4 hours ago, SMOKER 1 said:

Tony. Yours is the old parts book and mine was a newer one and not IH. I would say yours is correct, although never seen one like it in person. 

Jerry

Jerry ,

Most of these were thrown away or burned out and rotted . I can vaguely picture it but nothing definite. I know mine is a bit long and after I get curved pipe swaged to fit muffler better and we get painted hood back and final install we'll see how it looks and may cut it shorter which I am leaning to.

I made a second set of all three shields incase we had to change things. I have a sales brochure at Painter Dave's that he uses as a guide that may show the shield.

Thanks for the questions ,It makes us all study things more closely and hopefully our discussions will be available here for future generations .

That's what this is all about, preserving I.H. heritage into future.  I am getting pretty long on the tooth you are lot shorter on the tooth:lol: but we need to get our experiences out there.;)

Tony

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New hood ornament came chromed. Did add chrome hood bolts with a neoprene washer under the chrome washer to protect the paint.  I felt the hood bolts were an accent without being excessive. Just

Been a while since I have been able to get glitches out of my Computor network to let me be back. the 806 LP is ready for its first Prom Dance this weekend and my newly acquired 806D w/ bean cutt

I kinda liked the single headlight on the bean cutter. Gave it a unique look. 

Posted Images

12 hours ago, imtorched said:

Number 35 is the angle bracket that I mentioned, it was mounted on top of the hood and the

t went around the pipe just below the muffler.

I wondered about that .  Mine has # 31 & 32 . I'll continue doing research till its done.

Thanks,

Tony

Guys!,

Had Conversation with Axial-Flow in Texas . He sent me the original template for muffler shield and I had a duplicate of mine made for Him . He said he put it on a NOS muffler he has for his 856 and it fits perfect.  So, back to the books we went  856 & 806 shield is same parts #  .HOWEVER , mufflers for 806 & 856 L.P.'s are different #'s  Well, that took me back to shop with tape measure.  My old muffler take off  was in trash its a original I.H. muffler .Measures 21" from top rib to bottom rib when I lay my new shield on it ,it fits perfect.  The new muffler I purchased for 806 L.P. is a after market even though looking at it, it looks the same, it measures 16" top rib to bottom rib. When I lay my shield on it ,it does not look right and shield  needs basically to be cut 4" shorter to accommodate  aftermarket muffler. I have tried getting NOS but as you can imagine its like finding a needle in hay stack.

Also another plus I found from this research is that I have a 856 air cleaner can . I wondered why I had inner & out with latch . There it is in 856 parts book, I consider that a big plus.

Jerry & imtorched , Thanks for questioning, I think we all learned to dig a little deeper.  We now have answers.

BTW. book does show Asbestos sleeve but I think I  would go to jail  if they caught me with asbestos out here .lol.!

Tony

Not sure what size pipe you used on your exhaust, this maybe a option.

Tony

Heatshield Products 240003 1-3/4" ID to 2-3/8" ID x 3' Long HP Hose Sleeve

Price: $35.97 Free Shipping for Prime Members

You can earn $1.07 in 3% back rewards with the Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card. Learn more

Only 15 left in stock (more on the way).

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Size: 1-3/4" x 3'
  • 1-1/2" x 3'
    $45.23 

•  
  • 1-3/4" x 3'
    $35.97 

•  
  • 1-3/4" x 100'
    $1,005.30 

• Continuous operating temperature of 1200 degree Fahrenheit, 2000 degree Fahrenheit intermittent
  • Capable of reducing up to 60 percentage of radiant heat
  • Helps to prevent vapor lock, protects wires from melting
  • Sleeving wall thickness is 1/16 inches

Very impressed with the Ramos Research Initiative for getting back to the original pieces that were on the tractor. Especially when not many people would have a clue what it originally looked like

48 minutes ago, bitty said:

Very impressed with the Ramos Research Initiative for getting back to the original pieces that were on the tractor. Especially when not many people would have a clue what it originally looked like

Thanks Bitty ,

Its part of the fun of posting here, it holds my feet to the fire . When I am finished it should pass inspection of any correct police around and if not I'll be able to explain why  and tell them RPF members inspected it:lol:.

Tony

3 hours ago, imtorched said:

Not sure what size pipe you used on your exhaust, this maybe a option.

Tony

Heatshield Products 240003 1-3/4" ID to 2-3/8" ID x 3' Long HP Hose Sleeve

Price: $35.97 Free Shipping for Prime Members

You can earn $1.07 in 3% back rewards with the Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card. Learn more

Only 15 left in stock (more on the way).

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Size: 1-3/4" x 3'
  • 1-1/2" x 3'
    $45.23 

•  
  • 1-3/4" x 3'
    $35.97 

•  
  • 1-3/4" x 100'
    $1,005.30 

• Continuous operating temperature of 1200 degree Fahrenheit, 2000 degree Fahrenheit intermittent
  • Capable of reducing up to 60 percentage of radiant heat
  • Helps to prevent vapor lock, protects wires from melting
  • Sleeving wall thickness is 1/16 inches

Thank You , I am going to check into that!

Tony

Tony, I remember another little item from when I had a 806 LP.  We had our local IH dealer put in a new short block and after they got it running it was put on the dyno and they adjusted the fuel screw on the carb. Its the big screw where the big line from the vaporizer comes into the carb. I think that was to adjust the air fuel mixture so it did run to rich or lean, if my memory serves me right. 

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 6:41 PM, imtorched said:

Tony, I remember another little item from when I had a 806 LP.  We had our local IH dealer put in a new short block and after they got it running it was put on the dyno and they adjusted the fuel screw on the carb. Its the big screw where the big line from the vaporizer comes into the carb. I think that was to adjust the air fuel mixture so it did run to rich or lean, if my memory serves me right. 

Thanks for information ,Very Helpful !

Thank You,

Tony

Hi guys ,

Tractor Therapy Wednesday 11/23/16  ,

Good accomplishments today . Finally all electrical has been identified and live to appropriate sites . Just need wait for lights painting , etc to hang wires etc.  Rear light works and Flasher actually flashes .

Made a bracket for horn mounted it and button works on dash .lol. Took bracket off for painting.

Timed engine , installed distributor ,plugs, wires .

Cut backup muffler heat shield to accommodate new muffler ,will Cerikrome it.  After all our research found the problem is the aftermarket muffler is 4 inches shorter the original . I cannot find a original  muffler. Took Curved exhaust extension off to take to muffler shop to have swaged to fit muffler correctly.  Hoods are off and headed to painter David's for painting.

Installed rear wheels. Will set tires at 38" center which was what we used in the day for cotton here in Cali. Its 30" today ,but we are reliving the good days.

Had a visit from Red Power Forum member handle; "ENMIM" at 3pm Bob and I visited and neighbor Eddie & son Chris stopped by to welcome him. As most RPF members very nice and interesting fella. Our visit was cut short because of Ethel's Accident. as was backing out to give him tour.

Being Thanksgiving tomorrow we knocked off at 3pm.

At 4pm I backed into Ethel my new stray dog who I have fallen in love with. All **** broke loose she looked pretty bad . Took her to Vet ,He took ex-rays nothing broken or dislocated ,no internal injuries , Lot of bruising & very sore. Doc. gave her Morphine shot and pain pills for next five days . This dog strayed in about a month 1/2  ago, she is young and very loving & gentle, for some reason, my heart went out to her . Had her spayed ,shots, chipped, etc . then found  out she is partially blind in right eye and hearing impaired in right hear. 

Darn, I never thought I would be so mushy for a dog ! lol. But I feel I need to care for Her.

She is resting comfortably in our patio in a bed and sleeping bag to keep her warm .

Great Day after all ! Happy thanksgiving to all !,  Few pic's

Tony

IMG_3554.JPG

IMG_3555.JPG

IMG_3556.JPG

IMG_3557.JPG

IMG_3558.JPG

IMG_3559.JPG

IMG_3560.JPG

Sorry to hear about Ethel and hope she heals up alright. Glad you finally got the muffler heat shield question more or less answered. And putting the width on "38 row centers is a great idea. But thinking back on it, I'd bet a dollar to a donut she came from the dealer on "40 centers. That was typical on the high ground of Texas back then.

Overall she sure is looking good.

3 hours ago, rcampbell said:

This is a beautiful project! I will be honest, I didn't know they made gas versions of tractors that are this size, I guess I just assumed they were all diesel.

Made a Gas  & L.P. version . Naturally the diesel was the Brute of them & most popular.

Tony

4 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Sorry to hear about Ethel and hope she heals up alright. Glad you finally got the muffler heat shield question more or less answered. And putting the width on "38 row centers is a great idea. But thinking back on it, I'd bet a dollar to a donut she came from the dealer on "40 centers. That was typical on the high ground of Texas back then.

Overall she sure is looking good.

Your right , it was on 40" centers but we are trying to straddle fence and make her a CAL.-TEX cotton tractor . lol. BTW, Twostepn , I already have the new buggy umbrella for her.

Will keep the old buggy umbrella axel mounts.   Calif. ,Texas cotton tractors need to have a buggy umbrella to be authentic .:lol:

Tony

Looking good Tony

Hope Ethel likes leftovers and heals fast

Any way to take two aftermarket mufflers and make into one the right length?  Good TIG welder in the area to weld two halves into one longer? Polish and send off to your chrome shop? Only trouble i could see would be the vertical seam maybe depnding if its a welded seam or a rolled and pinched seam.

1 hour ago, new guy said:

Any way to take two aftermarket mufflers and make into one the right length?  Good TIG welder in the area to weld two halves into one longer? Polish and send off to your chrome shop? Only trouble i could see would be the vertical seam maybe depnding if its a welded seam or a rolled and pinched seam.

I think the aftermarket looks authentic enough, Just cutting the shield four inches should do the trick. If not,would consider your thoughts but I hope I don't need to .

To me muffler on there don't look much different then original accept for the I.H. emblem.

Waiting for Ken Updike to come up with the originals like on older models. lol.

Thanks ,new guy,

Tony

IMG_3489.JPG

9 hours ago, new guy said:

If the guy writing the checks is happy it's all good!

Beautiful job on both projects!

Thanks for input ! Never know you plant an idea it may be used later.   Like" imtorched" posted about heat sleeve above ,I was not going to use one , but after thinking about it, I ordered head wrap from the sight he posted will be using it.

SO ,I always appreciate ideas,

Tony

Fellas,

As Tony stated, I stopped in there the other day for the nickle tour. It was not disappointing. Ya' know how some guys always claim, "looks better in pictures than it does in real life'? Let me tell you, Tony's stuff looks better in real life than it does in pictures and his stuff looks pretty darn good in pictures to begin with. To say the work it thorough, correct and clean is the understatement of 2016. All those that are thinking Tony is probably a heck of a nice guy will be glad to know that such is indeed the case.

Ethel the wonder dog is a sweet heart, she make a much better dog than she does wheel-chock though. That being said, I never saw the thing laying int he driveway, but I figured that since she layed back down on the driveway after we  backed up on her she is probably fine and good to hear she indeed was.

Thanks for the tour Tony. Do the rest of Redpower a favor and post pics of your other tractors (including the non-red ). Also, the almonds looks to be in tip top shape as well.

Regards,

Eldon

5 hours ago, ENMIM said:

Fellas,

As Tony stated, I stopped in there the other day for the nickle tour. It was not disappointing. Ya' know how some guys always claim, "looks better in pictures than it does in real life'? Let me tell you, Tony's stuff looks better in real life than it does in pictures and his stuff looks pretty darn good in pictures to begin with. To say the work it thorough, correct and clean is the understatement of 2016. All those that are thinking Tony is probably a heck of a nice guy will be glad to know that such is indeed the case.

Ethel the wonder dog is a sweet heart, she make a much better dog than she does wheel-chock though. That being said, I never saw the thing laying int he driveway, but I figured that since she layed back down on the driveway after we  backed up on her she is probably fine and good to hear she indeed was.

Thanks for the tour Tony. Do the rest of Redpower a favor and post pics of your other tractors (including the non-red ). Also, the almonds looks to be in tip top shape as well.

Regards,

Eldon

Thank You for the kind words Eldon,

It was a hurried tour and me backing over Ethel did not help . Please come back for more quality time . Thanks for coming by in the first place, also ,It was a pleasure meeting you.  In the hurried time we had, Eldon had to be in Bakersfield, Bob had to leave early for incoming family , I fail to get a picture of us. You have to come back for picture time. lol.

Ethel had ex-rays after you left and Doc said no breaks or internal injuries but very scrapped inner thigh and very sore & bruised hip.

He gave her morphine shot and sent her home with Tramadol pills dog strength & Tylenol super strength we give it to her by syringe in mouth.

She got lots of love yesterday thanksgiving and is chilling out on a nice bed and sleeping blanket in the patio .  She is pretty spacy on the Tramadol twice a day and mellow, laid back.

Doc. thinks she is sight & hearing impaired on her right side.  Bob & I noticed that in shop while I was using fork lift if she lays on left side she has trouble deciphering noises on right side . Doc, said much like a person with hearing aids, background noise hampers her hearing on right side.  BTW . She strayed in two months ago would not leave ,tried to find a home no luck. So had her spayed, Shots, Chipped, Then find out her disability and my bleeding heart wants to take care of her but I am not starting out real well.lol

Here she is this morning Chilling out. lol.  Doc. Thinks she's 7-9 months old. She likes Red tractors ,likes to hang in shop & pretty good mouser so far.

Tony

IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

When we discussed heat shields above , I said, I had a brochure at painter Dave's ,showing the muffler & heat shield.

Finally got it today. Here are the pictures.

Note, shield goes just above hood to about 3-4 inches below top rib of muffler. Held on with radiator type clamp on top and smaller one on bottom.

Mine will be equipped with clam shells as this one.

Got the curved exhaust pipe swaged to fit muffler correctly, today

Took the cut to size muffler heat shield for CermiChrome.,today

Weight bracket, spacers, weights , rear light , & miscl. Picked up from painter Dave.

Hopefully ,Bob & I will have wheels & rims ready for tires after Thurs. will work on seat , perhaps  floor deck secure hyd. lines, Finish clamps etc on front axel. Then be ready for Fluids and start. before Christmas.

Hoods are all back at David's for paint took a sample of I.H. white from panel on 1468 so Dave can match for 806 panels.

Tony

IMG_3588.JPG

IMG_3589.JPG

IMG_3590.JPG

The muffler shield in your picture is the first one that I can remember seeing that tall. I have a couple of 806 LP ads that show no muffler shield!!    lol    Maybe it was added or deleted depending on year model? 

This week was Happy tractor Therapy Thursday 12/1/16. I say happy Thursday because tomorrow Fri. the 2nd I will turn 71, So very happy to still be here doing Red Tractors!

We buttoned up Dash board , electrical is done with exception of head lights to get wires positioned correctly . Being these lights are on side of hood need to wait for hoods etc . so lights will be final install.

We finally received from CNH special propane fittings that are available no where else, including propane distributors.

Propane equip. is set & ready for start up.

Had curved pipe swaged and installed.

WE mounted rims and cinched rims and wheels at 38" centers ready for tires.  Thanks Eddie,  for a helping hand.

Safety switches are set and working, Just waiting on deck for final placing but we'll start it before installing deck to make sure no hydraulic leaks.

Horn bracket fit perfect and horn is loud.

We are hoping to start it by 12/21/16 before we knock off for Christmas and return 1/4/17.  Hoods and fenders will not be ready till January hoping to have her finished by Feb of 17 ,which will be 14 months instead of 17 months that I had predicted.

We have the Weight brackets & spacers done for suit case weights  , Dave is doing extra special on two outside weights and I'll have a Pinstriper paint and highlight the I.H.   Rear wheel weights I have two sets of split weights to go on each wheel. They still need painting.

BTW , Ethel is doing very well and enjoying all the pampering from me running over her right hip last Wed.  Mom's idea to have a sweater on Her and have her hang with us while watching  O'Rielly, Megan, & Shawn. lol. You can see what see thinks of them. lol.

Few pic's,  I tried to capture the flasher flashing ,I did a short video ,but do not know how to down load video's  .lol

Tony

IMG_3591.JPG

IMG_3592.JPG

IMG_3595.JPG

IMG_3596.JPG

IMG_3597.JPG

IMG_3598.JPG

IMG_3599.JPG

IMG_3600.JPG

IMG_3601.JPG