Tanker916

1952 I/H T6 Crawler Project

Tanker,

Did you see those lights for sale? They would look real good on your 6".

Regards,

Chris

Where did you get your T-6 decal? 

So now that I have a running T6 I thought I would begin work on some attachments IH made for it.  The first is a PTO to Belt attachment (Part number 53260 DA or 53261 DA) they made that bolted onto the back of the tractor.  I found one off a classified add but it is missing two things.  The first is the actual pulley that goes on the end (part number 264370 R91 or 264371 R91).  So my first question is will a pulley off a H/M/C work on this?  The other part I am missing is actually one I am more worried about.  The part number is 49541 DA and it connects the engaging gear to the engaging lever.  Anyone know where I can find two of those or the exact dimensions so I can have some made?  Below are some pictures of the gear and fork.

018be0e20b6ad638fee9e3d86422101ab6a26134c8.thumb.jpg.ca1659b60ff451bb9497593d59602509.jpg018b3438b486d928bf7582100fdc6871401bdd78f6.thumb.jpg.53f8f1e1a78b0d3c1f512086c723aad5.jpg

Wow I feel dumb for not looking at their website, found those pieces and the pulley.  Heres hoping their online inventory matches on hand!!!

No thats why we come and share on forums like this! Attachments are a fun (work) project. Did you get those lights?

Regards,

Chris

Well rats they have the pins but no pulley anyone know if a pulley off a m/h/c will work?  And no I never did get the lights I might see if fp has them and if they are reasonably priced.

Well rats FP only had one of the two pins I need and I also realized that in order to mount the pully attachment I have to have the PTO assembly.  So a question I need your guys help with is the following,

Is the PTO assembly on the back of the T6 the same as a 9?

Yes they are the same unit, the only difference is the shaft that goes into the transmission, it is longer on a 9, some of the 6 and 9 pto's have different gear count but they both work in either.

I will look to see if I have an extra pin, If I do it's yours.

Tanker, found an extra pin, message me your mailing or shipping address, it's yours.

Louie

Louie sorry for never messaging you somehow I missed your post.

im batting a huge zero on finding a pto unit.  Does anyone have one that needs a good home?  Cloesest I have come is a fella with the gear rev conversion set, A not sure the pto will fit the pulley attachment and B I don’t want to buy a set when I just need the pto portion.  I’ll happily pay for the part and shipping.

Louie if your ever in El Paso let me know I owe you multiple beers!!!!!

So I went home on leave for a few weeks and decided to take advantage of being near my Grandpas to see if I could get Nellybell to run.  After much gnashing of teeth and lots of ungentlemen like words being said over two days me and my Grandpa got her to run!!!!  The first day I tried to get her to run by replacing the plug wires, capacitor, and running a wiring from the battery to the distributor in order to bypass the trucks old wiring.  No luck, had no spark at the plug.  Second day I bit the bullet and changed the points (thought it was going to be a lot harder than it was hence my avoidance of it) and got spark. Put the distributor back together and sprayed a shot of either into the carb and she stuttered to life!!!!!  A added surprise was the mechanical fuel pump still worked.  I know because it dumped 30 year old gas on the exhaust (I disconnected the fuel line to get better access to the carb.)

For now that is good enough for me, she runs and has a good fuel pump so I just need to drain the fuel tank and put in good gas.  I will do that when I come up mid September.  At that point I will load her onto my trailer and take her home to begin restoring/modifying her!!!

Here are some more pics of the indside of the cab, overall in good shape but has a rust spot in the back of the cab by the drivers head.IMG-0035.thumb.JPG.cb288f676f4c1ee4acaafae739419112.JPGIMG-0036.thumb.JPG.79cd476a2f69a31b72aa03e00707200f.JPGIMG-0037.thumb.JPG.a1357c9965c16f18e2bf0094391def72.JPGIMG-0038.thumb.JPG.b8deae91f3a4b1d86a1a099eb5c4ec29.JPG

Great restoration!

Where did you get the rubber ball/boot for the shifter? Also I am looking for new rubber grips for the main clutch and steering clutch levers, have you found these anywhere by chance?

Regards,

Pete

Just received two of the shifter boots from Steiner Tractor.  McMaster Carr should have the clutch handles

Thanks, I have tried the grips from McMaster (Round Grips, Smooth, Flanged, for 5/8" OD, Black, Packs of 6) Part #97065K22 but am not happy with them. They are too short and just don't have the same quality/robustness that the old ones did. I would rather go with just a rubber material than the vinyl. Is there a different grip on McMaster that you prefer?

Looked at them but never ordered, so I cannot comment on quality or fit

The shifter boot I bought of Steiners I was looking at McMaster for rubber grips but I think ill hold off going off what you are saying.

Woot she is home safe and sound. It took a lot of doing to get her out of her resting place, the 30 plus years of sitting caused her to sink into the ground several inches. We used some bumper jacks that are older than I am to lift the gran box up and moved 55 GAL drums under it. Once it was up I had to crawl under it with a cutting tourch and take care of some bolts that didn't want to cooperate. One burned butt check latter, all the bolts were off and we were ready to pull her out from under the grain box. It took a IH 700 series tractor to get her out and even then the tractor struggled to pull her out. IMG_0877.thumb.JPG.dc534b296d2aa3dfd7e8d6ea37e17ef5.JPG

With that complete I backed my trailer into the shed and unhooked my truck from it. We blocked the wheels and put jack stands under the back of it in order to prevent the trailer from tilting as we pulled Nellybell onto it.

IMG_0876.thumb.JPG.0760353623792d9eb164c20ebdd36018.JPG

I turned my truck around and put the tongue of the trailer against my trucks bumper.

IMG_0873.thumb.JPG.e3cb94c25029eb50387596486a2452e1.JPG

IMG_0878.thumb.JPG.ea8c324e548d63243e1beb31cc253dd5.JPG

Unwound the winch and hooked up to her bumper. Once hooked up and all fingers and toes cleared we began pulling.

IMG_0875.thumb.JPG.b8a92b4103c14e074213cfdef72d62e9.JPG

IMG_0879.thumb.JPG.837b7466aca67912e3f8efb8448012dc.JPG

We ended up having to take one of the duel tires off in order to get it to fit onto the trailer, and now she is residing at her new residence in Fort Sill, OK.

IMG_0880.thumb.JPG.19319fcee023cbfc916195e8aab3580a.JPG

IMG_0881.thumb.JPG.2f4a92c9a8993e8f2a390d613f0d851d.JPG

Me and my wife cleaned the cab out yesterday and we had some extra help for some of the kids.

IMG_0884.thumb.JPG.0513790e8e219e454e2e325c65e692bd.JPG

IMG_0887.thumb.JPG.de1fa05e47846bc9fe02b70632baa955.JPG

And here's a picture of my grandpas crawler that will go on a adventure towards the end of October and help recover a TD9 that is stuck on a mountain top.

IMG_0874.thumb.JPG.465551b79197e126f300c4f2a63293fb.JPG

O I almost forgot to mention I took the T6 to the Meriden Antique Engine and Thresher show.  The drive up there was more painful than the drive I went on to get it out of California.  Drove through a massive OK rain storm and when clear two tires on my trailer blew (one at a time thankfully).  When the second one went I was a mile away from a 24 hour tire change station.  After multiple trips up and down the interstate I had 4 brand new tires on my trailer and drove through the rest of the night with a 2 hour nap break to arrive at 0600. 

I was very surprised by the number of people that came to look at it (this is after it went through 2 inches worth of rains and was covered in road grim).  Meet a fellow forum member and had a great time talking to him and his son.  The trip was really made worth it when I got to show it off to my grandpa whos ear to ear grin told me all I needed to know.  The best part was when I asked him if he wanted to drive it.  Mind you its all he can do to get up and down his tractors that he has put extra steps on, without hesitation he started climbing onto it.  Took us 5 minutes to get him situated but he never stopped smiling.   Once he got going he couldn't stop laughing.IMG_0866.thumb.JPG.2e24ca50fec8a179b3ee08b9142b26cb.JPG

IMG_0865.thumb.JPG.990e0e0d65cd86253cce3136bdfef53b.JPG

He did a victory lap around the parking area and parked it laughing and smiling the entire time.

Tanker,

Priceless! Thanks for sharing! Good luck with the truck project too, I know its in good hands!

Regards,

Chris

On 9/27/2018 at 10:12 AM, Tanker916 said:

parked it laughing and smiling the entire time.

Great  to hear Grandpa was having a heck of a time with your beautiful T6😀