84 Series ROPS

Snowmad

I'm restoring my 584 and I'm thinking about adding ROPS to it with a canopy. I have the flat top fenders and I'm wondering how I'd mount a ROPS. Would I have to cut notches in the fenders to put them on? IH dealer was no help with finding a new one but my state has a rebate program to help pay for them (since farmers are an endangered species!) and they said a ROPS would cost about $2000. My cost would only be $500 IF funding goes through for the program. Just wondering if anyone has put newer aftermarket style ROPS on an 84 series, how hard it was to put on/if you have to cut the fenders up, and what you'd recommend for a canopy top/sun shade. Thanks much!

I'm trying to think how my 685 is. I think there are brackets that bolt onto the axe and come up on the outside of the fender a ways. The rops then bolts on the inside of the fender, through the fender onto the brackets on the outside of the fender that is bolted to the axe. Clear as mud, huh. Best way I can describe how they are mounted.

The rops is actually 3 main pieces; 2 lower bars and the top hoop. The 2 lower bars bolt to the axle and are outside the lower fender. The top bar (hoop) goes inside the top of the fender. You have to drill 3 holes on each fender for the bolts to pass through. Eason

Search the salvage yards for a factory one. I think the fenders on some were drilled already.

Get the factory ROPS as shown in the pic FarmallFan posted. You can see the 3 bolts. (the canopy and canopy completer kit is separate)

Salvage yard should be able to hook you up, local example:

http://www.chowntractorparts.com/ih484.htm

Newer 84 series and right up to the C series had rops "standard", and if ROPS were removed, the three holes are still there.

If you bolt the "legs" to your fenders, you will see exactly where to drill the holes.

I've seen "SIMS" ROPS and others installed on 84/74 series and the fenders had to be HACKED.

If you want folding ROPS get a set off a later C series.

I was at a CaseIH dealer close out years ago, former IH dealer, they had at least a dozen 84/85 series rops that were removed when a SIMS or Laurin cab was installed on a brand new tractor. Some even had the IH logo like shown in the photo.

Just as an aside.

The fenders in the picture look very simular to the fenders fitted over here.

Our ROPS frames bolt on to the fender as the fender is strengthened to carry it.

It looks like in the picture the fender has some supports built into it. Are they structural or just there to stop the fender flapping about. If that makes sense? ??????

my brother just added a Saf-T-Cab folding rops to his 784 through the nycamh program. the fenders needed a slot cut for the base pieces to go up through, but the sheet metal and wheels didn't need to be removed. the top section was bolted on after the base pieces were mounted. very neat and clean job. 584 is listed on his ROPS as one that it will fit.

nycamh should be ableto tell you if there is a canopy available.

NY BILL O I like the idea of folding not sure about cutting holes in fenders.

MTO, your pictures were most helpful. I couldn't "get" how they were able to work around the fuel tank. Very nice canopy as well.

Has anyone had any luck with the aftermarket plastic type canopies? I'm not terribly impressed but maybe they are OK. Any experience would be helpful.

Thank you all again!

NY BILL O I like the idea of folding not sure about cutting holes in fenders.

MTO, your pictures were most helpful. I couldn't "get" how they were able to work around the fuel tank. Very nice canopy as well.

Has anyone had any luck with the aftermarket plastic type canopies? I'm not terribly impressed but maybe they are OK. Any experience would be helpful.

Thank you all again!

We put 10,500 hours on a 5140 rops with an aftermarket canopy. No clue what brand as it was on it at 2,200 hours when we got it at an auction

Mine is just like MTO showed, and that top hoop is heavy, mine needs shortening by an inch. I can get it in the garage with a rear mounted impliment on it but if I take it off in there I cannot get out.

Mine is just like MTO showed, and that top hoop is heavy, mine needs shortening by an inch. I can get it in the garage with a rear mounted impliment on it but if I take it off in there I cannot get out.

Let some air outta the tires...

Just as an aside.

The fenders in the picture look very simular to the fenders fitted over here.

Our ROPS frames bolt on to the fender as the fender is strengthened to carry it.

It looks like in the picture the fender has some supports built into it. Are they structural or just there to stop the fender flapping about. If that makes sense? ??????

The north american market fenders are just sheet metal, the ribs are the strengthen them. I've seen the odd 84 series that was a true UK market tractor over here, the open station fenders and floor boards were totally different, even if the flat top portion looked the same. The UK fenders were almost like a cab with out the glass, doors and roof.

Archived