How far would you drive a 766?

gwoswald

I have my eye on a nice looking 766. It's about 80 miles away, would be a non-divided highway trip. Would you consider driving it home? I'm not worried about my own comfort, but would that reck tires prematurely or cause any problems? Just don't have a truck and trailer available for a 10k# tractor, and would prefer to not hire it out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Greg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greg

I've driven my 766 that far on a single tractor drive. I've also driven my 2+2 farther than that to save the trouble and expense of hauling. They aren't bad on fuel or tires, 4 hours later and you'll be home.

GT&T

Drive it.

X2. I just drove my miniXcavator a mile plus. It goes 1.1 in low and 2.1 in high gear. Would have taken me longer to hook up our trailer and load and strap etc. I will be driving it hime again soon

I drove my 756 53 miles one way from the dealership to my house because I wanted to avoid the delivery charge and wanted to feel the wind in my face.

Bad thing is, I did this in Northern Virginia where traffic sucks. But I kept a smile on my face when they honked at me at the stoplights in 6 lanes of traffic.

I say go for it.

What an irony, the founder of the popular outdoor clothing company freezing to death. Go figure.

Once drove a combine 200+ miles at 15 mph. Shortly into the trip I realized: heck this is the most fun trip I've had in years! Backroads, slow, plenty of time to check out the stuff in every barnyard, clear view of every dead coon on the road... :rolleyes::lol: Just bundle up tight, wear a motorcycle helmet if its cold (even a face shield helps). 20 Mph at 50 deg gets COLD.

Drive it. Every tractor but one that dad ever bought was driven home. One 2+2 was about 120 miles away, one was 60. I drove a versatile and air seeser home for a guy, about 250 or more miles. Tires didn't wear too bad. Just grease everything up.

Well if everything works out, might be picking it up on Saturday. Light snow possible. In the 30s. Gonna get out the ice fishing coveralls and good idea with the motorcycle lid.

I'd be looking around for a heat houser....

Take pictures and post them. We want to share in the misery! :P

Wouldn't even think twice about it. I've pretty much settled on the fact my next tractor will come from Ohio/Indiana.200 miles to home. Nice all day drive. It really will amaze you how much ground you can cover at 20-30 mph.

I would take a good look at the seat first.

Drive on sir! Thank god its not a john deere of that era. Those ole binders really move on down the line.

Reminds me of Tom Sawer being punished by painting the fence.

If ya don't fancy driving some of us bunch of loons would pay for the chance

:D :D :D :D :D

Archived