Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

53IH4x4

1953 IH 4x4 Truck

I have just aquired this 1953 original factory built 4x4 and I would like to restore it back to it's original condition. Is there anyone else out there that has one of these and whould anyone know how many of them were built in 1953? Thanks - Roy

post-2397-1129260463.jpg

Hi Roy Welcome to the board!! This is a great place for anything IH. That's a neat lookin old truck, will be interesting to see your progress, do you have anymore specs on it? I don't know much about these but there are some other sites in the link part on the Red Power Magazine site. Click on the colored logo at the very top of this page & go to links in the selection bar. Keep us posted, Russ B)

Hey Russ, I do not have too much more specs on it, but I have a few pics I could share.... The truck looks like it has the twin lever Rockwell transfercase and the Dana/Spicer front end. The rear end looks to be the type that goes into a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. I think IH installed heavy duty axles on their 1/2 ton 4x4 trucks along with the six lug wheels. The dash still has the original 4- wheel drive shift instruction sticker on it. The doors open and shut like the truck was new (no rust). I do need to replace the front grille, hood, and windshield. The bed has seen it's better days, but that is pretty typical for these old trucks. -Roy

post-2397-1129344715.jpg

post-2397-1129344920.jpg

post-2397-1129344956.jpg

post-2397-1129345032.jpg

Roy, What a project. The Before pics are great. Can't wait to see the after photos. I am sure you are looking forward to it also. I do not have a great deal of knowledge on these, but I will try and find some info. How many lugs for the rims ? Are the axle diffs centered or offset? Does the transfer have a drum mounted E brake on drive shaft and does it have a place for a pto and if so, where at. Good luck. Thanks for the pics. Keep us updated.

In case its not on the links page, check here www.oldihc.org. Jere

Roy,  What a project. The Before pics are great. Can't wait to see the after photos.  I am sure you are looking forward to it also.  I do not have a great deal of knowledge on these, but I will try and find some info.  How many lugs for the rims ?  Are the axle diffs centered or offset? Does the transfer have a drum mounted E brake on drive shaft and does it have a place for a pto and if so, where at. Good luck. Thanks for the pics.  Keep us updated.

The wheels are 6 lug, I will have to crawl under the truck and check for a PTO attachment on the transfercase. -Roy

post-2397-1129433653.jpg

post-2397-1129433843.jpg

1953 was the first year IH built 4x4s, before that, any that you find were conversions, such as those done by Marmon Harrington. There were two models, the R-140 and R-160. This was an R-140, which was classified as a 1 1/4 ton model. I don't have any production numbers, but you can be sure they were pretty low and you're not likely to encounter another one that has been restored--although it could be out there.

1953 was the first year IH built 4x4s, before that, any that you find were conversions, such as those done by Marmon Harrington.  There were two models, the R-140 and R-160.  This was an R-140, which was classified as a 1 1/4 ton model.  I don't have any production numbers, but you can be sure they were pretty low and you're not likely to encounter another one that has been restored--although it could be out there.

Well, so far so good, all of the parts that are missing off this truck I can get from a 2wd parts truck. One thing I did notice though, is the oil cap has been missing and the engine has been exposed to the elements. It will be interesting to say the least, once that valve cover comes off. Does anyone know what the displacement is on the engine? It might be hard to tell by the pic, I can take more pics if nessesary. The Engine seems larger in size than my 235 straight six in my 58 3/4 ton Chevy Napco. - Roy

I think that should be an IH Silver Diamond Series 220 Cubic Inch engine. There was also a Silver Diamond 240, but it appears that didn't get used until the R-160 series. It may look larger than your Chev 235, but that's probably just the extra cast iron!

Do you have the line setting ticket for the truck?

It is your best proof of what you have.

If you don't have a line set ticket I would suggest you get one. It will answer a lot of questions down the road.

An easy way to tell what engine you have is to look at the line set ticket :-) or look at the bottom of the oil pan. It will read 220 or 240.

Line set ticket are available through the Scout Connection.

www.scoutconnection.com

Mike

Do you have the line setting ticket for the truck?

It is your best proof of what you have.

If you don't have a line set ticket I would suggest you get one.  It will answer a lot of questions down the road.

An easy way to tell what engine you have is to look at the line set ticket  :-) or look at the bottom of the oil pan.  It will read 220  or    240.

Line set ticket are available through the Scout Connection.

www.scoutconnection.com

Mike

Thanks Mike, I e-mailed Scout Connection today and asked them how to get a line set ticket. -Roy

post-2397-1129999033.jpg

1953 was the first year IH built 4x4s, before that, any that you find were conversions, such as those done by Marmon Harrington.  There were two models, the R-140 and R-160.  This was an R-140, which was classified as a 1 1/4 ton model.  I don't have any production numbers, but you can be sure they were pretty low and you're not likely to encounter another one that has been restored--although it could be out there.

What is the difference between a L series and R series? - Roy

post-2397-1130031953.jpg

Roy, you have L series front sheetmetal, 1949-52 mfg (could have been titled in 1953 while mfg in 1952). Check the data plate...My sources claim the first non-military production 4x4 appeared in 1954 as the R140. You could have a special order or converted L however. Never before seen a 4x4 L series, so you probably have L grill/header sheetmetal grafted onto a R series truck...not uncommon as it bolts right up. Very important at this juncture to get that line ticket as it will tell you everything you will need to be sure. Only problem will be if the data plate/title serial # came from another truck as the sheetmetal seems to have.

Roy, you have L series front sheetmetal, 1949-52 mfg (could have been titled in 1953 while mfg in 1952). Check the data plate...My sources claim the first non-military production 4x4 appeared in 1954 as the R140. You could have a special order or converted L however. Never before seen a 4x4 L series, so you probably have L grill/header sheetmetal grafted onto a R series truck...not uncommon as it bolts right up. Very important at this juncture to get that line ticket as it will tell you everything you will need to be sure. Only problem will be if the data plate/title serial # came from another truck as the sheetmetal seems to have.

The interesting thing about this truck is that the shifting instructions on the dash seems to be from the factory. The floor panel where the levers for the transfercase come through the floor seem factory also. The cab has the twin back windows. You can see the original red paint all around the truck to include the front grill area. At one time the truck was painted an olive drab (you can really see it on the dash) for some unknown reason. Did the R series trucks have the twin back windows? What year did the R series trucks go to a single lever transfercase shifter? This truck is a mystery! :blink: Looking forward to getting that line ticket for sure, - Roy

post-2397-1130119130.jpg

The interesting thing about this truck is that the shifting instructions on the dash seems to be from the factory. The floor panel where the levers for the transfercase come through the floor seem factory also. The cab has the twin back windows. You can see the original red paint all around the truck to include the front grill area. At one time the truck was painted an olive drab (you can really see it on the dash) for some unknown reason. Did the R series trucks have the twin back windows? What year did the R series trucks go to a single lever transfercase shifter? This truck is a mystery! :blink: Looking forward to getting that line ticket for sure, - Roy

If this truck is a R series, then it has to be a 1954 because of the two small rear windows. In 1955 the rear window was a single. So I think I narrowed it down to either a 1953 0r 1954 4x4, time will tell, thanks for all of your good info. If it is a 54, then I better start looking for a front clip and hood..... :unsure: - Roy