gafarm49

My first post.i have been lurking for quite a while and thought I would share my red. Notice the bent exhaust. All these tractors had that down here back in the day. Excuse the rims as that color will change.

post-116535-0-64260600-1429837679_thumb.

I'm sorry I don't have a picture but the one on my 1086 was bent forward for awhile. I had just acquired it and was out round baling. Rushed home in the rain and went to back the baler in a shed that was too low for the tractor. I was careful to check for cab clearance but forgot all about the stack. My wife still reminds me of it often...

It has happened to a lot of them, but it shows who truly cares and who doesn't when some stay that way. I know a person that got a 1086 to use, his father-in-law bought it new in 1979, the exhaust touches the cab, the doors are bungee corded against the hood and it still has a genuine IH coolant filter (not Case IH) on it. The same knot head wrecked the engine in his FIL's 966 by not tightening the oil drain plug, and left the 460 that his FIL also bought new sit near the river with flood warnings, tractor stayed under water for several days and was left to rot for 6 months after that. The 966 disappeared, and my brother-in-law got his Grandpa's 460 back on it's feet, in fact it's a visitor at Dirt Boyz as we speak.

Welcome to the forum , I have straightened a lot of those , just climb up on the cab , sit down on the roof placing your foot on the pipe and push it forward , that's it !! Check it for cracks and if it is just give our friend Dave Thumure a call and he will fix you up with new parts , pipe, elbow, muffler eliminator ?

Danny

Thanks yall! I gleaned a lot of info off this site especially getting the guages working. I had a 1066,1466 and a 1086 back in the 80s. I am semi retired after growing cotton all my life although I still have 18 chicken houses to look after. There's just something about those red tractors!!!

Don't feel bad. Our 786 has a lean on the exhaust pipe too. Grandpa when he called the shots didn't care to trim trees or do a lot of tree removal like Dad, my brother and I have embarked on. Grandpa was running corn planter and came across a tree branch that was to low and it bent it back. It's been this way ever since I could drive it. We tried straightening it one time. We had pipe wrenches on it. (It bent right where the elbow goes into the muffler ) we heated it while prying on it, but it went slightly back and then it started tearing at the muffler so we left it. Dad doesn't want to spend the big bucks to replace it and it's fine except for the bend. Yeah it looks dorky but other than that the tractor looks fine. I refer to it as the "Michigan lean".

Welcome......have solved the problem of leaning pipes on most of my tractors with a 3/8ths rod brace back to the top of the cab, two to be exact, on an angle from the pipe to the to edge. with overhanging branches around the perimeter of some of my fields, I find this very able to keep things straight/er......

have a good one,

Ron.E.

If overhanging branches are bad enough to bend your stack what are they doing to your mirrors and paint. I know I'm a money bags but I bought a Stihl pole saw and walk my bush lots and fence rows and cut off the offending branches. Best $750 I ever spent and almost the same price as rebuilding the exhaust system. Comes in handy when the better half wants some trimming done and you say I'll get rite on it and you gain brownie points. Cheaper than buying bigger and wider equipment so you stay farther away from the branches. LOL

John

Any Stihl dealer has of can get them. There are two models I have the bigger one extends about 14 feet and you can clean up a lot of brush. ( most JD dealers carry Stihl, I purchased mine from Lambton Kent Farm Equipment Wallaceburg)

John

Local rental shops rent the big Stihl pole saws around here. If you rent them the day before a National holiday you don't have to return them till the next day. I rented one for three days a couple years ago and trimmed up all my trees. I had several that were growing over the property line and the neighbor couldn't combine all his endrows. I would not want to buy one, they are miserable to use. After about 15 minutes of holding the cutting bar up in a tree I can barely move my arms.

Those Stihl pole saws are the best invention! I can't believe the number of people who DO NOT trim their tree along their fields. The let them grow and grow then one day they get so frustrated they bring in a hi-hoe and rip everything out. Then for the next while they wonder why all their top soil is blowing around so much. No trees left to hold it there. Its pretty bad in some places guys ripping out every tree for as far as the eye can see. I all for cleaning up, but some of these guys who clear cut everything I don't like it. After all, am I the only one who stops out in the field and has a cold one under the big maple or oak tree while working in the Spring? Heck, that's about the only way I can get the wife to show her face in the field, tell her to bring a cold one and a snack under the shade tree! B)

Nice tractor by the way, I will get down off my soap box now. Sorry for ranting on YOUR tractor thread.

How do you like the canopy feature, or you rather a full cab?

rather have a cab but picked it up at an auction a few years ago to run a module builder. we repainted it this winter(not professional at all) replaced front end parts and seat cushions and added the left side aftermarket steps. Its got the hardware for the winter soft cab.

Ga Farm

As I understand, the "Mexican" tractors were ordered by the Mexican Gov. in the early '80's. The deal fell apart after the tractors were shipped and on the border. They were then sold at a discount to help move them when IH really needed the money. Most of these tractors had a 4 post rollguard top and no T/A. Many if not all of them, had Spanish decals, but these may have been changed early on when they were first resold. There may be other ways of identifing these tractors, they were a no frills tractor.

GT&T

Welcome to the form . I love seeing restored tractors that look better than new- almost as much as tractors that are working everyday and it shows. As far as trimming trees go, a customer was in one day and had bought an chainsaw attachment for his skid steer. Makes quick work of overhanging branches. Put a grapple bucket on afterwards and job is done. I put some planks across a bale kicker wagon and trimmed trees that way. Didn't have a lot so it worked good. Plus branches fell in wagon so did't have to be clean up. Sure was tiring climbing up and down thou.

Archived