4 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Will something like acetone take the white lettering off?  

Will try it on other hose I have for 1456.

will let you know.

Tony

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New hood ornament came chromed. Did add chrome hood bolts with a neoprene washer under the chrome washer to protect the paint.  I felt the hood bolts were an accent without being excessive. Just

Been a while since I have been able to get glitches out of my Computor network to let me be back. the 806 LP is ready for its first Prom Dance this weekend and my newly acquired 806D w/ bean cutt

I kinda liked the single headlight on the bean cutter. Gave it a unique look. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, RichardDSalyer said:

I have had success with lacquer thinner.  I also have sprayed silicone on rubber which has removed the white lettering.

Thanks Guys, for heads up !

Tony

Post Election Day, tractor therapy Wed. 11/9/16

We completed exhaust, heat shields, L.P. Regulator, Carb. worked on wiring . Air cleaner complete , Short air filter , CNH sent me the wrong one.  Should finish Electronic distributor ,plugs , etc . next week .

We are now ready to fit hoods before painting. Holding breath on exhaust extension . We used old as a template but it was a cobbled  together flopping pipe .

I experimented with making a Battery decal to cover the legalese decal on battery.  I expanded on a I.H. decal ,dropped the small print on bottom and inserted Prestolite Batteries  font  using my memory and a 1965  parts brochure .

Last picture is decal on 1456 Battery.

Tony

IMG_3397.JPG

IMG_3398.JPG

IMG_3399.JPG

IMG_3400.JPG

IMG_3401.JPG

On your exhaust pipe you should've made the vertical leg a few inches longer than the samle part. Then when you assemble you can trim the pipe to the correct length. I like you post election therapy session.

On 11/5/2016 at 7:11 PM, tony in ca. said:

Will try it on other hose I have for 1456.

will let you know.

Tony

Leaving the lay line shows that your hose is rated for the application and if someone were to use it to get a replacement it too would be correct. Plus if the hose is a good quality brand it shows people that look at your tractors that you use only good quality parts.

4 hours ago, BOBSIH856 said:

On your exhaust pipe you should've made the vertical leg a few inches longer than the samle part. Then when you assemble you can trim the pipe to the correct length. I like you post election therapy session.

Bob ,

I was trying to be more disciplined then I usually am by measuring 10 times and cutting once .B)

I usually measure once and cut several times:lol:

You have a good point , and I think we did leave it little more just for safety but that was back in June so I have forgot.

Thanks for the comments,

Tony  

4 hours ago, BOBSIH856 said:

Leaving the lay line shows that your hose is rated for the application and if someone were to use it to get a replacement it too would be correct. Plus if the hose is a good quality brand it shows people that look at your tractors that you use only good quality parts.

You are right and on" workers" I sure appreciate seeing the brand and number.

IMHO , on a restoration I think all that white writing takes away from the cleanliness of the project. I think it looks richer to have it gone.

But I will keep you thoughts in mind and it may make me see it different . Never thought of your views.

Thanks,

Tony 

The original hose was embossed with the part # into the rubber coating.

There was no white lettering.

Try Brakleen as that will remove most paints and inks.

Good  therapy Wednesday, 11/16/16.

We  had to fit hoods to make sure everything fits and lines up before David will paint.

We then worked on wire harness trying to find power to all proper places .  Let me say out of 10 tractors restored I have bought from Brillman Electric , this time we bought from another supplier because Brillman did not have the L.P. template but this new supplier is very hard to figure out . I should of sent Brillman my old harness and let him make the best he could.  Just saying for any that need a recommendation.

We have my neighbor Eddie & Bob fitting hoods & exhaust as I just yell orders and take pictures . :lol: We had two visitors later in day that had us knock off a 3 pm to go look at pick up progress along with my other tractors at the shed mile and half away.

Don't know what I would do without neighbor Eddie's encouragement and enthusiasm and Bob's patients and expertize and the occasional visitor that makes us feel that its all worthwhile.

Few pictures .

Tony

IMG_3491.JPG

IMG_3494.JPG

IMG_3495.JPG

IMG_3496.JPG

IMG_3499.JPG

IMG_3500.JPG

IMG_3502.JPG

Top notch

11 hours ago, SMOKER 1 said:

Is that the correct muffler heat shield and where did you get it?  Mine on the 560 is wat smaller than yours. 

Jerry

Not sure ,Jerry, I was thinking it should be shorter then it is and I can cut it ,

However, An old template  was sent to me by a I.H. & L.P. enthusiast from TX .  So, I assumed it is right ,However, it looks longer and heavier then pictures I see.

Thank God ,I had that old template to a least get one made .  As we tweak this in final stage, as we move along we may cut it shorter . My main concern was fitting to muffler and fitting behind muffler and not hitting tank or hood which it is fine . The clamp holders are welded toward one end so we have ample opportunity to cut other end to make shorter. 

Wondering How many models had this type shield and were there different part #'s ?  Which I'll find out by looking in 560 ,,806, parts books.  I do not have a 706, 656 ,856 parts  books . I believe prior to that none had the shield and after that they pretty much discontinued L.P.

If anyone can help me with part # of different shields & pic's for 706,656,856 I would appreciate it.

Thanks , Jerry and T.I.A. to any help on this.

Tony

BTW , Jerry you asked where did I get it ? I used the old template from the TX member and had A Air /conditioning sheet metal shop copy the old one then had it Cerimikoted.

This damn forum won't let me load them tonight. I wish they would fix that for guys like me that can't make the picture programs work. I have no problems on other forums, just this one!  

I will send them to Brady boy and have him post them. This is factory NOS shield. And from what I can see it is the same one on the 06 tractors, too. 

Jerry

Looking awesome! Tony  

If I remember right the heat shield you have is just a bit longer then the one that was on our 806 by a couple inches. The heat shield for a 560 was only 6 to 8 inches since the tank was a lot smaller in diameter.

Also on our 806 the exhaust pipe from the manifold up to the hood there was an asbestos wrap. It was like a sock with the toes cut out and slipped over the pipe and held on with a hose clamps on the top and bottom.  

Mine had a kind of a angle iron bracket that bolted to the hood and had a u-bolt that went around the exhaust pipe.  I think I may see it setting between the tank and pipe but I'm not sure.

Tony

imtorched,

Welcome to the forum ,Glad to have a new member and I think you'll enjoy it here . There is lot of experience and knowledge here and we try to pass it on to younger guys.

Thank you for your input its very helpful . I had not much to go by ,all my heat shields were gone and the curved pipe was made out of galvanized water pipe and all loose . Note in pic Galvanized pipe into manifold was all stripped and wallowed . When I received tractor and drove it home from Ranch that exhaust pipe & muffler were happy pipes ,flopping from side to side. lol.

I received old templates from HELPFUL  FORUM  MEMBERS, (Thank You, "Axial Flow" for muffler shield & intake manifold shield & Devon's Tractor, for the long exhaust manifold shield & Steel Wheel Ranch for a used factory curved pipe to copy ) enough to have a sheet metal shop make new ones & muffler shop to make the curved one.

I have no 560 or 806 L.P.'s with proper shields near by to copy, so trying to work off parts book & memories.

As soon as we clamped shield to Muffler; Bob ,Eddie and I, said, "man that seems too big," but I said," clamp it, put in place lets see the fit then we can cut as needed."

As it is the curved pipe will need to be swaged wider to fit the muffler correctly even though I used a wider pipe then factory.

Pic's of my templates , and pipe as it was, Note the holders on the muffler shield,  far from bottom , so it can be cut to a pretty short length.

On new curved pipe, note the U bolt holder you spoke of . I made this pipe back in June forget the exact size but its larger diameter then size in parts book and even at that still need to swage the muffler end to fit tighter.

BTW as I posted in earlier post ; On The top exhaust manifold shield; I cut the end that went out to fan shroud ,it made no sense to me and was in way of lot of things . I try to be politically correct on everything but I think I.H. made a big mistake there and it detracts from the cleanliness. If someone can give my a good argument for it ,I have a extra set of shields just in case. lol.

Tony 

IMG_3343.JPG

DSC01109.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_3397.JPG

2 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

These are Jerry's pictures. He can explain any further. 

B6BC08E7-FC3D-434D-BA6B-E80D4064938F_zps

DBB7C5C2-6C3C-4D62-8940-82967A54103C_zps

These are new old stock shields. The parts book call for the same number on the 806. I don't know where they came from because they were on the tractor when I bought it. Notice that they are flat and not curved around the muffler. 

Thanks Sledge. Another reason why the people are great on this forum. Wouldn't it be cool if we could all set around the big table at the local coffee shop a couple times a week and tell tales in person?!?!?!?!

jerry

The pics of the 560 shield that is on Jerry's 560 is just like the original one on the '63 model 560 dad had. BUT......I have seen some ads for new 806's that had no shields at all.

IH heat shield clamp.JPG

Here is a pic of John A.'s 656LP. As you can see the muffler is not original and at the time we both agreed that the heat shield was not right either. BUT it did have a IH parts # and John said it had the hose clamps stamped with the IH logo, just like the clamps in the previous pic of the 560 shield.

IMAG0315_zps4cf0b524.jpg

Thanks You Guys! For pictures , and discussion , Very interesting !

I will do more research this weekend on part #'s  and if there were parts subbing to new #'s etc.

I vaguely remember the more rounded with hose clamps , Albeit, not as long as mine. Yet ,I can visualize Jerry's style. That 560 one, would be very simple to make.  I think we all agree the 656's does not look right as is but with correct muffler and cut the shield about a inch above top clamp and it would take a more original look.

I have one pic of 806 L.P. on a sales brochure but its at Painter Dave's ,I'll see what that shows if anything.

Yes ,Jerry the coffee shop table would be great , However , basically we have that here on forum bringing us all together ,only draw back, we DO NOT HAVE THE SASSY , (maybe Foxy) waitress bringing us the coffee ,darn it, I have to get up and go get it myself.

BTW ,that's why Brady boy, T Bone, Danny, I, and others try to have the all important" BOARDMEETINGs " after dinner during RPRU's

Thanks Guys,

Tony

P.S. Is the diameter of 560 muffler larger then the 806 muffler ? ,the 806 looks more slender and longer. That would change style of shield ?

Okay Fellas !

Did some research on muffler heat shields.

I have the manuals just had to get info together  .

The 806 L.P.muffler heat shield is part # 387855R11 in the I.H. 806 parts book.

The 560 L.P. muffler heat shield is part # 371674R11 in I,H, 560 parts book

Books show my shield to be correct albeit longer then in picture for 806 and Jerry's 560 shield to be correct for 560 not 806.

As I had mention in previous post was that there was room to be shortened . However , spoke to fella that gave me template and he said he had two old ones and the were both same size.   First pic is 806 parts book , second pic. is from 560 parts book.

Pictures included.

Tony

IMG_3545.JPG

IMG_3547.JPG

Number 35 is the angle bracket that I mentioned, it was mounted on top of the hood and the

1 hour ago, tony in ca. said:

Okay Fellas !

Did some research on muffler heat shields.

I have the manuals just had to get info together  .

The 806 L.P.muffler heat shield is part # 387855R11 in the I.H. 806 parts book.

The 560 L.P. muffler heat shield is part # 371674R11 in I,H, 560 parts book

Books show my shield to be correct albeit longer then in picture for 806 and Jerry's 560 shield to be correct for 560 not 806.

As I had mention in previous post was that there was room to be shortened . However , spoke to fella that gave me template and he said he had two old ones and the were both same size.

Pictures included.

Tony

IMG_3545.JPG

IMG_3547.JPG

t went around the pipe just below the muffler.