1086 lube light

The trans lube light will come on when warmed up. If I Rev it to 1000 rpm it'll go out, but brakes and steering always work fine. If light is not on, it will come on momentarily if I depress the brake or twist the steering wheel. Also if it comes on when I'm moving I can pull it into ta and it'll go out and stay off when I shift back to direct. I'll get some pressure readings but I was wondering if that sounds like a mcv problem or if pump is just getting very weak. Ta seems to work ok. If the light doesn't go out on clutch engagement it is harsh, but if light goes out like it should, it engages smoothly. Any ideas? Thanks, Robert

Direct and Ta 240-250. Lube in Ta is 18 but 0 in Direct. Between ta and direct lube pressure drops but ta pressure stays the same. When the clutch Is depressed the ta pressure momentarily drops to 100ish range then back up to 240 by the time the clutch pedal hits the floor. Does that give you any hints? Thanks Robert

You have a couple different problems here. I would say you have a high pressure problem , either pump or leaking in high pressure system in MCV plus a large leak in direct drive. I would not operate tractor with 0 or very low lube pressure as you are going to short change the entire lubricated parts including pinion in range transmission. With gauges on yet, it would try the middle position on TA lever. This will cut off flow to TA and D drive. If you get a good lube pressure in the middle but not in D drive you know your losing excess oil in DD. If you get a low lube and lower TA pressure when holding steering to stops, you know you also have a high pressure loss due to poor pump or leaky gasket or o-ring in the mcv.

Had a 1486 in the shop not long ago that was having the same problem. What I found was the rear pump was sucking air and the air was getting into the MCV through the super charge line. Now if your tractor has a PFC system this will not apply. But, if it has two pumps this could be your problem. The easy way to tell is unhook the super charge line from the bottom of the MCV. Cap the fitting and hook a hose to the line, run the line to the fill tube on the rear of the tractor. Start the engine and leave idle. Pull the hose out so you can see the oil flow, if it has air in it the problem is in the rear pump. Hope this helps.

Archived