Which IH to look for, Any Input Appreciated

gwoswald

Of the ones on you list I'd consider the 766 or 756 because its a larger frame tractor, and once you get a tractor you usually figure should've bought bigger. We've got a 766 and 1486 and they both do lots of loaderwork and run round balers all summer and fall. The 766 is an amazing tractor for its hp, but the 1486 will do the exact same job and turn as sharp, but drink less fuel, and out pull the 766 any day. And in my area anyway, the bigger tractors sell for about the same $ as the smaller ones, so I'd consider a 10 or a 14. Just my 2 cents, and good luck in your search.

766 or 756 hands down.

What everyone else said about the size of a 766 compared to the 9, 10, or 14. If they seem more nimble, it's probably because of smaller tires and a little less weight.

One of the best things about buying one used is that chances are, the drive train hasn't been challenged as much as those in a 10 or 14.

Just throwing my two cents in I have a 656 diesel with a fresh rebuild as a hobby tractor. I hooked it to our John Deere 459 which is a 4X5 and it could only pull it on flat ground and on a steep hill it wouldn't pull it at all. Just my two cents.

Agree on frame size being the same from the 7X6 through to the 14X6. The only observation is that the 10X6 and 14X6 are more likely to have been rode hard and put away wet. As an item of interest, just today I stuck my nose in the door to one of a jockey's sheds and in front of me were a cherry 986 with cab and air and a no cab 786. Not sure what he intends to do with them.

gwoswald, You Listed a 766 as your top pick!....OK!.....Then Why not consider a 966 or 1066 Big brothers to the 766 yo listed!!

IMO A 966 would be a better pick. I have a 966 and run the pi$$ out of it. and it just keeps coming back for more! the Extra HP over a 766 will be a plus, you can run a three swing, 15ft Batwing Shredder of most any kind, A 2350 IH Loader will bolt on with NO Mods needed. the only thing to watch is the IH 414 engine Doesn't like to Idle around much doing Light Duty/ Chore work! the engine will start Slobbering oil some Nothing the get excited about, Just hook up to a heavy disc/chisel/ or moldboard and make it think your are trying to pull her Guts out out of her, and it will clear up in short order!

My second pick would be a 806 Diesel, tough as nails, and easy to work on ,, many, many good solid ones out there still!

Both the 966 and 806 have Waaayyyyy heavier Draw-bars assemblies than a 706 or 756 ......to support the heavy tongue wt of a larger 15ft Batwing shredders

Hope this helps

Later,

John A,

Archived