How far would you drive a 766?

gwoswald

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, barring any surprises or scheduling conflicts, I'm going to be picking up the 766 on Saturday and driving it home. It sounds like I may have to share some of the seat time with my wife, she thinks it'll be a fun trip. So we'll pack the warm cloths and make it a fun morning.

It looks like a pretty straight tractor. There are a couple photos from the ad at the following:

http://s724.photobucket.com/user/gregwoswald/library/Property%20Pics

Apparently there are around 5500 hours on it, but it recently had a rebuild (sleeves pistons at minimum) and got a new clutch and torque at that time.

I'll be doing some documenting of the trip, should be fun.

More to come, Thanks again,

Greg

No way to trailer it ? Neighbor nought a White 4wd in Oh seversl years ago. Drove it homr, aprrox 150 miles. After he got home he had to have the engine rebuilt, oil was pouring out of it everywhere.

Pretty nice looking 766. Also love the barn pics. LE

No way to trailer it ? Neighbor nought a White 4wd in Oh seversl years ago. Drove it homr, aprrox 150 miles. After he got home he had to have the engine rebuilt, oil was pouring out of it everywhere.

If the engine blew its cookies on the drive home, there was something very very wrong with it long before he bought the tractor. He found out the hard way why the tractor was for sale.

Field work is way way tougher on an engine than a road trip.

There is a driving story that goes with my 766 gasser. Story goes that the old boy that owned, his kids took his car away from him and he and his girl friend wanted to go to Florida for the winter. He picked up gf and sat her on the fender, hung suit cases on 3 pt and away they went. Kids finally caught up with them in Tennessee. They started out near Michigan city, Indiana. Got around 400 miles from home. I got the tractor now and it runs like a top. So I would say jump on it and drive away. You will no doubt see some beautiful country.

Jerry

In the 50 s and 60s some of the old timers would drive their tractors into town and sit in front of the bar. Wife's thought they were out working hard.

50's and 60's :unsure::unsure::unsure: :unsure:

There is a driving story that goes with my 766 gasser. Story goes that the old boy that owned, his kids took his car away from him and he and his girl friend wanted to go to Florida for the winter. He picked up gf and sat her on the fender, hung suit cases on 3 pt and away they went. Kids finally caught up with them in Tennessee. They started out near Michigan city, Indiana. Got around 400 miles from home. I got the tractor now and it runs like a top. So I would say jump on it and drive away. You will no doubt see some beautiful country.

Jerry

That is hilarious. There used to be a guy around here that had an AC (old one, not sure of the exact model) that had a wide bench on it. He and his wife would drive it to town. They didn't own a car. This was into the 80s. I bet he was in his later 70s. They'd get groceries and such. She'd be holding them on their way back. You'd see them once a month in town and I'd catch them driving by once they made it back. (we live 30 minutes outside of town).

Still, I'd have it trailered but I've got a friend with a trailer big enough to haul just about anything I'd buy if it doesn't fit on my own trailer. I'm always a little sketchy about tractors I'm not familiar with, particularly wheel bearings.

But you'd make it ok I think. Around here farm equipment is still common on the roads so a lot of leeway is given.

Jerry

That is hilarious. There used to be a guy around here that had an AC (old one, not sure of the exact model) that had a wide bench on it. He and his wife would drive it to town. They didn't own a car. This was into the 80s. I bet he was in his later 70s. They'd get groceries and such. She'd be holding them on their way back. You'd see them once a month in town and I'd catch them driving by once they made it back. (we live 30 minutes outside of town).

Still, I'd have it trailered but I've got a friend with a trailer big enough to haul just about anything I'd buy if it doesn't fit on my own trailer. I'm always a little sketchy about tractors I'm not familiar with, particularly wheel bearings.

But you'd make it ok I think. Around here farm equipment is still common on the roads so a lot of leeway is given.

An old guy in the town I grew up in drove to town on an H or a C, I don't remember which, and hung a big burlap bag on her to carry stuff in. Story was, he lost his license so drove the Farmall. One of those old boys that seemed to not quite have all his marbles, but you never know. Maybe he saw stuff in WWII that messed him up. Knew a few other guys like that.

Even with a muffler, you'll want ear plugs. My 766 is the loudest machine on the farm to operate.

I don't remember my 766 being very loud with the factory muffler. With a T04 and straight pipe, it talked pretty loud. What year is your seven, and does it still have the factory muffler?

BTW, when I farmed I was spread out a fair amount and did quite a bit of roading. 80 miles in road gear is nothing. As noted, maybe four hours, depending on how many towns you go through, and how often you pull over to let cars around.

Also, when you get back in a pickup, you'll think you're flying.

My 766 is a very late black stripe. It had a muffler on it when I bought it, but it wasn't a original IH muffler. It was very loud and annoying, so I went to my local CIH dealer and ordered a new muffler for it. I painted it with high temp flat black paint, and couldn't wait to put it on the tractor. But with great disappointment it was just as loud as the one that I took off. A good friend of mine also has a late 766, in fact it's three serial numbers newer than mine. His has an original IH muffler and it is a lot quieter than mine. But those 360's are just loud for some reason, even at an idle they are loud. That is my only complaint about my 766, but when I put my ear plugs in, that issue goes away.

Archived