9 or 10 tooth starter drive?

New Englander

When I cross the starter drive P/N it comes up with 10 teeth. When I cross the starter P/N it comes up with a 9 tooth unit. It has a 9 tooth now but it's been clashing. I turned the ring gear around and of course will try it with the 10 once the engine's back in. 3616 with a C221, becoming a C301.

File one off 0_o.... Ha ha sorry bad joke...

I kinda got to keep an eye on the same thing with the old road grader w/ TD9. IH has two different size starter drive teeth and the Adams Road Grader has a little larger ring gear.

Ye old ring gear has two flat spots so I have to pull out the hand crank and turn the engine over to a good place on the ring gear and the starter locks in and it starts right up.

Good luck

Doesn't work. The slightly larger diameter of the 10 makes it bind on the ring.

Funny thing is that advertisers show both 9 and 10 tooth starters though the majority show 9.

The starter drive gear may be 9 or 10 but the nose cone is different also so you need the proper starter to match the drive. Take for instance a 706 Farmall tractor. You can have either the 9 or 10 drive but it has to match the rest of the starter due to the nose cone. Have seen that happen a few times with rebuilt units. On the farmall 656 they changed the number of teeth on ring gear and then match the starter drive to that. Confusing I know.

Archived