1952 I/H T6 Crawler Project

Sounds sweet !!

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woot heck froze over and I was able to find a salvage yard that had one!!!  I would be lying if I said I liked the price I paid for it but its still easier than having one made.  I do have the proper

Posted Images

Okay so I think FP Smith made a slight mistake......

I ordered three headlight mounts and a hood from them and they arrived today.  On inital inspection no issue untill  I took a closer look at the exhaust hole.  Did they send me a hood for a T-9?? The hole is no where near where the exhaust should be...... IMG_1749.thumb.jpg.bd73ea8c946dd066b2ba3701bcdcc3a7.jpgIMG_1750.thumb.jpg.1dbb3f42b10d48c20f66c93e4c8a29d7.jpg

Tanker,

Not sure what machine that hood goes too. You may be right? The current hole looks to be about where the small gas tank hole is on my TD6.

I think your going to have to use the hole moving tool!:) Hey if you got thr right size hole saw, the slug you cut out might be welded into the hole in the wrong location. I have fixed/ repaired worse on the Allis WD hoods a couple years ago.

Other than that the hood looks pretty good. These may be a little tough to find unless KoO has a couple spares?

Regards,

Chris

If the hood fits, and it appears to, it's probably for a T/TD6.  The hole that is there is for gas tank on a TD as Chris said.  My guess is the hood came off of an orchard tractor with an under hood exhaust attachment which would explain the lack of exhaust opening.  Chris's idea of a hole moving tool sounds like a good possibility.

Your project is looking good

Dennis

Orchard tractor makes sense as Dennis mentioned. I don't have a picture of one. But the exhaust was probably out the side or down?

Regards,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

So while all the tin is at the powder coaters I decided to keep my self busy by working on making track pads.  So after shoping around the cheapest track pads I could find where $38.  Times that by 64 and we are talking over $3,000.  So deciding I would rather climb Everest in my shorts than convince the wife to let me spend that much I looked for some alternatives. 

Insert this website, http://rumber.com/ I was able to buy a 2"X3"X 4FT log of rubber for $2.88 a foot.  So I went from $3,000 to just over $300 dollars for the rubber.  I still have to buy bolts but that will still put me well under the premanufactured price tag.

So with the rubber purchased I started cutting, this stuff acts like wood in a lot of ways so my normal circular saw was able to cut through it with no problems.  I poped a grouser off and went to the Fort Bliss auto skills center.  They had a decent drill press to use.  So after a solid hour of trial and error I got the method down and was able to crank out a decent amount of pads in a few hours.  Hoping that now I know how to drill efficently I can get the rest cut up and drilled out next weekend.

I ended up drilling 6 holes.  Two go all the way through and are how I will secure the pad to the track.  The other 4 are a 1/4ish inch deep and allow the pad to fit over the bolts holding the grousers on.  I then drilled a counter sink hole on the other side so the bolts could be inside the pad and not get smashed into the ground.

IMG-0216.thumb.JPG.c7ada8a8d6602543563bb2a538d009a6.JPG

IMG-0214.thumb.JPG.45f091cee888633ffa06cbd90ea18ccb.JPG

IMG-0215.thumb.JPG.2753287427611cdc4adc7418827b4950.JPG

IMG-0218.thumb.JPG.293051bce6d5995700f6fcf8291c353c.JPG

IMG-0217.thumb.JPG.d54f1fd4385c728530cdacf579c12fb5.JPG

Very good and your wife will be proud that you saved some of her spending money.  Nice place to do your drill work also.

One other thing, you need to get a rag under those tools laying on your fender.  lol

Dennis

Update time, IT RUNS IT FING RUNS!!!!!!  The hood work is being done by the powder coaters, they said they could use the old hood as a template for the wholes.  I am not convinced but they have done great work so far so I have no reason to doubt them.  The look on the kids faces was priceless, as was the looks people gave me when I drove it to the gas station. 

So the track pads worked perfectly!!!

Tanker,

These seem to be tough lights to find. But I did luck out and get a good one on ebay for $75. I think there was a post about similar lights on other Cat machines like Deeres too.

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

@Tanker916

I just ordered the 2x3 rubber from that company in Texas    hope they work out   

I may be able to score some lights from a td9 locally. I'll let you know. 

That would be great, I would happily take them off your hands.  The rubber will work so long as you have a drill press.  For the holes I deliberetly didn't make the counter sink deep as the bolt will naturaly compress into the rubber as you tighten it.  I think I drilled 3/8 of a inch but im not certain. 

The fan and wiring harness arrived yesterday so I was able to get both bolted on and wired up.  Ill post a vidio latter but all I can say for now is Holy Crap that fan moves some serious air I could feal the air flow while standing behind the tractor.  I have some more permenant mounting brackets that I will use after I get to the bolt store.

IMG-0227.thumb.JPG.59503fd4b4ceaa7d14a14d48ce30aee2.JPG

IMG-0226.thumb.JPG.8579ddbe1375bdaae5f505ddfd4cde8a.JPG

IMG-0225.thumb.JPG.b37ac9f3a7bf587aab2974ef69f76841.JPG

IMG-0224.thumb.JPG.a25dbd35f1fa27b5bc8ea0b557b52023.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The original water pump was worn out and the fan blades didn't look servicable to me.  When I priced a mechanical fan V a electrical there was almost no difference.  So I spent the extra couple bucks and got the more efficent electric.  My goal for this is to have modern advantages that folks won't know about until they are right up on it.

Got all my stuff back from the coaters and as usuall they blew me away with the quality of their work.  My wife helped me get the hood mounted as well as runnig the wiring for the headlights.

59f0a28da5449_T6Withlights3.thumb.jpg.8f54c61f59fe4036f9e33bb81d17ef06.jpg

The hood needed some "gental" persuasion but we eventually got it on.  I know the grill isn't stock but the ones I had were in pretty bad shap and this was the best my local metal shop could do.  The muffler is ceramic coated, this will prevent the stainless from slowly detiorating and keep it looking nice.

59f0a28a4e783_T6Withlights2.thumb.jpg.494d2b229ab4aa6d071c3e14bc995904.jpg

59f0a286379ed_T6Withlights1.thumb.jpg.c6786373bb2c595fc49905eab8ba02ea.jpg

Lights work great, I need to make a slight change to the front headlights wiring but other than that they are complete.  At this point I just need to do small anckle bitter things, find/order decals (anyone have a preferred place to go), mount the engin shroud pannels, battery box made, battery cover made,...... holy crap thats a lot of stuff........

20 hours ago, Tanker916 said:

The original water pump was worn out

I noticed in your picture of the new water pump , it appears that the drive coupling is twisted a bit ?

The packing adjustment and lubrication  is critical on that style pump , (hopefully all is well)

The Bolts them selves are a little bent but the rest of the hosing is good. (the bolts took a bite out of the first fan I tried to mount, hence the reason the new one is infront of the radiator.)  Although there is a leak that is coming from the center of the pump, how do I correct that without buying a new one?