Leaking Rear Main seal, 806D

chadd

Today, rear main seal started dumping oil out clutch housing. It used to seep somewhat, but now it is dripping out of the drain hole and weeping from the timing pointer cover. The oil is black, so it is engine oil, not trans fluid. The back of the clutch housing seems much drier. Ours is a low serial number tractor, so it would have the non-lip seal type, which CNH doesn't list a wear ring for. I'd assume the crank must be worn for the seal to fail... So I am guessing I need to pay the $260 for the new style update kit, or is the old style seal still serviceable? Anything else that should be done while I am in there? I know there were several topics about this in the past, but when I do a search, I can't seem to find them. Thanks.

I've never seen one without a lip seal in it. All the ones I've seen had the seal and wear sleeve. I had a very early one apart a few years ago with an RD pump and the dipstick separate from the oil fill and it had the seal and wear sleeve, maybe was added later?

I've never seen one without a lip seal in it. All the ones I've seen had the seal and wear sleeve. I had a very early one apart a few years ago with an RD pump and the dipstick separate from the oil fill and it had the seal and wear sleeve, maybe was added later?

Ours has the RD pump, the separate oil fill and dipstick holes, and the clamshell fenders. One of the parts guys hand wrote in the p/n of the update kit in my parts manual and noted that it is an update to the lip type seal used on all D- and DT-361 engines after 1206 start of production. I suppose there is no way to tell what I've got until I roll it apart...

It's not way over full with fuel leaking past pump seals is it?

Most any salvage yard will have the later ring fits 361s and 407s. probably plenty cheap .Just add a gasket and the later seal and you are ready to go.

The 5/16 bolts that hold the seal retainer, must have something on them the holes go thru. i usually put a little blue loctite on them. What i do is put the gasket and seal retainer on the back plate and just snug the bolts, then put red loctite on the wear sleeve and a little permatex number 2 on the outside of the seal. then use the tool to position the wear sleeve and seal, then torque the 5/16 bolts to around 20-22 ft.lbs. this way the seal centers the seal retainer. i also put a little something on the gasket like copper coat or 515 purple stuff from case ih.

Archived