Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Griest

Check the fuel tank

Just thought I would share this little story. Yesterday morning while at church, before service started a customer called saying his 574 gas had stopped running while mowing the pasture. He said I NEED to finish mowing as we are having a party here today, I know it's sunday but will you please come out. I told him I'll be there after church. We have had some problems with the screen in the fuel bowl getting cloged so I thought this might be the problem again. So I get there check it over and add 5 gals, of gas to the tank and mow two rounds around the pasture. Mailed the invoice this morning, bet he will check the tank the next time.

LOL, learned a long time ago from an old guy who rescued us on dark night that if you keep the top half of the tank full the bottom half never ever runs dry! In my defense the gas gauge in that car would read good to 1/2 a tank then it would run dry somewhere between 1/3rd and 1/8th showing. When I tried to pay him for his gas and time he refused telling me to return the favor to someone else stranded on the side of the road. That's when he told me about keeping the top half full.

Rick

The tank must be very clean, or the sump is not yet full, if running it out of gas did not stir up a bunch of sediment, and plug the filter.

Well, as a self proclaimed idiot I can speak on this subject.

About a year ago the 15 gal sprayer that I mounted on the 4-wheeler quit working. Naturally it had to be the pump, so I took off the pump and replaced it with a spare, installed new hose too. Plugged it in, turned it on.... nothing. Got out the voltmeter that #2 son the Mack mechanic/engineer taught me how to use. Sure enough, with my new knowledge I was getting nothing when I used the meter. Obviously it must be the female plug on the 4-wheeler since that was where I was testing. Dismantled the old plug, everything looks fine. I test the wires.... nothing. I call son to make sure I'm using the meter correctly. (I didn't tell him the whole story because he would call me an idiot..BTDT) Hmmmm....Must be a bad wire. This now requires pulling the front fenders, the rack, and a few other parts to get at the wiring harness. I've got this under control now!

Unbeknownst to me. While I'm in the shop starting to dismantle the 4-wheeler, #2 son calls the wife and asks "what is the problem and what is dad doing?" She explains as best she can. His next comment was .. "Let me talk to dad." She brings the phone to the shop and I proudly explain to #2 son the Mack mechanic/engineer all the things I've done and the step by step testing. No problem, we'll figure this one out. After listening to me explain everything.... and without missing a beat.... he says.........

"Did you check the fuse..??"

........ a 15 amp fuse later and all is running as it should. Now I just need to put everything back together.

And he didn't call me an idiot! (though I could sense a lot of head shaking on the other end of the phone) I can only wonder when granddaughter #1 (the 4.35 gpa) asked.... What did grandpa need?

ps: Sometime, I'll tell the story about the time the trailer lights wouldn't work..... (I can do a lot of things, but mechanic'n ain't one of them)

Oldtanker.... I understand what the old guy said. When we lived in Montana (30 miles to the closest store of any kind), my wife was more or less left with raising the two boys while I was travelling the world visiting exotic places. She got to where if there was only a single item of anything in the pantry, she got two or three the next time she went to town. To this day, she will never let a fuel tank go below the 1/2 mark. That goes for the vehicles, the propane tank, tractor tank, kerosene heater or lamps. Anything that uses fuel or even batteries. (There are always extra batteries for the MagLite and radio)

Well, as a self proclaimed idiot I can speak on this subject.

About a year ago the 15 gal sprayer that I mounted on the 4-wheeler quit working. Naturally it had to be the pump, so I took off the pump and replaced it with a spare, installed new hose too. Plugged it in, turned it on.... nothing. Got out the voltmeter that #2 son the Mack mechanic/engineer taught me how to use. Sure enough, with my new knowledge I was getting nothing when I used the meter. Obviously it must be the female plug on the 4-wheeler since that was where I was testing. Dismantled the old plug, everything looks fine. I test the wires.... nothing. I call son to make sure I'm using the meter correctly. (I didn't tell him the whole story because he would call me an idiot..BTDT) Hmmmm....Must be a bad wire. This now requires pulling the front fenders, the rack, and a few other parts to get at the wiring harness. I've got this under control now!

Unbeknownst to me. While I'm in the shop starting to dismantle the 4-wheeler, #2 son calls the wife and asks "what is the problem and what is dad doing?" She explains as best she can. His next comment was .. "Let me talk to dad." She brings the phone to the shop and I proudly explain to #2 son the Mack mechanic/engineer all the things I've done and the step by step testing. No problem, we'll figure this one out. After listening to me explain everything.... and without missing a beat.... he says.........

"Did you check the fuse..??"

........ a 15 amp fuse later and all is running as it should. Now I just need to put everything back together.

And he didn't call me an idiot! (though I could sense a lot of head shaking on the other end of the phone) I can only wonder when granddaughter #1 (the 4.35 gpa) asked.... What did grandpa need?

ps: Sometime, I'll tell the story about the time the trailer lights wouldn't work..... (I can do a lot of things, but mechanic'n ain't one of them)

Same thing happened to me except it was a wiper blade motor. I was sure I had burned it out trying to let the motor un-stick frozen blades. Tore it out while it was 10 degree with 20 mph wind and blowing snow. My buddy who knows absolutely nothing asked if I had checked the fuse. The "I'm a dumb@$$" buzzer immediately goes off in my head and at that point I was actually hoping the fuse wasn't blown.

It was.

Just thought I would share this little story. Yesterday morning while at church, before service started a customer called saying his 574 gas had stopped running while mowing the pasture. He said I NEED to finish mowing as we are having a party here today, I know it's sunday but will you please come out. I told him I'll be there after church. We have had some problems with the screen in the fuel bowl getting cloged so I thought this might be the problem again. So I get there check it over and add 5 gals, of gas to the tank and mow two rounds around the pasture. Mailed the invoice this morning, bet he will check the tank the next time.

Jim, I do believe a similar occurrence with that 284 or maybe the 184 at the sale the other week?! Guy's were cranking away until you shone your flashlight in the tank!

I remember a good one; Back in the day running service calls for dryers I had a call. "Go down to what's his names out side of Chestertown" ( Maryland) "Says his dryer is off, can't see the light from the house." We had rigged a light 30 feet or so up the leg that was on when the dryer was running that the customer could see from his house. So I drove down and checked things out; customer says he just got over to look and the dryer is running. I climbed up to the light and replaced the bulb. B) 6 hours round trip to change a light bulb.

ONE TIME OUR 666 WASNT RUNNING RIGHT. I LIMPED IT INTO THE IH DEALER.WE PUT IT ON THE DYNO.PULLED LIKE 20-30 HP. THE DEALER CHECKED OUT A FEW THINGS.THEN OPENED UP AIR CLEANER. THE TRACTOR JUST ROARED TO LIFE. I KNOW BETTER BUT JUST PLAIN STUPID. SIMPLE THINGS WE OVER LOOK OR TAKE FOR GRANTED...

Jim, I do believe a similar occurrence with that 284 or maybe the 184 at the sale the other week?! Guy's were cranking away until you shone your flashlight in the tank!

I remember a good one; Back in the day running service calls for dryers I had a call. "Go down to what's his names out side of Chestertown" ( Maryland) "Says his dryer is off, can't see the light from the house." We had rigged a light 30 feet or so up the leg that was on when the dryer was running that the customer could see from his house. So I drove down and checked things out; customer says he just got over to look and the dryer is running. I climbed up to the light and replaced the bulb. B) 6 hours round trip to change a light bulb.

Tom, i fotgot about that tractor being out of fuel at the auction. Funny stuff. Now if you think driving 6 hours to replace a light bulb is funny read this. About 7 years ago I got a call from a wealthy customer in Flordia. She had just taken her million dollar horse rig down for the winter. She told me she was having problems with the side door on the trailer. The whole side of the trailer wall opens on hyd. cylinders using a battery powered unit. I said "charge the battery and retry it". She said "you get on a plane and get down here". So two days later I'm on a plane headed south. Yep you guessed it, I flew to Flordia to replace a dead battery.

Commandment number 11.................

THOU SHALT NOT BELIEVE A FUEL GAUGE STRANGE TO THEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just spent 2 days getting RE educated in this :blink: !!!

(if your not screwing up-----you aint doin nuthin!!!) ;)

Mike

When my daughter got here first vehicle rule number 4. If I find your car with less than 1/4 quarter tank I get the keys for awhile.

Tom, i fotgot about that tractor being out of fuel at the auction. Funny stuff. Now if you think driving 6 hours to replace a light bulb is funny read this. About 7 years ago I got a call from a wealthy customer in Flordia. She had just taken her million dollar horse rig down for the winter. She told me she was having problems with the side door on the trailer. The whole side of the trailer wall opens on hyd. cylinders using a battery powered unit. I said "charge the battery and retry it". She said "you get on a plane and get down here". So two days later I'm on a plane headed south. Yep you guessed it, I flew to Flordia to replace a dead battery.

Wife's uncle had an on site heavy equipment repair service. Back in the late 80's a company doing some work in our area hired him and liked his work well enough that they continued to use him even though he had to travel. About a year before he retired he got a call from them about a truck in their yard that wouldn't run. So he drives down 175 miles one way to turn the manual fuel tank selector valve from one tank to the other.

Rick