Project followed me home......

Cooter

Like a cute puppy that you can't resist, I have this addiction of bringing them home.

Hiding in the brush is a tractor.......

I had talked to the owner a long time ago about buying this, but never followed through. I bumped into him in town and he said he didn't have the ambition to do anything with it and just wanted it gone.

4F801ED9-F671-4CC4-813B-E9EA93407032_zps

B91C7C45-08E1-4255-90F1-57E20B680721_zps

D9B50546-94D0-4522-B167-AECEB11006E1_zps

It' had been sitting there for a while, 10 years judging by the size of the trees growing up and through it. A dead tree fell across it bending on of the fenders, but I just pulled on it hard and it came back somewhat straight.

E7882484-BFF6-4309-A543-40D673161885_zps

All the tires had air in them and the engine was free, over all it was in decent shape.

7A07A5FF-2AE5-40DE-979A-E1AD6928BCD9_zps

The BEST part was that it had a working black tach! In all the years of shows and collecting, I have never seen one in real life, let alone owned one.

BC10DB73-6157-4053-A078-2146DA43F9A5_zps

I hooked it to the quick hitch on the back of the 806 and towed it home.

6900DF1E-2BFD-423C-A690-7692C51C3800_zps

It was full of clean coolant, hytrans, and engine oil. Unfortunately, it was 3/4 full of nasty old gas and a horribly rusty tank. So after I replaced the tank, cleaned the points, and carb it fired right up.

0E7448CC-85BF-4797-84BF-DA30F249F3D8_zps

I round baled some hay just to get it warm and blow the cob webs blow out of it. I was pleasantly surprised that the temp gauge still worked, I've never seen one of those working either.

F83B855E-4E52-4A68-AB36-B82D81016C14_zps

It needs the larger pressure relief valve put in, it's only a 1600 and it wouldn't latch the baler gate without backing into the bale I discharged. It needs odd and ends as I go, steering wheel obviously and a fuel sending unit.

Nice save, what's the serial number. It must be an early one with the black tach.

Nice save, what's the serial number. It must be an early one with the black tach.

#7759. It's earlier than my 806 which is 9976, but the black tach in mine had been replaced at some point.

Totally awesome find! Started right up and ran...thats an IH for ya! Square fenders, early tach??? Also, the drawbar (from the one side shot) looks funny...fast hitch?

Never heard of this infamous black tach? When did they switch to the usual style (like a 56 series)?

What an awesome find. In that first pic I'm looking and thinking that a car trailer is about to become your next project? :huh: Then I see it lurking in the foliage. Congrats.

What an awesome find. In that first pic I'm looking and thinking that a car trailer is about to become your next project? :huh: Then I see it lurking in the foliage. Congrats.

Was my thoughts too

Trailer...the tractor is way cool but that trailer is what I NEED. Been looking for a trailer to haul seed/etc and having a bit of a time. SO while ya'll are drooling over the tractor I'm thinking....why can't I find a guy with a trailer he just needs to get rid of...!! Biggest problem is I have no time to drive anywhere to get one, or to seriously look right now.

What kind of Genie is that that came out of the Hytran bucket? I have opened many cans of Hytran and never got a Genie out of one. :) Was the 706 one of your seven wishes?

What kind of Genie is that that came out of the Hytran bucket? I have opened many cans of Hytran and never got a Genie out of one. :) Was the 706 one of your seven wishes?

I was gonna go there but figured I'd leave it alone :):):)

I debated with myself all day about that same thing. Maybe it won't offend anyone.

Lucky the tin can stayed on the exhaust.

Any idea why it was parked up? Seems kinda crazy to me to just park it but if it were not you.may not have it now.

I debated with myself all day about that same thing. Maybe it won't offend anyone.

Good thing this wasn't on bash or that's the only thing getting the comments :ph34r:

Not sure what serial number the black tach was started, but it was changed on later 06 series. a lot got replaced because they only showed rpm's. There are a lot of unique features on the early 06 series.

Not sure what serial number the black tach was started, but it was changed on later 06 series. a lot got replaced because they only showed rpm's. There are a lot of unique features on the early 06 series.

I should look into that I suppose.

S/N 7759 is early enough for a black-faced tach, which started from the beginning of the '06's. Not sure of the serial number break to the multi-colored, fairly early, though. As for the fenders, they have been added. Flat tops were first available on 706's from 19250, iirc. The one in my avatar is 20498, and came from the factory with them.

Never heard of this infamous black tach? When did they switch to the usual style (like a 56 series)?

I don't have an actual serial number break, but I know that in '65 lots of stuff changed and this was one of them. This was used in the first two years of production - '63 & '64

That's the helper genie. She really likes old tractors too, which makes it nice because I don't have to argue or fight when I drag another one home. Mainly because I do something with them and they aren't just sitting around. She helped me drag it home, clean everything, and get it ready to run.

Lucky the tin can stayed on the exhaust.

Any idea why it was parked up? Seems kinda crazy to me to just park it but if it were not you.may not have it now.

It had a rain cap under the can which wedged the can in place. But thankfully the can was there, because those caps are fully weather proof; especially for years and years of sitting.

I should look into that I suppose.

As a personal note: I never liked the 06 series - ever. So as irony would have it, I own three of them now. I guess they grew on me because there were so many variations of that series as IH progressed and worked the bugs out. I have done a lot research and reading to see what changes were made from early to late series. In 65, when the 1206 was introduced, lots of design changes were made. I consider early '63 & '64 and late '65+

This is what I have discovered so far, from the factory:

• early 7/806: generators, clam shell fenders, black tachometers, foot park lock lever, short cast hydraulic levers, long lift arm shaft covered by dished cap, cast PTO lever, lights on fuel tank, 38" clam shell - 8 wedge rear wheel castings, non-greaseable shift levers, bull pinion bearing pre-load adjustment - axle housing independent of center housing. 806 only - RD pumps, separate oil fill and dipstick.
  • late 7/806 - introduction of 1206: Alternators, square fenders, rainbow tachometer, quad lights in fenders, solid rod PTO lever, hand operated park lever, long hydraulic levers, short lift arm shaft with flat washer, 12 wedge 38" rear wheel castings, greaseable shift levers, bull pinion bearing pre-load shimmed from break housing, 8/1206 non-RD block with common fill/dipsick & Rosamaster injection pump, later production 706 with 310 diesel.

I know there were some running changes with injectors between all the models, but I'm not familiar with all of those. I'm sure there are some internal stuff that I don't know about, but these are some cosmetic easy to see stuff that is fun to look at when you are at shows to see how much has been modified over the last 50 years. Many have had square fenders, long hydraulic levers, rainbow tachs, and park levers swapped out over time, those are pretty common. Some have had the 56 series shifters put on, but these are all personal preference, but I really like to see how the early production stuff at shows - mainly because it's hard to find.

As a personal note: I never liked the 06 series - ever. So as irony would have it, I own three of them now. I guess they grew on me because there were so many variations of that series as IH progressed and worked the bugs out. I have done a lot research and reading to see what changes were made from early to late series. In 65, when the 1206 was introduced, lots of design changes were made. I consider early '63 & '64 and late '65+

• early 7/806: generators, clam shell fenders, black tachometers, foot park lock lever, short cast hydraulic levers, long lift arm shaft covered by dished cap, cast PTO lever, lights on fuel tank, 38" clam shell - 8 wedge rear wheel castings, non-greaseable shift levers, bull pinion bearing pre-load adjustment - axle housing independent of center housing. 806 only - RD pumps, separate oil fill and dipstick.
  • late 7/806 - introduction of 1206: Alternators, square fenders, rainbow tachometer, quad lights in fenders, solid rod PTO lever, hand operated park lever, long hydraulic levers, short lift arm shaft with flat washer, 12 wedge 38" rear wheel castings, greaseable shift levers, bull pinion bearing pre-load shimmed from break housing, 8/1206 non-RD block with common fill/dipsick & Rosamaster injection pump, later production 706 with 310 diesel.

I know there were some running changes with injectors between all the models, but I'm not familiar with all of those. I'm sure there are some internal stuff that I don't know about, but these are some cosmetic easy to see stuff that is fun to look at when you are at shows to see how much has been modified over the last 50 years. Many have had square fenders, long hydraulic levers, rainbow tachs, and park levers swapped out over time, those are pretty common. Some have had the 56 series shifters put on, but these are all personal preference, but I really like to see how the early production stuff at shows - mainly because it's hard to find.

Awesome information, thanks!

nice nice, i never expected to see that nice a tractor come out of the brush picture

What is this?

FT

What is this?

FT

He's referring to the rockshaft for the 3pt/2pt hitch. Early tractors had a longer rockshaft and they needed a dished cap to clamp the 3pt lift arms against the shoulder before the cap hit the end of the shaft. Later tractors (including the 56's, 26's, and 66's all had shorter rockshafts and were retained with a large flat washer instead. I am sure the flat washer was considerably cheaper per tractor. The early 06 tractors with diesel engines also used a cable operated ether injection system as well, until they were retrofitted by dealers with the newer electric style or removed completely to prevent a sticking cable from destroying an engine. The early tractors also came with a foot operated park lock as well. Operators had a habit of bumping them with their foot while in motion, so most were updated to the hand operated style soon afterward. Also, earlier tractors (s/n below 23000) had a larger gear ratio in the TA than later tractors did (53T vs. 51T gear), so the earlier tractors went slower when the TA was in use, but had a larger increase in torque. The earlier 06 tractors with fast hitch also got individual mounting brackets for the limiter blocks (one for left and one for right) that did not have a provision for a standard drawbar and had a habit of loosening and breaking from the pounding of the fast hitch against the blocks. Later tractors got a one-piece bracket (spans from left to right side) that also allows adding a standard swinging drawbar. Also, I believe all 06 tractors with the RD pump had a fuel pressure gauge installed on a bracket mounted using the kick plate holes just to the left of the park lock handle to monitor filter restriction. Also, all tractors with the black faced tachometer (with no speeds listed) had a sticker on the kickplate (base of the dash between the batteries) that listed the speed in each gear at PTO rpm with or without TA. A different sticker was used for each tire size.

Archived