'96 Powerstroke R&R

A neighbor brought me his 96 Powerstroke in a F250. It barely runs, knocks and has water in the oil. A local shop told him that this one is shot and that it probably would be rejected for a core, so he's looking for a used one to drop in. Th original had only 136000 miles. Does anyone have much experience with these? It looks like the turbo might have to come off to gain enough clearance to get it up and out since the clearance between the front of the oil pan and the crossmember is slim. Also, whats the best way to remove the fan clutch from the water pump? This is a 5 speed truck. I have pulled IDI 7.3s and they were tight too, but this looks a little tighter. I would appreciate any suggestions, Thanks, Rob

There is a fan clutch wrench for the 7.3 powerstrokes. Find a good auto parts store that sells OTC, they can get you one. Or if you have a really good rental place that rents tools, they might have one you can rent.

Water in the oil is usually from a pinhole in the cylinder casting.

The block can be resleeved at a machine shop if he decides to go that route instead of used. (wouldn't want another engine that is about to pinhole)

The 7.3's need their cooling systems maintained in the same fashion as a wet sleeve engine.

Dip strips for checking the additive concentration and the fluids (DCA4) to keep the additive at the proper level are cheap compared to the repair bills encountered when maintenance is ignored.

There is a fan clutch wrench for the 7.3 powerstrokes. Find a good auto parts store that sells OTC, they can get you one. Or if you have a really good rental place that rents tools, they might have one you can rent.

The hex nut is 1-7/8" across the flats. You can weld something up out of flat stock as long as it doesn't get too thick, 1/4" to 5/16" max.. You may have to get creative to hold the waterpump shaft.

The PSD's really are not as prone to cavitation as the 7.3 IDI's were. I think You'll find bad head gaskets, maybe a bad oil cooler, or the injector cups can let oil & antifreeze mix I think.

Guy must not have taken very good care of it to only get 136,000 out of it. At 136K all I'd done to My '96 PSD was a cam position sensor and a glow plug relay. I didn't replace the first waterpump till 138K.

I think if You pull the radiator & waterpump the engine should come out O-K. The engine only has to come forward 5-6 inches for the clutch to clear the trans. input shaft.

Dr Evil, how often do you change your fuel filter and drain the water out of the canister? I drained mine just before we went to the roundup in July, and last week the "water in fuel" light came on again, so I drained the sump again. I changed the fuel filter at the recomended 15,000 mile interval and it is almost due to change it again. A friend of mine has an 01 with nearly fifty thousand miles on it and he has NEVER drained the sump or changed the filter!! Sounds like he may be asking for trouble.

Dr. Evil pretty much summed it up there about pulling the animal. To add to JD's statement about his buddies 01 who has never changed fuel filters...I got a call from a 20 year old guy who's whole family is good friends of mine, they own 3 powerstrokes in this one immediate family, anyways, he called and asked me were the fuel filter was on his dads 94 because it wouldnt hardly run....wow :blink:

Shawn

Thanks, guys. How expensive is it to overhaul one of these?Are aftermarket parts available or is this a Ford only fix? It is knocking pretty good and is missing on at least one cylinder, evident even at cranking speed. I'll just make a wrench for the water pump I think. I started on the front end the other night, and hopefully by tomorrow afternoon have it out. I hope to finish my beans today and tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes, I'll keep you posted, Rob

you can easily make the fan belt wrench, just by buying a cheap "big" wrench and grinding it down to fit between the fan and the clutch. That is what my dad did. Much cheaper than buying the "actual tool." Just a tidbit.

It won't be cheap to overhaul. If you want some good advice, go over to

Dieselstop.com, it is an all Ford truck/powerstroke site.

Also if you may, make sure to check out salvage yards/wreck yards. I could get a 2000 Powerstroke diesel engine for about $2000 that is all ready to go.

Depending where you live may inhibit your options. I don't know. Just trying to help out. I own a 96 F350 w/PS and have 178,900 on mine and runs like a horse.

Well, it finally came out! It fits like a hand in a glove and has to be twisted to get it out. The turbo has to come off and that is a job in itself! Also looks to be a lot easier if the trans is removed first, there realyy isn't enough room to get the moror forward and up to get the input shaft out of the clutch. It barely came out and putting it together will be even more fun. Turns out that 3rd piston on pass side busted up and ended up in the pan and con rod and pin bounced around in there until; they broke the block wide open. I only got a gallon and a half antifreeze out of the radiator, but over 6 galons out of the oil pan! Anyway, he thinkls hes got another one found for around 2750 w/ 86000 miles. Hope that one works out better! Rob

Archived