Started My 806 L.P. restoration

8 hours ago, SMOKER 1 said:

Top of the line!  Except for that old man's step.  Shame on you, not original.  LOL!

jerry

I agree Jerry, Darn, I turned 71 today:o ,the mind thinks its back in my twenties and thirties when I use to jump up and down from these things without thinking about it. :rolleyes:

However, the old bod says h*ll no you can't do that!:angry: and if I want to enjoy these things for a few more years I have to eat crow with old man steps:lol:

Thanks , for the kind words I respect your work in your collection and your input and your friendship.

Early in the posts you ask, "If I was going to remember where all those little pieces would go"  Well,  You see how slow we are moving, these old guys are having a time putting those pieces where they belong and making them work properly:wacko:  I keep assuring Bob , that this is good exercise  for our brain :huh:

Tony

19 hours ago, Chuck1225 said:

I've not commented on your threads before, Tony, purely because if my keyboard was in front of me, I'd cover it in drool and most likely short it out! That's top notch work you do, sir! In fact, I think you carved a new notch above the "top" spot!!

Thank You Sir, That's very king of you to say.

Hope not notch above , I just try to bring them back to my recollection of them when I was young and dying to drive them. lol

Older I.H.'s had lot of beauty under that factory red paint and I try to highlight some of them by buffing or highlighting them some way.

As for quality of work ,I'm fortunate to have met Bob when he still owned his tractor repair business and actually He was trained at the local I.H. dealer  (Linder equip) in 60's in his home town .  He retired in 2009 and I asked him if he would help me with my F-400 once a week ,He said yes ,and we have done ,400,SMTA,560,MM U, Super C , I300U and now 806.

There are no tractor painters to be found around here and I can smear paint but not spray paint . One of my employees said he had a friend simi -retired that worked on auto body & paint . One man show with a very limited facility but he makes up for it by pouring heart and soul into prep & paint. I do all the grunt work ,find ,chase, repair ,read , write the checks and together we have a team . One of my employees from ranch loves doing decals & detail so he makes the final look a little nicer.

So its a team effort we enjoy working together and its fun.

The not so fun part is realizing that at any given time if I needed to sell them I would probably get 10 cents on the dollar. lol.

I pray that I never have to sell them because we have poured our hearts into them . They are all special in some way.

As I have mention to Smoker#1 some time ago ,when I am too old to do anything anymore I plan to go out to shop after dinner with a cigar & a Glass of Red Wine and say Dam Bob and I did this in our 70's and we thought we were old then.   ( Joke with Cigar is that I smoked Cigars from age 19 to 46 . Doc told me I needed to quit ,which I did, have not touched one since 46 ,I'm 71 but I told him at 85 if Good Lord has been good to me I'm going back to enjoying a Cigar after dinner by then it should not make any difference):lol:

Gee , I got long winded but just saying I found three guys that enjoy doing this and they make me look good and a life long friend & neighbor who stops buy on Wed. and keeps us motivated and gives us a hand at times.   Blessed with good people around me.

Thanks,

Tony

10 hours ago, tony in ca. said:

The not so fun part is realizing that at any given time if I needed to sell them I would probably get 10 cents on the dollar. lol.

I pray that I never have to sell them because we have poured our hearts into them . They are all special in some way.

Tony, I to hope you never have to sell them, 

but if you ever do..........please let me know. The kids don't need to go to college.

17 hours ago, wendyoakscubs said:

Wow Tony, looking great! I look forward to your posts every week. Always make a note to check in the middle of the week to see how you are getting along. Keep up the good work!

Ryan

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 9:19 AM, AKwelder said:

Tony, I to hope you never have to sell them, 

but if you ever do..........please let me know. The kids don't need to go to college.

Thank You gentlemen, for your kind comments.   Humbled by your comments.

I enjoy sharing my enjoyment Hobby with this forum . If I can inspire or help a fellow I.H. aficionado then my effort is not lost.

Today , Was what I consider a milestone in a restoration , the day tires are mounted.

WE mounted new Firestone 18.4-38's Sat-II today , the front were installed shortly after engine for stability they are 11 L -15's Firestones.

Getting close to finish line.

Tomorrow, Bob & I will meet for Tractor Therapy Wednesday. Should be getting close for fluids.

Btw , to me the old tires which were 18.4-38's  look much wider & meatier then new ones and the rims are the same ,just powder coated. Tractor is still on jack stands in this pic.

Tony

IMG_3614.JPG

IMG_3615.JPG

IMG_3616.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

DSC01109.JPG

DSCN1136-001.JPG

DSCN1137.JPG

10 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

It sure has come a long way. Looks Superb!  Did you say it was going to get an umbrella or a buggy top?

Its getting a Buggy Type umbrella, If I can fit mounts on axels behind fenders.

I do not want the  mounts that umbrella comes with, Its a generic tube with mickey mouse mounting brackets, you get a lot of vibration along with lot of unsightly crap on axel.

My thoughts are to take light walled pipe ,weld it to a flat flange with two 3/4 " holes and use same U bolts as used on Fenders to mount it to axels ,then mount buggy canopy to it.

of course powder coat the whole thing RED. 

I have regular umbrella on my super C and did the same thing with mounting pipe ,it is so much more stable . Powder coated Red a person does not even realize it's there when not being used.

Tony

10 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

It sure has come a long way. Looks Superb!  Did you say it was going to get an umbrella or a buggy top?

Its getting a Buggy Type umbrella, If I can fit mounts on axels behind fenders.

I do not want the  mounts that umbrella comes with, Its a generic tube with mickey mouse mounting brackets, you get a lot of vibration along with lot of unsightly crap on axel.

My thoughts are to take light walled pipe ,weld it to a flat flange with two 3/4 " holes and use same U bolts as used on Fenders to mount it to axels ,then mount buggy canopy to it.

of course powder coat the whole thing RED. 

I have regular umbrella on my super C and did the same thing with mounting pipe ,it is so much more stable . Powder coated Red a person does not even realize it's there when not being used.

These were the ones on Her.

Tony

IMG_2566-001.JPG

Glad you decided on something different on the buggy top mounts. Never was too excited about those. I know where there is two pair of the IH mounting brackets are but not sure if the guy would sell or not. I'll see what I can find out if you want.  Guy

buggy%20top%20brackts_zpswviwkwbi.png

Hi Guys , Sorry for triple posts about umbrellas above ,don't know how that happened.

Great productive Tractor Therapy Wednesday today 12/7/16,  Did not forget Peril Harbor Day today.

So many line clamps , to figure out where they go ,  Seat is on , steering wheel, prepared all for deck ,  all clamps and pins on front axel .  Took The ten hole bracket that I put on 1456 for shows last season off and installed on 806 along with spacers , Using spacers to mount chain hooks on bottom for tie downs,  Painter Dave had 8 weights ready to set in .  I am in process of installing 12 hole painted bracket on 1456 . Have 12- 75 lbs weights with L openings  bought for 1456 but they are still in Iowa.

The other two side weights, he is doing his magic on so pin striper can out line the I.H.

We are very close ,Next wed. after few odds and ends in AM , Will add fluids and hope to fire her up in afternoon.  She is off jack stands and standing on her own . Stands are still behind axels but not under her.

BTW. Sunny Calif. has been pretty crispy last week or so, Had to run these two warmers most of day and one all day , to make shop bearable.

Tony

IMG_3617.JPG

IMG_3618.JPG

IMG_3619.JPG

IMG_3620.JPG

IMG_3621.JPG

IMG_3622.JPG

IMG_3623.JPG

IMG_3624.JPG

9 hours ago, SMOKER 1 said:

Tony. Really feel for you having to run those mini heaters. My furnace in the shop has been working pretty hard for the last couple days. Looking more like a tractor every week!

jerry

I figured you guys would get a kick out of us having to run heaters.  If you note there is a Black small porta cool on left of pic. and blue  cooler on right & one fan in the heater pic. and another BIG porta cool in middle of shop .  In summer we use all four.  Mostly  in winter we fire these two mini heaters till noon then run the propane one till go home time.

It was 32 in shop @  7.30 am  got to about 40 rest of day.  But Bob & I get working so fast and hard we start shedding our clothes by noon :lol: If you believe that I have Ocean Front property in Arizona.:rolleyes: then by 4pm we are dragging our butts and chilled, so diesel fire time:lol: this part is true!

35 high fog no sun & slight breeze gets pretty chilly for these old Cali. Dogs.

Tony

I've never posted, but have been following this thread for quite a while.  It's kinda like getting to the end of a good book - exciting but you don't want it to be over!  Great work Tony!

1 hour ago, MTO said:

And you swear that`s the same tractor Tony?  

It gets sweeter by the post. 

OMG! How did you figure that out ! :o

Well , If I knew how to photo shop ,but this old goat is not that advanced yet . B.J. has to get me right side up , more then once, just making these posts:wacko:

You know it got tough at times but at this point it is getting sweeter by the week.  Thank You , MTO

Tony

1 hour ago, cbcfly said:

I've never posted, but have been following this thread for quite a while.  It's kinda like getting to the end of a good book - exciting but you don't want it to be over!  Great work Tony!

My goodness, Thank You , for the Compliment.!

So good to have a new member on RPF . We need Red tractor aficionado's here the more the better.

You know , sometimes I post and wonder if I'm boring viewers , but I know how much I love seeing other people's projects and learn from it that I figure ,hopefully someone will get inspired to save a old tractor by reading post or get curious about the process.

The book still has a large chapter before done .  If we do bring her to life next Wed. ,We do not know how  many things will need to be redone :lol:  oil leaks ,etc.

Once running and everything working then have the final touches .  Have the tin work being painted along with lights ,fenders, grill screen will be I.H. white & grill will be red.

I have one set of split type rear weights painted  but need to get the second set to painter Dave.  He gets cantankerous with prep so these may take a while before painted.

Then decals & metal decals etc

I don't think the book will be finished before February.  

Then we have a 300U restored last spring that has a hydraulic problem & leak.  Which I'll post because others have had problems with Power steering & hydraulic valves & priority Valves. 

Then we have a Farmall 350 L.P. with a reverse loader that we want to spruce up . She is unique was brought to our attention 3 or 4 years ago by RPF member AKWELDER and I ended up buying it . Works perfect but needs a little TLC . I'll continue to post that when we start.

Then we have a 560 Gas that needs throttle jack shaft rebushed , To much play in throttle linkage & I have a M&W governor for it depending how good the M&W governor I put on the 806 works.  Wow never ending ,I feel myself getting tired & my wallet getting lighter. Lol.  But Fun.

Thank You,

Tony

DSC_1833-003.JPG

Tony, im getting excited to see the IH 806 LPG finished. It would be neat to see a set restored 706, 806, 756 and 856 LPGs all lined up. I think the 11L15s up front will give it a tougher look and stance. I assume they're 6 bolt hubs though. Always liked 11L15s on 8 bolt hubs. 

20160122_145127_zpsfle5205q.jpg
20151205_144732_zpsgam8bvfh.jpg

20150328_195222_zpsz8kxemhz.jpg
20150812_191214_zpsec0npmbi.jpg

Long Farms,

Thank You for the comments,  Love those pictures, You have some fine I.H. girls ,always enjoy seeing them .

Thanks for keeping us posted on Jim's 1456 restoration.

I agree on seeing 706,806,756,856 restored together . When you and Jim have your own I.H. show ,I'll bring mine to join in . I keep suggesting a Long & Hartmen I.H. show in TX because between you two guys you have lot of nice tractors and with neighbors adding to it you guys can have a h*ll of a show. lol. 

As for front rims & hubs on 806 . It had 6 holes originally.  When I purchased the donor axel, I bought it with 8 hole hubs .  My problem is that I searched high & low for the proper 8 hole I.H. rims  and could NOT find any good ones for sale.

I purchased these New from my local I.H. dealer 8x15 6 hole.   BUT , I do have 8 hole hubs and when I find a nice set of original I.H. 8 or 10  x 15 's I will snatch them .

Tony

12/14/16  Tractor therapy Wednesday. 

Not as exciting as I had anticipated but good ,all part of process.

We cinched up few things that needed finishing touches , Then filled crankcase with 30 wt . low ash. then onto rear & tranny 17 gallons of Hy- Tran , fill axel housings with 5 qrts. each Hy-Tran .  Six gallons of 50-50 Green Anti-freeze .  :wub:

Now ready to go , right?   Well water leak at Regulator:o , traced that down to my switching water line with a vapor line .  Bob undid my mistake .lol. So now drum roll was playing and ready to go ! Turns over but no spark. Spent two hours backtracking everything with Volt meter , checking grounds because of paint, etc , check new coil ,resister & no resister .

Finally everything checked out except for electronic ignition module.  Module hot and arching .  We are 12 Volt Neg.

So , off to get a new module and try again next week .  Robert my 13 yr old neighbor , Chris & Eddie ,& my wife was there to take video , which she did but I have to figure out how to down load them.

Few pictures . I even had my Santa's hat for the occasion but that party did not last long :(

Tony  

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3642.JPG

IMG_3643.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3648.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

So close,  sorry to hear about your complication, bat at least it seems to be something minor, lets hope to hear it fire before Christmas.   

Tony, did you end up buying insulting wrap for your exhaust pipe? If not I would check with your ceramicote guy and see what the emissivity and insulating properties of the ceramic coating are. A lot of OEMs are using ceramic coating on exhaust pipes because the high exhaust temperatures from the emissions system and the ceramic coating is less bulky than the arymid and foil shielding.  

10 hours ago, BOBSIH856 said:

Tony, did you end up buying insulting wrap for your exhaust pipe? If not I would check with your ceramicote guy and see what the emissivity and insulating properties of the ceramic coating are. A lot of OEMs are using ceramic coating on exhaust pipes because the high exhaust temperatures from the emissions system and the ceramic coating is less bulky than the arymid and foil shielding.  

BobsIH856,

I have some wrap here if needed , However, like you said above I do have manifold & curved pipe ceramic coated with exhaust temp in grey and the muffler & muffler shield is ceramic coated with chrome exhaust temp also . The heat shields above and between manifold are also ceramic grey .

So I am going with this if I see any signs of blistering on hood then I'll wrap.

Thanks for the input . I confirmed with them that this is what rod headers are coated in.

Tony