikoted  . What you see there coated  is enough for two complete Cat 3 hitches. Just waiting on painter and Q.H's will be done.

Have few pic's of show & Q.H. pins . Also have pic of original muffler that I salvaged from trash barrel and Cermikoted it back , I have not pushed it down all the way just have it there for lookie see and waiting on black weather cap & clamp  . I'll post a pic of  both mufflers and you guys vote Silver aftermarket with off sound or used original black with better sound ?

My granddaughter was ready to drive her 300U , My 560 on Sal's gooseneck .It has a fast hitch #100 Balanced head mower attached.

Sorry for the OFF COLOR , I saw this 3010 orchard come in and it was the only one I've ever seen of that vintage with full armor He did a very nice job.

Tony

IMG_4173.JPG

IMG_4174.JPG

IMG_4145.JPG

IMG_4110.JPG

IMG_4175.JPG

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4172.JPG

IMG_4166.JPG

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

Beautiful pictures Tony! That 3010 sure does look nice, even if it's green!

Sorry guys ,Tractor therapy Wed was canceled on May 10th /17

Due to Sinus infection and the boss man just plain feeling like crap .:( The only therapy working today is the "Antibiotic" therapy:lol:

Hopefully ,Next week we get 806 on dyno and David has the quick hitches painted so we can build them back up along with the umbrella brackets .:wub:

Guys been waxing the girls, being they came home pretty dusty from the dance at CAFES.

Tony

Tractor Therapy Wed 5/17/17

Well what started as a good  Day went down hill fast !

Remember I complained of slight valve sounding miss from first start which lead us to replacing the head because of slight moisture in oil.

Well since the head back on I still detected a slight miss . We put her on dyno for about 15 minutes and the miss got louder  & we could hear a corresponding light knock on the manifold side of engine. Shut her done did compression test all cylinders were running 175 or very close . So back together and on with dyno miss got louder & noise louder. we idled it pulled wires one at a time & #5 when unplug wire the miss was calmer & noise stopped , put wire back noise & miss back up.

WE shut down & dropped the pan . The oil is gritty & a film of what looks like dirt at bottom of pan. Put magnet in it nothing sticks . Oil is I.H. 30 wt low ash and its been changed at least five times since we started this engine do to water contamination.

Dropped Rod bearings & mains and every one is wiped shinny not groves but outter film gone . Plenty of oil on them. Thrust sides have no marks.

What the **** went wrong?

Next week we will try to strip engine down ,remove and back to machine shop.

I may have taken some pics but feeling pretty dejected right now .  Starting to get real sick of this old girl, right fast.

Any ideas on the bearings ? We did use build grease. Only thing I can figure is bearings to tight . However , engine turned by hand pretty easy.  Crank was turned .010 & bearings have I.H. #'s & state .010

We skimped on nothing . Machine shop bill was 7500.00 for all done & parts. So it was not a piece meal project.

Tony

IMG_4220.JPG

IMG_4222.JPG

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4224.JPG

5 minutes ago, 65806 said:

In my experience bearings shine up pretty quick. If they are smooth and even it might be normal. 

As far as the miss. Could you just have an exhaust gasket leak causing your noise?

When we pulled her down on dyno all **** broke loose the miss & noise was all one. The louder the noise the more pronounced the miss.  Wasn't really the classic knock but we did not let it get to that it only has 1.5 hrs. running time on new engine

Checked gaskets, muffler, timing ,wires . to no avail.

Tony

Boy I really wish I could come over and hear it. 

Did you put vacuum gauge on it?  Maybe it has a vacuum leak on intake gasket by that #5 cylinder causing it to run lean and pre ignite. That could cause noise and miss and get worse the harder it's pulled. 

:(:(  :(

I think you have an issue with #5 valve timing. Could be a bad cam lobe, scored lifter bore and/or lifter, bent push rod (check them all for same length), broken valve spring or keeper, or possible faulty distributor cap. Best luck on the investigation. This does suck after all you have done this one to ensure a proper professional rebuild.

How often does the machine shop clean their hot tank water? Like others have said check everything over to make sure it is within spec. Also take note as you tear down, maybe a pushrod wasn't sitting in the lifter properly.

14 hours ago, 65806 said:

In my experience bearings shine up pretty quick. If they are smooth and even it might be normal. 

As far as the miss. Could you just have an exhaust gasket leak causing your noise?

i dont think so tim

by the looks of yer rods and mains being shiny as in the pics, looks like insufficient oil and or clearances and the classic case of not prelubing the system before start up the evidence of the bearing material is layin in the pan

Well......what a deal.  I cant imagine how your gut must of felt when you heard that.  So are you thinking your "miss" was a slight knock?  Make sure you dont clean that pan so the shop can see it.

On a positive... you sinuses must be better and the black pie and shield look REALLY good.  After seeing Lorens 1066BS and yours I went out and got a can of black to paint my 1066 muffler. 

We are going to take that engine down with a magnifying glass.

All your thoughts and suggestions I appreciate . At this point we are trying to backtrack our actions before we get into it next week.

I suspect dirty oil ports do to machining or too tight bearings . those are the two things I don't remember double checking.  The engine build lube I remember helping Bob get it on. 

We had to have cam reground so there may be a problem there & the valve train was pretty bad so it was re-chromed tappets rebuilt.

Like I told Bob," better be it the engine with a big problem ,then US";)

This will be interesting diagnoses .  

We needed tractor therapy Wed. to continue , Only problem now is, I need rest of week therapy to get me though tractor therapy Wed.'s:lol:

Tony

Oh BTW, on a lighter note on pic above ,I think I am going to leave the black original muffler , However ,  I am going to Cermikote the shield & clamps black also. I think it will look cleaner .  EVEN IF IT DOES NOT RUN:(

15 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Well......what a deal.  I cant imagine how your gut must of felt when you heard that.  So are you thinking your "miss" was a slight knock?  Make sure you dont clean that pan so the shop can see it.

On a positive... you sinuses must be better and the black pie and shield look REALLY good.  After seeing Lorens 1066BS and yours I went out and got a can of black to paint my 1066 muffler. 

What ever it turns out to be , The miss had to do with the knock . I think perhaps the miss was talking to us and we kept scratching our heads then on hard pull on dyno it spoke loudly.

Yeah Sinuses are okay not perfect . 

As to black pipe I just mention above that I think it would look cleaner with shield & clamps black also . I am open to suggestions.  Of course if we ever get this engine to run right.

Tony

4 minutes ago, tony in ca. said:

What ever it turns out to be , The miss had to do with the knock . I think perhaps the miss was talking to us and we kept scratching our heads then on hard pull on dyno it spoke loudly.

Yeah Sinuses are okay not perfect . 

As to black pipe I just mention above that I think it would look cleaner with shield & clamps black also . I am open to suggestions.  Of course if we ever get this engine to run right.

Tony

Lets rearrange the deck chairs some.  I think...IMO....all black would be sharp.  You reall "do them up" with brushing and polish and the black kinda eases it down with out taking anything away.

Sorry about all the misfortune Tony.  She will no doubt be perfect when you are finished, it just won't be as soon as you (and we) want it to be.  The cermicote on the shield and clamps will be nice.  I like the black pipe on there also.