Super WD6 TA

rkh1964

i have been told only 600 hundred were made, 300 for use in canada and 300 for the U.S. not sure if this is true but they are some what rare. i think if it is has the factory decals it should say super w6 ta and diesel should be below the mcormick emblam on the hood......dieselman.

I don't see that it says TA anywhere but it does say super WD6 and it has a TA

Mine is that way too. I'm not sure they are the original decals but I also don't see nay indication of anything different . Dad bought the tractor in 1976.

My dad picked up a Super 6 a couple years ago. (gas)

It has a hand lever that at first, we thought to be a t/a, but wondered why there where not Torque Amplifier stickers on the side.

Then we realized the lever was actually an M&W hand clutch. That answered that.

If that was a Super MDTA Id expect it to be worth quite a bit. Ive seen those go quickly at 3900 in rough shape and as much as 6500 in nice shape.

As far as SW6s go in general Ive talked about that before as I have one on my bucket list.

The local guy trying to sell his 53 model in very rough but running shape still insists on 2000.

But there are a pair in much better condition that I assume run at a jockey's yard in the central part of the State for 1000 each.

For some reason the W series simply does not bring a big price.

So, why dont I go get one of those 1K tractors? Well I bought a boat instead and mom says I spent my allowance for the year.... :(

post-78654-0-28287800-1435667918_thumb.j

post-78654-0-68611000-1435667943_thumb.j

at auction this spring a sw6-ta diesel brought 7500.00, it was in nice condition, it sold into the U.S. the w series tractors were more common in the west than the farmalls. i thought 1954 was the first year for the ta and lpto in the w6 line.

at auction this spring a sw6-ta diesel brought 7500.00, it was in nice condition, it sold into the U.S. the w series tractors were more common in the west than the farmalls. i thought 1954 was the first year for the ta and lpto in the w6 line.

Tractor data doesn't have any details on the Super WD-6 TA but does say the TA was only available in '54, which also means LPTO was only available in '54 too.

Tractor data doesn't have any details on the Super WD-6 TA but does say the TA was only available in '54, which also means LPTO was only available in '54 too.

Correct. The hand clutch add-on feature created the "live pto" on the earlier models, such as my dad's '53 SW6. The hand clutch dis-engaged at the bull gears, allowing the transmission to still be spinning, thus spinning the pto shaft. Was useful when baling hay, needing to stop to finish a bale, etc. It was much easier to just pull back on a handle to stop moving and still have pto action, than it was to press the clutch to hit neutral, then let off the clutch to spin the pto, then press the clutch again to get back in gear, and release the clutch one last time. That can be tough on a pto driveline.

Archived