HI 540 Spreader Apron Chain Tension

Snowmad

I borrowed a neighbors 540 IH spreader to clean up a pile of bedding/manure at a farm that boarded heifers for me this winter and they just made a big pile. My V type spreader doesn't like a lot of hay so I thought the apron spreader would work well. It's sat for years inside and hasn't been used much in the last 10 years or so. After 6 loads, I found out why my father used to hate apron chain spreaders. The apron chain broke and I had to fork it out. On looking closer, I saw each T-bar link on each of the slats was about worn through. So, after looking high and low (CIH says you have to order a $38 slat with the links, kinda pricey for a borrowed spreader!) I finally found some new links at a farm store nearby and today I had the fun job of taking each slat out, beating the old link off, and then I bolted using grade 8 bolts and lock nuts the new link on to the slat and re installed. I tightened the chain up and it seems to make a lot of snaps and pops as the links go over the sprockets. I baked the tension off some, but still seems to be doing it. I'm still thinking I have it too tight. Anyone have an owners manual for a 540 that tells what the proper tension is and how to figure it out? Or at least some guidance from someone who's had one of these spreaders and knows about how loose to have the chain. Thanks much!!

I would bet that the popping has nothing to do with chain tension. If the chain is worn that much the sprockets are more than likely worn too. New chain on old sprockets = noise. I've pitched a few spreaders out. Not fun

Nate

Archived