5120 Maxxum Syncro Trans Issue

PaMike

I just picked up a Case IH 5120 with the syncro trans (no powershift). I am new to the tractor, but getting used to the trans and shuttle pretty quick.

There appears to be an issue in first gear. Issue is only in first gear, but happens in any range.

Put the tractor in first and let the clutch out, tractor will move forward slightly(maybe a foot) then stop. "Disengage clutch" light will come on it dash.

Push in the clutch light goes out. Let clutch out and tractor will move a foot and light will come back on. If you shift to a different gear you are fine.

The shifter doesn't pop out of gear like older tractors might with a worn trans gear.

I know this tractor has a safety where you must disengage the clutch before the shifter can go into gear.

Its almost like a sensor for the first gear isn't making contact and telling the tractor its in gear...

Any input?

Thanks

Down on the right side of the transmission by the shift linkages I think there are switches that tell the computer when it's put in gear.

Correct right in behind battery box is a magnetic reed switch that needs to be lined up with the magnet on shift linkage, hopefully it is not a worn shifter arm that goes thru transmission case.

So is there a procedure for adjusting it? I assume in first gear the switch isn't making contact so its kicking out? Every other gear works fine so I assume linkage needs to be adjusted for first gear? Thanks for the help!

I would put OHM'S meter in switch and manually shift linkage and adjust linkage and/or magnet to where switch closes when it is in first gear making sure you don't lose second gear after adjustments are made. That said have not seen to many synchro tractors so not as familiar with them as the power shift ones.

Yeah, mine is a little bit of a rare tractor. Sure beats and open station 685 though...

Whats this tractor worth? 5300 hrs, 2 wheel drive, cab, 34" rear rubber,synchro trans good condition, everything works..

I bought it rough and fixed and painted it. Got 10K in it. Is it a 15K tractor?

Archived