3688 tractor at auction

George 2

The 3688 at Bothwell went for $16000. Bought by a local and beat out the jockeys on price. One jockey said it went high. I expect he was referring to a $13000 to $14000 price was his expectation. So you can rest assured that it did not go cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

So you are saying I shouldn't feel too bad that I didn't get to the sale. I wanted to go, but I was sicker than a dog for about 2 days before and almost 2 weeks afterwards. Haven't had a cold/flu in almost 3 years, I guess I was due to get it! Damn bug, really kicks the crap out of ya!

Still searching for one, hopefully find one to suit my needs/wishes?

Picked up another 40 acres of land tonight to plant this Spring. That a nice feeling!

You will have to wait for another one to show up. I have been checking the websites and paper copy for some other equipment and in doing so I haven't seen any that are probably what you want. Just keep looking and be prepared to make a quick decision and travel a bit to see it before you buy.

It seemed like a nice tractor, didn't look abused at all in the pictures, just weathered some.

• 2 weeks later...

Polk Equipment Inc out of Leesburg Indiana has a nice one. Reputable sellers, always have good iron. Don't expect to steal it, they know the value of good clean older iron and stuff usually doesn't stick around there lot for very long. The exchange rate hurts right now, however compare that to the price of a new tractor of the same HP. Someone in the market for that size of tractor for a small farm especially south of the border, wouldn't expect that tractor to be there long.

The one at Polk Equipment is one of the first tractors built. Looks like original paint and is in pretty good shape. May have duals with it too. The inside photo of the cab interior says it's an early one.

Matt

Sorry about the t post above. My only comment on the 3688 vs the 5088 is that the 3688 is a very proven power train. At that point the 50 series power train was still somewhat under development and issues were still being worked out. You have to remember that once I was all set to buy a 2000 hour 5088 and before I could get a offer in, it came back from a daily rental with the differential badly damaged and the dealer had a rough time getting the parts to fix it. So that soured me on low houred 5088 tractors. I have also seen at least 3 others that ended up in salvage yards with differential failures.

Seen the one at Polk, actually been bugging them for over a week to get pictures of it. In decent shape, I agree. The exchange rate is what is killing me. Ad going into Ontario Farmer looking for one in hopes of pulling one out of a farmers yard who is sitting on the fence as to selling it or not now. I have to exhaust all my possibilities here in Ontario or Quebec first I think with the way the dollar is. I like the one at Polk, don't get me wrong. When you look at almost $26,000.00 plus shipping, plus the drive there and back at least once. Not sure if I'd have to show up the 2nd time to make sure what is loaded on to the truck is what I am buying or not. That would be the right way to do it, safest. Flying there isn't an option, $700.00 for a ticket return, plus car rental and hotel. Screw that! :wacko:

Will likely kick my you know what, but going to sit on the fence for the Polk posting.

The 5088 is out of the question. Just too large of a tractor. I proved that back in the winter once I went to see the 3688 I got screwed over on in Quebec. These are the perfect sized tractor for what I am needing. Find one with a loader on it and I am laughing, would have the perfect set up! Nice to hear your opinion George about the transmission on the 36's. Comforting that you, and hopefully others feel they are a good built unit that will stand up with few problems.

Will have to see what I find.

Wish me luck, I think I will need it.

here are the dimensions on the 3688 and 5088.

you are only talking inches for the differences in size.

the 5088 out weighs it but you got more tractor.

I have a 3688 and 5288. I like the 5288 better just

because it shifts better than the 3688. the 5288 you

can shift from low, medium and high on the go with

the clutch. on the 3688 you have to stop to shift from

low to high. the 3688 only has 2 ranges vs 3 on the 5288.

I also have a loader on my 3688 with joystick. it is not as

nice as I thought it would be. I will be selling the loader.

I also have 4rn corn planter. I would not hesitate to use the

5288 to pull it. i would not be afraid of the rear ends on any

5x88 tractor.

what are you future plans? expansion? you really can't be over

power but you can be under powered pretty quick.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/3/8/382-international-harvester-3688-dimensions.html

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/3/9/394-international-harvester-5088-dimensions.html

fwiw

Duane

I just feel the 5088's are just "too large" in dimensions for what I have for equipment and what I need. That's my feeling now. Nothing saying I am right or wrong. Its been discussed before that others think I am out to lunch NOT buying the larger 88 series tractors as well as I should be buying a Magnum too. But that is FOR SURE out of the question. Biggest thing we pull is the cultivator and the wagons in the fall to the elevators. We pull about 18 to 20 ton of beans in the wagons at once, two wagons. We picked up 40 acres this year that we are renting for 5 year term (unless we choose otherwise). That means we have beans to haul even further away from the elevators this year. With the seed drill and packer, it was a 55 minute drive from the farm. Then from our farm its another 25 minute drive in the other direction to the elevators, so you are talking just about a 1.5 hour drive one way with the tractor and wagons to haul beans. Some may think we are nuts, but have to do it this year for sure, buying a truck is out of the question. Land was cheap rent and decent soil. Land is VERY hard to come by around here unless you want to pay $250 + per acre, and well doing the math, you don't make money paying those prices! We have 215 acres of corn, beans & winter wheat to combine this year. That means we have at least 80 to 90% of those fields to work this fall (plow or at very least disc in the bean stubble). Future plans? I'd like to add another 80 to 100 acres to the total to be honest, more if I could. But I would imagine 100 acres is going to be hard enough to add to the mix, so will stay within reason for now. Eventually, upgrade the planter to a 6 row and add a no-till drill. Currently have a 3 furrow semi-mount plow, so maybe if the right deal came along, upgrade to a 4 furrow? But not anytime soon, the one we have is in good shape, rebuilt the coulter hubs last fall and new blades as well as new points.

You say your not as impressed with your loader on the 3688 Duane, why is that? Do you find the 3688 to not be a good loader tractor, too many blind spots? Not enough power? Not heavy enough?

What do you find are the good, bad, and ugly between the two tractors for what you do with them? How big of disc and cultivator do you pull with them? Do you haul wagons with them on the road or just on the farm? Does one handle them better than the other or both about the same. How often do you find yourself in the 3688 wishing you had that extra range to work with?

As a person who has worked around all of 3688 type sized and 50 type sized tractors, 20 ton of beans is too much weight for a 3688 to be hauling safely if you have any hills at all. I like you, haul about 20 tons of corn, beans or wheat on two 400 bu wagons at once. I have found that the 2wd magnum size (7120 or 7130) is about right if you have any hills at all from a safety perspective. I sometimes watch the antics of another farmer at the elevator with a MX120 hauling about 25 tons of beans. The tractor has a front end loader and is not weighted properly for what he is doing . Anyway the tractor skids when stopping and slips on the pavement when starting. The only alleviating thing is there are no hills from his place to the elevator. So you might want to consider your safety when deciding on the weight of tractor you are buying . And the MX120 is at least a ton heavier than the 3688.

Secondly, you may be looking for a needle in the haystack and going to all four corners of the earth to buy your fantasy tractor. The 3688 when new was not popular in our area with only two of them sold by our local dealer. There were lots of 3288 and 3088 sold by him (low price) but rarely did he sell a 3688. He also sold over a dozen 50 series tractors. So you are chasing a rare one. I honestly think if you really want a tractor in this size range (weighs a ton more), the best one is the MX Maxxum or the McCormick MTX equivalent built prior to 2008. Yes, they are more expensive, but they are from my experience a way better tractor than the 3688. I have the equivalent MX120 2wd with bar axles as my planter and small disking tractor. Some of the features they have is the synchronized range transmission and powershift speed transmission. That and the shuttle shift on the steering column make it handy to maneuver around machinery. And the heavy front axle is ideal for loader operation. The MFD version is more desirable for a loader, but low hour ones are becoming hard to find. Even the later McCormick versions are becoming hard to find low hour machines. They also have a much nicer cab than the 30 series IH tractors. That is why I suggest you take the blinders off and be pragmatic about fulfilling your tractor needs. And they don't have that awful reverse flow top side air intake like the 30 series and 50 series have. I know I cursed it on the 5488 I briefly had. The other thing you have to remember is that the last IH tractors (30 and 50 series) were vastly improved on by the successor tractors. I specifically refer to the 7100 to 8900 series Magnums and the MX100 to MX170 Maxxums. The 5100 and 5200 series Maxxums are good solid tractors also but the higher up cab with greater visibility offered by the MX Maxxums is a definite improvement.

I agree with you George 2 any tractor even todays modern ones are not capable of stopping 20+ tons behind them safely without trailer brakes. The other day I cut some hay with the 986 and the 8312 disc mower,it wasn't fun turning it reminded me when we tried the mx100 on it, the 7120 is the preferred tractor for that. One time I was trucking corn to Richmond On. I saw a big jd tractor pulling 3 wagons try to stop at a red light, the tractor started to bounce like a bucking bronco, when he finally stopped he was in the middle of the intersection! I can see mountain's point on the 3688 they are nice tractor and tractors are like women we don't know why, but we just want them??!! lol!!

tractors are like women we don't know why, but we just want them??!! lol!!

that's about it. It would make much, much more sense for me to run green equipment- four miles from the dealer, and I drive right by it to go either 25 or 30 miles (depending on which one I go to) to the red dealer. But I'm "at home" with the red ones in a way I just am *not* with a green one- even though I've liked every Deere with more than two cylinders I've ever run

I just feel the 5088's are just "too large" in dimensions for what I have for equipment and what I need. That's my feeling now. Nothing saying I am right or wrong. Its been discussed before that others think I am out to lunch NOT buying the larger 88 series tractors as well as I should be buying a Magnum too. But that is FOR SURE out of the question. Biggest thing we pull is the cultivator and the wagons in the fall to the elevators. We pull about 18 to 20 ton of beans in the wagons at once, two wagons. We picked up 40 acres this year that we are renting for 5 year term (unless we choose otherwise). That means we have beans to haul even further away from the elevators this year. With the seed drill and packer, it was a 55 minute drive from the farm. Then from our farm its another 25 minute drive in the other direction to the elevators, so you are talking just about a 1.5 hour drive one way with the tractor and wagons to haul beans. Some may think we are nuts, but have to do it this year for sure, buying a truck is out of the question. Land was cheap rent and decent soil. Land is VERY hard to come by around here unless you want to pay $250 + per acre, and well doing the math, you don't make money paying those prices! We have 215 acres of corn, beans & winter wheat to combine this year. That means we have at least 80 to 90% of those fields to work this fall (plow or at very least disc in the bean stubble). Future plans? I'd like to add another 80 to 100 acres to the total to be honest, more if I could. But I would imagine 100 acres is going to be hard enough to add to the mix, so will stay within reason for now. Eventually, upgrade the planter to a 6 row and add a no-till drill. Currently have a 3 furrow semi-mount plow, so maybe if the right deal came along, upgrade to a 4 furrow? But not anytime soon, the one we have is in good shape, rebuilt the coulter hubs last fall and new blades as well as new points.

You say your not as impressed with your loader on the 3688 Duane, why is that? Do you find the 3688 to not be a good loader tractor, too many blind spots? Not enough power? Not heavy enough?

What do you find are the good, bad, and ugly between the two tractors for what you do with them? How big of disc and cultivator do you pull with them? Do you haul wagons with them on the road or just on the farm? Does one handle them better than the other or both about the same. How often do you find yourself in the 3688 wishing you had that extra range to work with?

my biggest problem is visibility. I am used to an open station with a loader. just need more seat time. I don't use the loader all that much.

it is heavy enough and plenty of power. the shifting takes some getting use too. you have to stop to go into reverse and to shift from low

to high.

with my 3688 all I use it for is spreading fertilizer, pulling my 7200 4rn corn planter, my 7000 bean planter this 15 row 15" and my bush hog.

any tillage equipment would be a 14' disc, never pulled it, and 12' cutilmuchler. so I can't really say to much about the need for the extra range

cause I never worked hard enough to know. that's why I have the 5288. the 5288 pulls a 5 schank disc chisel, undersized for the tractor, a

21' 4300 field cultivator and 23' brillion packer and a 3 schank subsoiler. as I state early it's best to over powered than under.

I pull 3 gravity wagons with the 5288. I average 900-950 bu. I only pull them 4 miles and around 12 mph. the example given above

about sliding though an intersection or spinning tires is operator error. I am crawling by the time I get to a stop sign. starting out in the

right gear and not popping the clutch will keep you from spinning the tires. using the 5288 is nice to get the wagons started in the field.

you start out in low and can shift on the fly to medium, then to high or change gears. you don't loose your momentum as you would with

the 3688 since you can't shift ranges on the fly.

I have also pulled these wagon with the 3688 but only when I have too. I have a hill that I go around because down shifting is not as easy

to do and if it doesn't go, you might have a problem. other than that the 3688 works good.

good luck!

George2 is 110% right in all his observations in this post.

I'm going to do the obvious though, given my like of the 86 series.........

George2 said it and I'll echo it again: The 3688 is hard to find. When I went looking for that size tractor in 2008/09, I only found one 3688 up at Seaforth CaseIH. It was mechanically sound and the dealer used it over the winter as a yard tractor. It was just too cosmetically beat up for the price being asked. I ended up with a very nice late model 986. I know it's one generation older.......but, it will still to the job you are looking to do with it, and there are a lot of them out there.......

Tripp: Agree that there were very few of them sold here. Even Vincents in Seaforth sold very few of them. I remember once back in the early 1980's a conversation I had with their legendary Sales Manager Ken Coleman. He told me the 3688 wasn't priced right and was too close to a 5088 price. On the other hand he told me there was a large difference between it and the 3288 tractors. Coleman got a lot of respect from the Case IH people even in Racine. Of all the sales managers I knew, he was the "man" for selling tractors. You didn't go into his office without buying a tractor. Many dealers today desperately need sales managers like him. In fact, I bought my 7120 from him and he got action real quick from the CIH people when I wanted 20.8-R42 tires on it. He would bypass the local CIH sales people and go directly to the Sales VP somewhere in the USA, and his first question always was "Are you in the business of selling tractors?". To which they replied "What do you need". Truly a delightful person to be dealing with.

Our 1640 combine came from Vincents originally. Their decals is still in great shape on the side of it. Has Reis International on it now as well next to the ladder. Who ever owned it before us took care of it and replaced anything it needed. I remember many years ago always checking out their ads in the farm papers. I always thought they had a great listing of equipment - I guess if you sell a lot, you're bound to get a bunch of trade ins too! Never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Coleman, but sounds like the kind of salesman you would want to buy from, someone who is there to make the deals and see a customer go away happy.

But a 3288, you can't turn it up enough to match the hp rating the 3688's have can you? If you can, wouldn't that be hard on the tractor, increasing the wear & tear on the engine that much faster? Is it built strong enough to put out that much more hp?

Hi QC IH Man - yup.....that's me. I'm going to do 3 new videos this summer: A re-do of the 986 as it will have it's IH quick hitch on it, the 766 BS and the W-4. I'm also going to post a video about a new toy I built for a member on this site (as well as pictures on this site) after the RPRU.

Mountain Heritage: You are comparing a 90 HP tractor to a 113 HP tractor. 358 cu in compared to 436 cu in. Unless you hung a good sized turbo on the 3288 there is no chance it could put out the ponies without smoking badly. I am not sure of the transmission components. Most are the same but the clutch for sure has higher capacity. You just have to get rid of your fixation and do what is practical and that is get a later model Maxxum with easier parts availability. The MX120 I know makes the 3688 look like a piece of junk. I have driven both and own a MX120 and there is no two ways about it, that it is a major advancement. The Cummins 5.9 (359 cu in) sips fuel compared to the 436. 200% improvement in the transmission especially for a loader tractor. You have to remember the 3688 transmission was designed way back in 1959 whereas the MX120 transmission was designed a quarter century later. and on it goes. I still own a 966 and it has the same basic transmission as the 3688. It is not nearly as neat a tractor to drive as the MX120. That is why it is a shed queen. Kind of like comparing a 1946 IH W-6 to a 1971 model 574. No comparison. The improvements are obvious. And there are lots of MX120's and the later McCormick MTX120 around in dealers lots. You might just find you like the MFD option when the ground is a bit wet.

I know of 2 GOOD 3688s here in Ohio. Anderson Tractor at Bluffton has a one owner 2700 hr one, but you better jump on it because it's on rental because the guys tractor is having issues, and a good chance it will be bought by him. Or you got mine that I sent you pictures of. Your beating a dead horse with a stick.Trying for months now, finding a low hour, original, 3688 cheap. Unless you're the only one that knows of such tractor and whoever has it has no clue what it's worth, is the only way that will materialize. Bite the bullet and you'll be happy you did after some time passes. I know when I bought the Hydro 70 and Hydro 100 neither was the buy of the century, because not many were made. Kinda like a 3688, and I got over it and have no regrets. I don't think a 3688 will depreciate to less than you paid for it, as you seem particular in maintenance and appearance of machinery.

Archived