Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dyna

1962 IH Loadstar 1600 4x4

I was just given this from a friend. It started out as a military vehicle here in Alaska, then was transitioned to the forest service (where it got the crappy, then-orange paint job) and was retired into private firewood service (where it got the stripes). Inline 6, dual speed rear end, almost no rust and still original glass.

Can anyone decode the serial number (pre-VIN time frame). SB-226759-B or tell me any more history on the vehicle. Next year, the vehicle will be stripped and restored/modified.

post-116801-0-91937800-1432829891_thumb.

post-116801-0-79380700-1432829902_thumb.

post-116801-0-94966500-1432829911_thumb.

Welcome aboard ,

I can't help you with your serial number .But the Light line dealers offer a research service ,for $25

They will access the Wisconsin Historical Society archives ,Where all the IH records are kept ,

And if available they will provide you with a pdf copy of your "Line setting Ticket" which provides you with all

the particulars on how your truck came from the factory.

Neat truck ,Looking forward to the restoration

AST

Welcome to the forum.

If you will locate the Navistar ( IH ) truck dealer, that is the most convenient for you to use, they can order you a Line Setting Ticket for your serial number. My dealer will not charge for this and the Line Setting Ticket will tell the Parts Dept. every component that was installed on your truck from the factory. It makes your life easier when ordering parts. Make several copies and put one in the glove box, safeguard the others. There may already be a copy in the truck. Look in the glove box, on the lid, behind the glove box, in the cab behind the drivers head, behind the passengers head, and behind the seat, also on the firewall, and side of both the kick panels.

You may be able to google the parts and line setting ticket. I know that the tractor dealers offer on line parts searches.

GT&T

Why was I not told of FREE line setting tickets :angry: , Sigh---- that's what I get for not asking :)

Thanx GT

Kevin

I'm the King of Free. I think that it is written in scripture " Ye have not because ye ask not". If it isn't written in scripture it still is a good saying.

When you have been raised as poor as we were it never hurts to ask. Dad always said that, "If it wasn't worth asking for it wasn't worth having".

Now you know and so does the rest of the forum!

GT&T

Kevin

I'm the King of Free. I think that it is written in scripture " Ye have not because ye ask not". If it isn't written in scripture it still is a good saying.

When you have been raised as poor as we were it never hurts to ask. Dad always said that, "If it wasn't worth asking for it wasn't worth having".

Now you know and so does the rest of the forum!

GT&T

That's the best philosophy I've heard in a spell. LE

Cool rig!

Troy

That AST sure has a good friend, if he gave him that truck. :o:):D

GT&T

I'm curious about what part of Alaska he's in, but looks like he hasn't been back in a while.

Sorry, life got in the way. That and I had to build my shop. I live in Palmer, AK. 

I used to live in wasilla and nobody ever gave me a cool old truck. I need new friends. 😀

Is that really a 1962? 1962 was about the first year for Loadstars. 

If it is a 1962, and it looks like it sure could be, they have added new signal lights on the front fenders. Pretty sure they were all round lights on the fenders until at least 1967...

If that is your new shop in the background, it looks like you have a major project on your hands ..

I just joined this site, looking to track down info on a 1965 Loadstar that I have. Looks like we are neighbors.  We should get in touch :)

Does it have air brakes? I see the pump, just not sure. that's very neat truck! good luck on the restoration!