3 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Your detail is outstanding,  I tend to walk past the restorations that look like they were dipped in a tank of paint. 

I always check out the bad jobs. Reminds me what not to do and makes my sub par jobs look better.

jerry

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New hood ornament came chromed. Did add chrome hood bolts with a neoprene washer under the chrome washer to protect the paint.  I felt the hood bolts were an accent without being excessive. Just

Been a while since I have been able to get glitches out of my Computor network to let me be back. the 806 LP is ready for its first Prom Dance this weekend and my newly acquired 806D w/ bean cutt

I kinda liked the single headlight on the bean cutter. Gave it a unique look. 

Posted Images

12 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Your detail is outstanding,  I tend to walk past the restorations that look like they were dipped in a tank of paint. 

Thank you for the more then generous compliment.

However, let's not forget it would not fire last week , so, I am not feeling to confident  right now:o Does not help that the owner mixed a water line inlet with a vapor line inlet on the regulator and had water running into carb instead of propane. 

I told Bob I did that just to make sure fuel would come out when I hooked it up right.:lol: 

He did not smile!!!:(

tony

9 hours ago, SMOKER 1 said:

I always check out the bad jobs. Reminds me what not to do and makes my sub par jobs look better.

jerry

You know, at a show I love them all:wub: . My wife cannot understand why I have to look at the same tractors twice per day for three days.:blink: lol.

I always see in others what I could of done better or see something I did not know. :rolleyes:

On mine, I know where all the flaws are at.:ph34r:

Thanks guys,

Tony

Looking good Tony! Someday I wish to have that talent but for now I will be satisfied with just getting somebodys wreck goin again! I gotta new helper on the last one i/we got goin (farmall 656) didnt talk to the kid for ten years since high school one day we met up somewhere got to talking he come over to my place when I started the project helped me all along his grandpa (traveling tractor mechanic) use to come work on my grandpa tractors back in the day which is kinda neat! Then yesterday I mounted my grandpas 2000 model loader on that 656! Funny how tractors bring us together people not into tractors just dont understand! Keep on wrenching! Brian

2 hours ago, Gleaner k2 said:

Looking good Tony! Someday I wish to have that talent but for now I will be satisfied with just getting somebodys wreck goin again! I gotta new helper on the last one i/we got goin (farmall 656) didnt talk to the kid for ten years since high school one day we met up somewhere got to talking he come over to my place when I started the project helped me all along his grandpa (traveling tractor mechanic) use to come work on my grandpa tractors back in the day which is kinda neat! Then yesterday I mounted my grandpas 2000 model loader on that 656! Funny how tractors bring us together people not into tractors just dont understand! Keep on wrenching! Brian

Thank You Brian,

Yes, These old Red tractors bring back lot of memories ,connect us to special times in our lives, and most of all brings us in contact with great people through out the world.

I have met people, local and  2500 miles away,  Along with  France, New Zealand,  Australia , South Africa, that we work on staying in touch and either they have visited here or I have visited there or plan to visit.

Life's journey is amazing ,At pre 50 years old, I never dreamed I would be doing this and have 12 old tractors two dogs to care for .

Was too busy raising a family, Farming, and getting older.

Tony

Exhausted Tractor Therapy Wed 12/21/16.    Exhausted from being Santa last night on old tractor trailer ride. Bed at 1 AM this old guy is not use to that!

Great Day ! The 806 came to life! We found our problem from last week  ,The three screws that hold the mounting plate on distributor were loose and not grounding properly.

Few loose lines to contend with . Hydraulic pumps for three point lift and PTO picked up prime quickly . We had to prime the front pump to gain power steering, brakes & T.A. 

I have a video of starting but do not have procedure for downloading here.

Perhaps this weekend with my Grandson here, He can get it downloaded.

Have these pic's for now.  First,  we jerry rigged a regular gauge on to make sure of oil pressure , Don't trust idiot light,  I took it out down road and through gears , T.A. etc . all working as should.  First time driven into shop on its own. Last pic's she is running and Bob is shouting yeah!  He was worried on how many mistakes he may have made .  His mistake was leaving distributor screws loose & loosing ground and my big mistake last week was reversing water & vapor lines on L.P. regulator. lol.

Bob and I called it a day by 3pm went to check on sheet metal at painter Dave's then to see progress on the binder P.U.  We'll not be back in shop together till 1/4/17 or if my wife keeps my at Coast longer it may be 1/11/17

Merry Christmas to all my Red Power Family and wish you all a Healthy ,Prosperous New Year

Tony

P.S. I was able to post video of first start on my Facebook Timeline.

IMG_3673.JPG

IMG_3676.JPG

IMG_3677.JPG

Hey Tony!      Sure glad you got her fired up and going! I think I'm just almost as excited about it as you are. And I bet 'ol John A. was right there with you going through the gears on the test run.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!!    Guy

Tony, you can disregard the PM I sent. I was able to get the video from your Facebook page. 

Here it is for all to enjoy.

That's wonderfull tony

merry Christmas 

We replaced both hydraulic pumps 

rear pump picked prime imediately the Mcv pump we had to prime and is the whine you hear . All hydraulics are working great except for the whine

we still have many little things to tend to including rerunning valves and re tork head . She will have clam shell fenders and rear wheel wieghts

tony

Thank you all ! 

Merry Christmas and here is wishing for a happy , healthy , prosperous , New Year to all on this great forum!

Will be back either 4th or 11th of Jan/17 ready to put finishing touches.

tony

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year !

Tractor Thursday this week 1/5/17

Not a good day as far as the 806 is concerned.

When I heard first start I thought I heard a slight miss ,like a bad valve, Well, we thought lets run it ,get warmed up to operating temp and see what happens.

This morning after two weeks off, first thing ,we loosened pan drain to check for water , no water what so ever.  We then pulled valve cover ,was no sign of moisture on head,rockers or cover. .We re-torqued head all bolts were right on , We re checked tappets  two were little closer re -adjusted them .All looked good.

We fired her up and ran up to operating temp. I can detect slight miss ( Remember, I grew up with these and dealt with burnt valves so often that I can hear a bad valve a mile away) .

At operating temp miss never let up and we find steam type blow by coming from oil filler tube when we took dip stick out .

The head & engine was totally rebuilt by local very reputable machine shop . They said ,that head was not cracked and did the valves etc.

Very disappointed to say the least.  I think only solution is to pull head and see what's happening.   We checked timing, plugs , wires ,etc.

We ran a temp gun on plugs while running , The first three cylinders were cooler then the back three cylinders. Don't know what that means other then when we originally  removed head the first three cylinders looked rough compared to the back three.

Will keep you posted on what we find in meantime broken hearted .lol.

This is what she looked like when we pulled it last January of 16.

Tony

IMG_2311-001.JPG

I feel you pain!  I had that happen on a super m I restored 18 years ago. My machine shop missed a small crack. They redid it for me at no charge and felt so bad they also paid the paint shop bill to repaint it. I told them not necessary but they insisted. These guys are good and expensive but over the years they have done around 30 heads for us and only one time a foul up. They sent the head off to another shop to be welded and tractor runs out perfect today.  Wish you luck on this. After all that work, it can be a big letdown when something is not quite right. 

Jerry

Phooey . This is always a highlight of the week to see the progress of this beautiful red head