Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Griest

I know you all like pictures

post-56614-0-77219400-1440424998_thumb.jpost-56614-0-22845000-1440425022_thumb.j The second pic is what happed when the water injection didn't come on. The manifold got so hot it melted, the side shield blew off and, pulled out the dipstick. The fire lasted only a few seconds, the paint wasn't even hurt. After that pull Dad put a quarter turn valve on the fender and did away with the electric set up. Water always came on after that.

Awesome pics! Glad nobody was hurt in that little fireshow!

cool pictures Jim!! would love to see more of your dad's tractor

I remember that tractor with a single straight pipe back in the day in Puller magazine. Great pics share some more with us, Ive saved it to my file

post-56614-0-70695000-1440438685_thumb.j This would be a four charger set up

post-56614-0-48802000-1440438713_thumb.j Single turbo, I think this was at Harrisburg in the Farm show building.

post-56614-0-45387700-1440438733_thumb.j And this would be two turbos. If I can get some help from one of my teenagers, I'll post one of what it looked like when it still looked like a farm tractor.

Nice pictures

Great pictures Jim, when was that?

Tom, Dad pulled back in the 70's. His last hook in competition was the last pull at The Buck in 1981.

I really enjoy those pictures, those were the good days of tractor pulling. would've loved seeing him run at the buck. I help the farmer who bought your dad's 1456 on his sale last year.

Lets jump in the way back machine and set the dial for the year 1973.....Here's Harry Griest along with his son lil Jimmy Griest........

g1_zps7dwclea1.jpg

And page 2......

g2_zpstlvqx6gq.jpg

(Been saving this for awhile now Jim......... B)

Thanks for sharing That Ken. Cute little guy wasn't I.

Tom, Dad pulled back in the 70's. His last hook in competition was the last pull at The Buck in 1981.

I remember going to the Buck with my Grandfather and some cousins and watched some pulling back in the mid 70's. Definitely remember some IH's so there could be a chance I saw your Dad!

Awesome pictures & a story to compliment them! I see that it started as a tri & then looks like ended up with a wide front....what is the story behind that? advantages/disadvantages?

Awesome pictures & a story to compliment them! I see that it started as a tri & then looks like ended up with a wide front....what is the story behind that? advantages/disadvantages?

It started out as a farm tractor just like any other 1456 except, it was a Gold Demo. Yea I know but, back then it was just a tractor. Anyway, when Dad started pulling he would do the spring work then change out the rear tires and put the single front wheel on. Also bigger turbo, turn up the pump etc. In the fall it would go back to a farm tractor again. This lasted about two years then there was to much done to it to be used on the farm anymore. When he went from the single wheel to the tri cycle front it lost 600 pounds. Then the rule change came out that everyone had to have a wide front.

It started out as a farm tractor just like any other 1456 except, it was a Gold Demo. Yea I know but, back then it was just a tractor. Anyway, when Dad started pulling he would do the spring work then change out the rear tires and put the single front wheel on. Also bigger turbo, turn up the pump etc. In the fall it would go back to a farm tractor again. This lasted about two years then there was to much done to it to be used on the farm anymore. When he went from the single wheel to the tri cycle front it lost 600 pounds. Then the rule change came out that everyone had to have a wide front.

Those were the days.

Who would think, a gold demo! That would be grounds for hanging this day in age. While I was not around during this era, I still enjoy this era of farming/pulling. That is a great story about him changing it to pull and then back again to be suitable for the farm. You can't beat the breed of farmer in those days. Numerous of these guys I'm sure did the same. Crank it up for bragging rights on the weekend and then see each other plowing with the same tractor the next week. Thank you for sharing the pictures and family history.

My kids wondered why my mom and dad built a house in 1963 that only had one bathroom and a one-car garage.

Simple answer: they built what they could afford. Credit wasn't so easy then.

Did he buy the tractor new or used Jim? Did it come from Hoober's new?

Did he buy the tractor new or used Jim? Did it come from Hoober's new?

Yes, he bought it new. He rented it the first spring then bought it. And, it did come from Hoobers.