Farmall 400 Hydraulic pressure

66 Series Farmer

Had the 400 on my westfield auger this weekend and it will not lift the auger. It's a MX 8-61 swing hopper with the hydraulic lift. Its not really that heavy but it won't lift it up. Is there a pressure relief value that can be changed out on these to get some additonal pressure? Or is the old gal just too old

I thought I've been told before you change change out the relief springs on the 56 and 66 series and such.

Thanks

Once had SMTA on a Westfield 10-61 auger already raised. Big rain forecast. The old girl would just raise it enough to put lid on. Would never have budged it from transport position. Also reservoir probably not big enough. A local farm auction had a 560 and a 10-61 auger. Owner said 560 would not lift from lowered position. IIRC auger manual lists 1200psi for 51 ft and 1500 for 61. That is for 10 inch auger.

Relief valve on a 400 is in the regulator block under the heavy spring. Although the books always said 12 to 1500 psi, usually 12 would be what most of them seem to put out. I have known people to shim relief valve but it is not really practical in my opinion. Guess and by golly and if a little too much, valve may not open and pop.

Those pumps can do 2000 PSI easily enough but the problem is the timing gears that run everything cant.

I learned that the hard way when I converted our old M over to live hydraulics about 20 years ago and never checked the loader spools relief valve settings. They will take 1500 PSI all day long though.

1200 psi is about all the 400/450 can make turning at only 1450 rpm, the 300/350 will do a bit better and the Utility's had the highest psi running about 1500 psi at 2000 rpm. I had a log splitter that the 300U could just run adequately and the 450 could barely split kindling.

Archived