ROPS Roll Bar Rebate in NY, VT., other states plus...I was on TV!

Snowmad

My Senator, James Seward, made an announcement last week at our farm about the new $250,000 program in NY that will retrofit an older tractor with a ROPS. They will pick up the tab for any expense over $500 for a ROPS, including the installation. Since a roll bar was $1800 plus $300 shipping for my 684, I'm glad this program was available since there's no way I'd pay that much for a roll bar myself. Anyway, since the press conference was at our farm, our tractor was featured on the local news (even though we haven't got it installed yet).

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/State-funding-will-increase-farmer-safety-save-lives-328719881.html?cid=facebook_WBNG-TV_Action_News

As you'll see, some of my other red iron got on the news as well! It's a great program if you live in one of the participating states you should look into it for your older tractors. Stay safe! :)

That sounds like a good deal for farmers. I have a couple questions. Are they also gonna require the seat belt? Roll guards aren't much good without the seatbelt. Also, I have never seen after market roll bars that are ROPS or OSHA approved. Only factory installed are certified. Not trying to be an a hole here, just want to know if the politicians are getting the right and propper information on these things. Don't want to see a bunch of guys getting them for their toys or show only tractors and paid for with tax dollars.

Jerry

very good video. i hadn't seen it before. we had fox 40 here a couple years ago promoting NYCAMH program.

i have used the NYCAMH rops program to put rops onto my 1206, 826 hydro, 504, and one of the 656 hydros. the 1466 is next. my brother has put them on his 784, 806, and M. the one for his 784 was a great installation and i think it would work on my 656 hi utility without having to butcher the fender/platform assembly. i don't think the 784 rops is certified for the 656 though.

jerry, the seat belts are included with the kits. all rops through the NYCAMH program are certified for the tractor. trouble is, the rops for the super C and 240 don't have the 230 or 404 listed, even though they are all the same tractor underneath the sheet metal.

eason, john deere is offering certified jd rops at cost (around $800?) for their older tractors. kubota is also helpful for their tractors. caseih, on the other hand, worries about liability and such, so the option for my red ones has been certified aftermarket, and at an initial cost well over $2000 before the NYCAMH rebate.

here are my 1206 and 504 with their rops. the rops for the 826 is the same as the 1206 and made by saf-t-cab; 656 and 504 rops are the same and are made by hercules.

post-72-0-85260900-1443443074_thumb.jpg

very good video. i hadn't seen it before. we had fox 40 here a couple years ago promoting NYCAMH program.

i have used the NYCAMH rops program to put rops onto my 1206, 826 hydro, 504, and one of the 656 hydros. the 1466 is next. my brother has put them on his 784, 806, and M. the one for his 784 was a great installation and i think it would work on my 656 hi utility without having to butcher the fender/platform assembly. i don't think the 784 rops is certified for the 656 though.

jerry, the seat belts are included with the kits. all rops through the NYCAMH program are certified for the tractor. trouble is, the rops for the super C and 240 don't have the 230 or 404 listed, even though they are all the same tractor underneath the sheet metal.

here are the 1206 and 504 with their rops. the rops for the 826 is the same as the 1206 and made by saf-t-cab; 656 and 504 rops are the same and are made by hercules.

attachicon.gif504 1206 rops.JPG

I have never seen or heard of a letter series with ROPS on it - look pretty goofy wouldn't it?

here are the 1206 and 504 with their rops. the rops for the 826 is the same as the 1206 and made by saf-t-cab; 656 and 504 rops are the same and are made by hercules.

attachicon.gif504 1206 rops.JPG

I have never seen or heard of a letter series with ROPS on it - look pretty goofy wouldn't it?

you get used to it.

his daughter was using the M to rake hay, on hilly ground.

like i said, you get used to it.

Yes, we have a lot of hills here...our land ranges from 1350' elevation to 1650' in less than a half mile although most of our fields are relatively flat. Besides the somewhat unlikely chance of a roll over, a roll bar can also protect you if a hitch breaks or if a pin jumps out when you are going down hill with a wagon. Before you knew what happened the wagon could follow the tires up and be on you.

I'm not going to put more roll bars on my Super MTA's or any of the H's. I don't use them enough to justify needing them and I stay off the steeper ground with them and I do think they look a little goofy on older tractors like those. The 684 though gets run quite a bit...I've put 100 hours on it in the past 3 months. Not much need for the roll bar with what it's doing now...it's on the blower! :) I look forward to buying a sun canopy for it next summer (my expense).

I think NY Bill O addressed most of the other concerns about the program. Farmers are becoming a bit of an endangered species...I'm glad there are a few people that give a damn about us and have come up with this program.

Looks like they are getting some more use out of the footage they took at my farm. I guess I should have shown them some newer bigger iron. At least the green one isn't mine!

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Farming-roundtable-329997141.html?cid=facebook_WBNG-TV_Action_News

I wish I had known and participated in this program 2 years ago. I am now a participant after the fact, hopefully it will prevent any other tractor type incidents on my farm... Great program

I'm with SMOKER1 on this deal. Should go to working farm tractors and not to collector toys. Just my opinion.

i can't speak for every tractor that has been refitted, but the ones that i have seen in pictures certainly aren't trailer queens. my 4 are all working tractors. if they look decent, so much the better.

My tractors sure aren't trailer queens, they pull them instead of ride on them! :) (Ok, once in a while one might make it to a show but not very often) And not that I disagree with Smoker and Tickertoy, but I have heard there have been some deaths at shows with people loading their tractors incorrectly, causing them to overturn and be killed. Maybe a roll bar on "trailer queens" isn't such a bad thing. A lot of the guys going to shows haven't run a tractor in 40+ years or just run them occasionally on the weekends. Loading and unloading can be more dangerous than planting corn on flat land all day. Just food for thought. But as far as the program in my state, it's been pushed for farm safety to save farmers lives and I haven't seen any roll bars showing up at tractor shows.

Archived